1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whole House Humidifier

Discussion in 'General' started by ClemsonsR6, Jan 1, 2018.

1. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

The only difference is that the A model uses an outdoor temp sensor to decrease humidity when it's colder outside. The idea is to get the dewpoint in the home below the surface temperature of the windows and prevent condensation from forming. The downside is that your house will be uncomfortably dry when it's bitter cold outside. In my WI home I override it. It's easier for me to wipe window sills than it is to rehydrate my wood floors.

@BigBird , That relay is useless and you can eliminate it. Just connect the line voltage leads from your transformer to HUM and Common (The common is probably connected already). Connect the 24V to the humidifier, and break the 24v hot with the control.

BigBird likes this.
  2. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I'd guess the previous owner had a fancy thermostat that they took with them when they sold you the house. That's the only excuse for that RIB relay to be there.

BigBird likes this.
  3. BigBird

BigBird blah

What would be a good thermostat to buy that's Smart Home friendly and can control the humidifier?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  4. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

If the beeb knew as much about racing as everything else we'd OWN MotoGP.

:D

badmoon692008 and BigBird like this.
  5. BigBird

BigBird blah

FTFY :D

Also, why does the relay only run on a 26V lead and not the 24V?

6. BigBird

BigBird blah

Thank so much @JBraun and @jt21 !!!

I went with a Honeywell IAQ thermostat I believe it's called. I'll remove the relay. I now have a Sensi Thermostat and a Honeywell 9580 to sell now.

Love the Beeb!

7. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

Glad to help. The vision pro with the eim is a solid combo. I run the prestige 2.0’s. Though I’m going to be guinea pigging some new zoning stuff here in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigBird likes this.
  8. BigBird

BigBird blah

Got to say with the Whole House Humidifier, what a difference! Even though it only runs off the cold water and when the heat is on, it went from 13% humidity in my house to the mid 30% and feels much better.

9. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

So.....bringing this thread back up for @JBraun

I received multiple quotes ranging from 2350 - 2800 for install.

Then one quote for like 1400.

What model Honeywell humidifier should I be looking at?

Also....any question to ask as to why the one guy at nearly half the price?

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The concept of adding humidity is alien to me.

11. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Are you sure we're talking humidifiers and not dehumidifiers? Those prices are very high.

12. ClemsonsR6

I made it very clear....quote a Honeywell TruSteam Humidifier.

They all seemed confused until I explained what and why.

13. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

lol yes I believe you need the de in front of it where you are.

14. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I missed that you were looking at steam. If my company were to install one, it would be around $2400. The low guy is no surprise, there's always someone who cuts corners or doesn't know their margins.

That said, I'm terrified of the things and we don't touch steam humidifiers. Honeywell says they've fixed the issues, but I still have PTSD from the few we installed.

I'd probably try to talk you into a bypass or fan powered unit. If you feed them hot water they should give you all the humidity you need. You still need to install an inline filter though. NuCalgon makes an inexpensive one that does the trick.

15. ClemsonsR6

Going to PM you.

JBraun likes this.
  16. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Whole house humidifier is a thing? Here in AZ we have no humidity and we want it to stay that way, weirdos.

17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I remember during Illinois winters, my parents ran a humidifier, it helped prevent static electricity shocks.