1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What makes the R6 so much faster?

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Sep 17, 2017.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

We know that. I'm asking why? It's still just a motorcycle. It has an aluminum twin spar frame, a dohc I4 engine, usd forks, swingarm, etc.

What's specifically different about this bike that makes it so much easier to go fast on, and to modify to be even better?

I know I'm asking the wrong person here :Poke:, but are other bikes not capable of getting the same chassis geometry? Is there something in the bore/stroke or head design that is much more efficient than other bikes? I know Honda got some allowances for head porting and valves to be a little more competitive when JU's team ran them.

2. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Piano power? I love seeing people with these stickers on there cars.

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I never knew there so many avid pianists.

4. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Or at least smart ones with a well built piano.............:D

5. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

their

6. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

I miss seeing that dude racing....

JustaNobody and RRP like this.
  7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Yeah me too. Bummer he's gone the way of Spies :(

JustaNobody likes this.
  8. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

There's nothing special about the R6. It does well in the US because there's a lot of set up info available. There are some riders that love it and there are some top level pro racers that don't like it much at all. Every bike has benefits and weaknesses.

In BSB the Honda is winning the SSP championship and the Kawi is on top in the SSTK championship. In Europe the Kawi is leading the world championship.

This year in MA SSTK the Suzuki and Kawi won multiple races. Even in club racing guys are winning on other bikes.

For sure the R6 is the popular choice here in the US. It's not because the bike is better than any of the others....but it does benefit from a wealth of set up info. Plus the pre 2017 models were going super cheap off the dealership floors and Yamaha financing is one of the easiest to get approved for, so there's a lot of street squids contributing to a healthy spare parts/ salvaged bike market.

A good rider and crew that can get the most out of their package every weekend is more of factor in racing success than the bike they are using.

9. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

[​IMG]

MELK-MAN and TLR67 like this.
  10. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

ive always wondered if the differences in throttle control is impacting performances in any of the classes. R6 is full fly-by-wire, Kawi and GSXR only have electronic control of secondary butterflies if im not mistaken, and the CBR is straight classic throttle. corner entry and engine braking is sooooo important for the lap time and we all know the throttle control is hurting the CBR. i just wonder if the Kawi and GSXR are hurting compared to the R6.

11. A lot of it depends on the rules and support level. As seen by the Honda in WSS...when you can build the shit out of it and have an unlimited budget, damn near anything can be fast.

But if somebody said "all you can do is change tires" and I was forced to race a bone stock bike, my money would be on the R6.

Off the showroom floor, it changes directions faster and has a higher top speed than any of them.

cav115 and BigBird like this.
  12. BigBird

BigBird blah

and work better with Dunlops in MA.

418 likes this.
  13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Well, the ability to reflash the stock ECU and do all sorts of trickery on the R6 is nifty to be sure. You can have adjustable engine braking, clutchless downshifts, and now on the 2017 manipulate the TC and launch control as well if I'm not mistaken. That's a pretty nice laundry list of adjustments to have in the stock ECU

https://ftecu.com/shop/2017-yamaha-r6-racing-electronics-kit/

The Honda, Kawi and GSXR don't have that kind of free reign in the stock ECU. In WSS competition where I think you can still use aftermarket ECUs probably gives them more flexibility to play with electronics. As Pridmore has said many times on the TV broadcasts, these days you heard the teams talking alot more about electronics setups than suspension or chassis modifications. So at least on this side of the pond, that might have something to do with it, not to mentioned the tremendous presence Graves has in the Yamaha squad, both for their own team and all the teams they support on the side with parts and data.

14. You could add TC to the ECU of previous R6's also.

15. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

All of the bikes in MA SSTK work fine on the spec tires. Even the Kawis had no issues with the tires....and one of them was on the stock forks for nearly the entire season (and had multiple podiums).

Cajun Kid and BigBird like this.
  16. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

What does Yamaha's musical instrument logo have to do with the R6 dominating? :Poke: ;)

17. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

They were tuned well??

Gorilla George likes this.
  18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Blevins ran the Kawasaki and did well, but still complained of chatter and had to compromise on setup to make it work.

19. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Having ran the R6's last year and the 675's this year. The easiest answer it what has been said. Set up. Sure the R6's are screamers, but really it's that they are so easy to set up and the data is out there on them. A mm or 5 won't change the bike drastically. I think I set the rear on the R6 at 295 and the forks flush or maybe 10mm and that was it. Needed nothing else really.
    The bike has a ton of front end feel, which I like, and is very flickable. With the correct springing it will go anywhere you point it effortlessly.

These 675's on the other hand.... oy vey. Change one thing, 3-5mm and it makes a noted difference. It is more flickable with the stockish set up, but will run you wide. The front end is also pretty vague and doesn't have much in the way of feel. Rake it out and stretch it and it gets better.

I have a GSXR and it is closer in feel to the R6 really. It's just not as fast on top end.

I have never ridden the Kawi's yet but I can tell you they are absolute screamers straight out the box.

20. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Also the R6 has left WSS, then come back and been competitive right away. Sometimes with a 2 or 3 year old leftover bike. Maybe not dominating, but I can't see Honda, Kawi or Suzuki battling for podiums or wins after being away for a couple of years. Sofoglu's dominance is the only thing keeping them from taking the championship this year. I don't see any other Kawi's in front of the R6 horde, so it isn't the bike.

The Great One likes this.