1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insurance/House people - HUGE claim...

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Jan 17, 2018.

1. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Oh, so you mean something like, "Don't do white wheels again..." would be micr0-managing ??

:D

slimjim00 likes this.
  2. brex

brex Well-Known Member

All the builder has to do is write a long-assed 1000 word text. Use the same damn one every day because we all know Broome ain't reading that shit.

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I would love to see Broomes face when he's watching his web cams and the guys come thru to straighten some walls with 20lb sledges....
    "Hey billy joe bring that sledge over here. this plate has to move over about an inch. It'd be too much work to reframe it. Just knock'er into place."

badmoon692008 likes this.
  4. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

100%

Your previous posts came off confrontational and had a 'fuck you, do what I say, I'm the customer' kinda feel. I'm sure you're under a great deal of stress so that's certainly understandable. And you certainly can go in there with a 'hey asshole, what did you get done today?' attitude... but it's not going to yield the results you want.

Plus most of us have some idea how fucking insane you are, so we're probably imaging ALL sorts of scenarios playing out. :D

5. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Chris, I haven't looked into it yet regarding Tennessee, but make sure you research the assignment of benefit laws there. If the contractors are allowed to utilize them in your state, make sure you don't sign one. If you do, the contractor won't give a shit what you have to say, because they will be getting paid directly by the insurance company. I'm happy to discuss the ins and outs of an AOB once I have a chance to see if it's even a concern for you in Tennessee. I deal with them daily here in Florida and they can make a cluster fuck out of a simple claim.

6. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

What's your schedule like tomorrow? I'll probably call you, regarding the PM sent previously.

7. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Have a meeting from 7-9a. Call any time after 9:30 and I'll be free to chat.

8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:crackup::crackup:

10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

There has got to be a reality series in this.

11. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Broome: Hey!! Where's my TPS Progress report
    Contractor: "uh uh uh . . ."
    Broome: #uppercuts_for_all

After the fury:
    Broome: deep exhale....
    Broome: "Want a water? I got a pallet of it..."

BigBird likes this.
  12. joedogR6

joedogR6 Well-Known Member

Just so you're aware...no contractor that is decent and a professional in this town will A. Be available for 6 months or B. Put up with that type of attitude.

You will hire the lowest bidder that "has" to put up with you and will be extremely unhappy with the outcome. And yes, I live in the same town as you.

JBraun and Scotty87 like this.
  13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

You will be frustrated unless you are extremely lucky. Most of the nail beaters do not work at the same level of accountability that you are required to work at. But ya, it is not unreasonable to expect progress reports and hold their feet to the fire over scheduling and/or permitting fuck ups that add time to the project.

Phl218 likes this.
  14. JRA

JRA Well-Known Member

I really don't know anything about drilling wells except what I've observed when we've drilled wells for geothermal HVAC, so I'm going to guess that I have about the same experience in well drilling that you have in building. On the other hand I have at least the level of experience in building that you have in well drilling, so here's just a little advice on how to hire a builder. When you hire somebody for this work you should approach it as a partnership between you and the builder to achieve the end result that you want. A friendly relationship, and being reasonable and likeable, and someone who the builder is working with, as opposed to for, is how you get a good job. The most difficult jobs I've ever had have been when I've been working for someone. My most successful jobs have been when I've been able to work with the home owner. There's a big difference.

This is a small area with a small number of good builders who are already busy. There is a very strong chance that a contractor will decide whether this is something they are interested in just from initially speaking with you. It doesn't matter what the actual job is, it's what their assessment of the customer is that helps decide whether the work is worth pursuing.

lazlo, tony 340, Sprinky and 5 others like this.
  15. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

^^^THIS^^^

Have more to add to this conversation, but busy this morning...

16. slimjim00

slimjim00 Well-Known Member

Broome, you're the weirdest mofo I've ever met in the paddock but damn do I admire your positive attitude going through this.

Gorilla George likes this.
  17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

This information has me thinking that the best thing to do is get the current house patched up as quickly and efficiently as possible, then suffer through living in it for a few months while a new, perfect house is being built. Then sell the old water damaged house.

badmoon692008 and stk0308 like this.
  18. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

For real.

19. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I think part of it is that those of us in the industry are responding to a perceived tone that may or may not actually be how Chaotic is communicating with these guys. Good contractors can spot a trouble client a mile away, and have no reason to do business with them at the moment. Chaotic may very well be asking them these things as opposed to telling them which makes a ton of difference. But I believe the advice he was given by JRA is 100 percent spot on.

20. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

The good guys in the trades are usually booked out a good 2 weeks-month at minimum. They don't need new work.

If you meet a guy that says he can start tomorrow and gives un realistic finishing dates.....run.

However long you think this should take....add 50%

Phl218 likes this.