Newbie Hawker

Discussion in 'General' started by isolato, Mar 14, 2004.

1. isolato

isolato Well-Known Member

Hey everyone!

I've got an '89 Hawk NT650GT that I've decided to keep riding on the track this year ... last year was my first experience on the track: one day at Mid-Ohio and three trips to Grattan. OMG. You know the rest ... totally hooked.

Anyway, I know the Hawk isn't very competitive anymore, but that's really not a concern to me yet. I just want to learn to ride really well, and I don't have the $$$'s to buy another bike right now ... I've got a VTR1000F Superhawk as my street bike, but I think it is just way too much for the track (for me).

I'm wondering if anyone out there can throw me some pointers. I'm about to do the common "F3 front end" mod that is common on Hawks ... this will give me an adjustable front suspension, two discs, and better tire choices. I'm also going to put on UniPods and a Factory Stage 3.0 kit in a couple weeks. And yup, you guessed it, the Hawk has a good 'ole Supertrapp exhaust!

I'm 6' tall, and weigh about 200lb, so I sure ask a lot of the bike. Again, if anyone has any advice (other than lose the winter fat) I'd appreciate it. :)

THANKS!
    - Gustav -

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Get the suspension set up before you even look at the motor. Actually, forget about the engine entirely for the near future.

A well set up suspension and track time will do more for you than 5, 10 or 100 more hp.

Oh, and get a good steering dampner.

3. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

hawks

depends a lot upon what you want to do. the hawks are still competative in their respective classes depening upon what you plan to do with the bike. Most people race the hawk in clubman but you have to run it stock. if you replace the front end with an F2/3 one then you won't be clubman legal. same for the missing airbox. if you keep the airbox (put in a factory 1.0 jet kit) and a pipe and focus on suspension then you can be competative in clubman depending upon who else is out there (some 750SS ducks will be hard to beat if they have a good rider on them). main thing is to get a good rear shock (penske, fox if you can find them they aren't making motorcycle shocks any more, or Ohlins), and race tech stuff in the front end with new springs and you're good to go with the stock bike. Oh yeah and the M4 is the hot ticket for the exhaust these days.. ;)

put on stainless front brake line, some good pads (EBC HH or Vesrah RJL"s if they make them for the hawk) and some good rearsets and you're good to go.

if you decide to go the different front end route, then you are into Dsuperbike class and lightweight twins. Without major motor mods (and a grenade for a motor) you will be handed your a$$ in lightweight twins by SV's.

but that's about all it takes. main thing is to just get out there and lean the tracks and what it takes to race. you'll get there and can get a more competative bike next year or the year after when you are up to speed and can actually use the bike.

I just sold my SS hawk a few months ago and might race my superbike hawk once or twice before I put it back on the street... :)

Jeff

4. isolato

Thanks! It's good to know that I've already done some of the things you've mentioned: stainless brake lines, EBC pads. I bought the bike used in 2000 and it came with a Progressive rear shock and Progressive springs in front. I really don't know if these cut the mustard, and I have heard a dozen or so times that suspension really is the first thing to work on.

Last week, a buddy of mine gave me the F3 forks, clip-ons and tripples, and I found a complete F3 front wheel and rotors on ebay for cheap enough that I figured "what the hell? why not?"

At this point I know very little about WERA ... how to get one's license, what all of the classes are, etc. I still have all of the stock parts for my Hawk, so if I do decide to race it someday, then the class you mentioned could work for me. I'm sure that I'll be at the WERA weekend at Grattan in early May, so hopefully I'll meet a bunch of people there and figure out what the best plan is for me for the next year or so.

5. Racer 23

Racer 23 Well-Known Member

www.hawkgt.com

Check out the mailing list at hawkgt.com, lots of info on EVERYTHING ever tried on a Hawk.

Lots of interesting characters also.:D

6. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

When it *does* come time to do some motor work, the Wiseco +1mm 11:1 compression piston kit is the BEST money you can spend on your motor.

HUGE difference, waaaay more power everywhere in the powerband.

Added 8HP at the rear wheel to my Hawk.... :clap: :beer:

7. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I just came back from Barber track day where I was riding a hawk. It is a bit of a challenge to keep up with bigger and newer bikes, but overalll it was great fun. makes you really work on corner taking.

If you still have stock rearsets look into riser plates or aftermarket rearsets. Stock ones fit the deck to easy.

Alex

8. gettr

gettr Member

A 900RR shock will fit on the back... and will jack the rear ride height up a bit (not a bad thing for the Hawk). Take the spring off the stock shock and put it on the 900 shock. But, only do this if finances are low, you'll be much happier w/ a fox or other. Only other thing (not mentioned) was a steering damper....

Hawks will definitely make you learn about keeping your corner speed up....LOL.... Still got one in the back of my garage somewhere....(Had to have a street one to put all my race parts on when I finished racing!!!)

9. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I have a couple 900RR shocks that have been fitted with hawk springs. Trades welcome.

10. isolato

Any idea if the 900RR rear shock is a better/worse option than the aftermarket Progressive shock that my hawk currently has?

11. mreish

mreish Junior Human Stink Beast

You don't want that F3 front end. You want to sell it to me.

12. Wade Parish

Wade Parish North Central Hawker

13. mreish

mreish Junior Human Stink Beast

I imagine one must have some talent to even notice a lightened rotor?

14. Wade Parish

Wade Parish North Central Hawker

Well now, unsprung and rotating weight are very important, ya know....