F2 and F3 tire selection - Track day use - Jennings GP

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by chobes, Feb 12, 2018.

1. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

Hello all. My son and I have nearly completed our rebuild of a '91 F2 for track day use at JenningsGP, to go along with a '98 F3. We're now shopping for tires and looking for suggestions as we have been told that JGP is quite harsh on tires.

Any suggestions on a good tire for that track specifically? We don't plan to run slicks initially, just looking for a solid tire to get started on.

2. ungwaha

ungwaha Well-Known Member

Pirelli! as long as you can find a 160 section tire.

3. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

Dyle likes this.
  4. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

Jennings sells and supports Dunlop.

5. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

Thanks for the recommendations.

6. boyoboy

boyoboy Well-Known Member

Do the bikes have OEM rims? The 98 has wider rims and came stock with 120/180 tires-(3.5"/5.0")

The 91 has narrow rims front and rear; and came with a 130 rear tire, and will be difficult to find modern rubber for... Avon has non dot vintage race tires that fit on narrow rims (expensive ! ) to fit the 91. I think they might have 120/150 or 160 that will work.

Note the rim widths of your bikes before speaking with the tire vendor(s) of your choice.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  7. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

Thanks for the response. The F2 and F3 both came with the same tire combo, 160/60/17 and 120/60/17, with the only difference being that the F3 has a 5" rear wheel while the F2's is narrower at 4.5". Perhaps you're thinking of the 600 F (Hurricane), as that did have a 130 rear?

8. boyoboy

Good day, I thought the cbr came out with the 4.5" rear in 94, the same year they changed the front fork from damper rod to cartridge. Maybe your bike has later rims..or Im old and forgetful lol. Regardless the 4.5" will allow you to run modern rubber. nice td rides for you and your son.

9. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

This is correct. F2 has a 4.5 and F3 has a 5 inch wheel for the rear for the life of each model.

10. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

Also just for turning laps to start on with track days, not racing, Q3+

dobr24 likes this.
  11. boyoboy

^and made in america !

12. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

120 front and 165 rear Bridgestone slicks.... Paging stickboy

5" is to narow for 180 IMO

13. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

The Pirelli 180/55 fits the F3 pretty well, it's the 180/60 that is too big for the 5" wheel. I learned this after a season on the 60 and then rode the 55 during an endurance race. Very noticeable difference between the two.

14. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for the responses. Found a great deal here in Central Florida on 165/55/17 for the rear, 120/70/17 on the front, both Dunlops. We'll run those and see how it goes. Only a few things to check off and these bikes hit the track.