1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone ever regret a hobby/car/bike change

Discussion in 'General' started by ajcjr, Dec 23, 2017.

1. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Wasn’t that the death machine?

2. tlr74

tlr74 4seven4

Nope, that was the 749/687.
    The PS was awesome except keeping it In SS trim with shit brakes

t11ravis likes this.
  3. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

I regret selling tons of stuff. Because, sadly, when I'm down I sell stuff at bargain prices, even sometimes to friends. But when I'm back up noone will sell me shit without jacking the price way up.

One time around 2005 I gave...GAVE away 3 CB 350s, one of which was in very fine shape, titled and all along with a beautiful titled CL350 and a CB 175. I was moving and didn't have time to F with it. Karma did not pay me back. I got married in 2008 and wanted to find a nice CB for the wife to learn on, but fuck if I could find a single worthy bike for under $2500.

I sold my BMW R75 roadracer that I had invested a fortune in to a "friend" for $1500 when I had lost my job and needed cash. When I wanted to race again, he had pulled the engine out and wouldn't sell that back because he wanted to study all the CC Products parts in it. He sold me the the rest for $3000.

I try to blame everyone else, but the truth is I am kind of a putz that doesn't manage his money very well.

4. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Sounds like you got some shitty friends as well.

5. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Sold the race bike 4 yrs ago now. Bought 69 Camaro convertible a year and a half later. Will probably never sell it but do often think about buying one that has enough power to blow the tires off of at 60mph. I DO miss the bike racing but would start racing something again in a minute if my kid wanted to try.
    Keep thinking I should sell the street bike as I have only put on 300 miles in 3 years. But when I do want to go for a ride it is nice to have it there.

6. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

Most of my motorcycle friends are fantastic people that would do absolutely anything for me. There have been a couple duds, though.

7. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Fifty!

motoboy likes this.
  8. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Thought it would be cool to build a Subaru track car. Easily spent $20K on the motor alone. Took it to Willow Springs and noticed bikes running on Streets of Willow.
    Hmmmm bikes, never thought about 'em before. I thought only pro's could ride bikes on track.

I drove up and watched the bikes, I was hooked.
    Bought a 1989 GSXR 1100 within a few weeks, took it to the track and sucked in C class. What a rush though, I loved it.
    Now I've 5.5 bikes and still have the Subaru. Wish I'd have kept the '89 1100.

I haven't been to the track in 3+ years, just ride dirt bikes in winter out at Ocotillo.

The car's too damn expensive to run at 4 mpg at $8.00 per. Tires, tires & more tires $$$$.

ajcjr likes this.
  9. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Wish I still had my NSF100 and Dream 50r. Flipped them for a profit but would rather have them on display in my basement now.

ajcjr likes this.
  10. HAZE

HAZE Group Therapy

I regret selling every motorcycle I ever sold. You just have to go buy another one to replace it

11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

There's yet to be a four wheeler I regret departing with...haven't owned a Porsche, tho'. :D

Two wheelers? Yup. My first brand new one, '86 GSX-R750. Not so much regret as it is disappointment...there will never be another one. With the exceptions of the '92 GSX-R750, '94 VFR and '94 XR650L that I have no regrets having sold, I haven't sold another bike since '95 and I've gained about a dozen. Bikes ain't goin' away.

Kinda the same with guns...got rid of a few (only one regret - it was replaced), kept everything since '95 and then some. ;)

Still have my Nitro truck...pain in the ass. Costs the same to convert it to electric as it does to buy a new electric. So, it sits in a box. :rolleyes:

Damn Beeb and that drone thread. Then my buddy's stepdaughter gets one and I fly it like a pro. Never flew one before so, now I'm lookin' to get my electric freak on in the sky. o_O

WTH? If it ain't one thing it's another. Right? Might as well...:crackup:

Shit...forgot about the music equipment that I don't play. Same old story - got rid of a few. Now I don't keep up with what I have. :oops: (Kinda the same with the bikes.)

ajcjr likes this.
  12. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Sold an 04 RC 51 - regretted it instantly - bought another one less than a year later - still have it.
    Sold a VFR 800 - regretted it over time - got another one last year.
    Sold a monster S4RS - never regretted it once.
    Have an E55 (had it for over a decade - over 100,000 miles on it (never was a daily) - will never sell it. There's been a few cars and trucks over that period that have been all sold/traded - never missed them.

If you have an irrational attachment to the Porsche - keep it. If you "like it" - sell it and go find something that you love (especially if it makes zero sense).

Personally, I dig the fact that you're looking for something to do with your 13 year old - maybe have the conversation with him about whether to sell it for a project. . .or finding a way to turn the Porsche into a different kind of project. . .:D

13. In stock form the TL1000S made about 98-100rwhp. With a Yosh pipe, a Power Commander, and dyno tuning, it could get up in the 110-114rwhp range. And that was waaaay more power than the frame and suspension could handle.

14. I’ve “bought” 2 bikes from friends and sold them back both a few months later for the same.

motoboy likes this.
  15. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

Like rd400 racer said, first world problems o_O(Wierd Al).
    I have got rid of sooo many cars and bikes I wish I still had. Two 440 six pack dodges, two tower shaft Ducatis, 750f1 Ducati, 1970 kaw h1, 1979 911 SC, and others. But my garage is too full now anyway. This experience has taught me that I'm KEEPING my TZ250 and my vintage 430wr husky.

Scott47 likes this.
  16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

A '97 before the recall made more power than that, I think. Like the 96 GSX R, they were neutered when they were recalled. (The difference between my 96 and my 97 GSXR was huge.)

17. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

Impossible to regret

33451421-9303-47D6-8E02-46D82A0632DB.jpeg F64BF1B2-8C91-45B2-B98E-FE2625720B96.jpeg

18. 418

418 Expert #59

That makes sense. I wanna say when Performance Bikes tested the first TLS in UK it made 122rwhp. But it was a "press bike".

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That definitely sounds high. The way I remember it, the US magazines had it at maybe a couple of HP under the GSXR before recall.
    My friend who had both the 96 GSX R and 97 TL turned down both recalls, if I remember right. :D

20. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member