1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which AR 15 type rifle?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mille R, Jan 26, 2012.

1. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

I have two sets of stock mag puls (sp?) that I took off my M&P-15 and my Kriss. PM me you address and I'll send a set to you if you want.

I'm not sure if they are worth a shit as I never used them. I literally took them off the day I picked up the weapons and installed a scope.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  2. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Yeah that's what's on my 5.56. Just seeing what else might be out there.

3. Scotty87

Awesome! Lemme know what I owe ya homie.

4. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

A beer if you're ever in central Florida :beer:

SpeedyE likes this.
  5. Scotty87

You got it!

SpeedyE likes this.
  6. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

OK, I made it 15 pages in and I can't read anymore...

Planning on picking up my first AR in the next couple weeks. Want to go with a fairly basic 5.56. I like the M&P15T, particularly the handguard and sights(as compared to a super basic carbine). Is there another model/brand that is good quality but maybe a bit lighter on price or does it make more sense to go flat top, switch out the handguard and add sights?

I was hoping to stay around $800, but willing to go to $1k.

Lawn Dart likes this.
  7. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

I bought an assembled upper and a lower kit from Palmetto State Armory. Couldn't be happier. Price was great. Assembling the lower was easy as hell. And they have their own branded mags that can be had for 6.99 or 7.99 on sale, never had a problem with them. I built my gun without sights for under $700 IIRC.

For a starter gun, it's economical way to go. You will be making changes soon enough, don't spend a lot up front.

8. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Aero Precision has complete rifles on sale right now, https://aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-c...172017-04-21+21:00:00&sc_eh=cd6df09a2e46163e1

9. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

10. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I really like that gun. The one complaint about my Colt 6920 is that the hard sight up front makes it a little less flexible for switching things out or customizing.

11. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Don't have enough knowledge of AR's to comment on it. I have an Aero I built and it runs fine.

12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

So the M&P Sport 2 now come with forward assist and a dust cover, but is cheaper than the original(but out of stock at DeGuns.net).

13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Stag made the first M&P rifles for S&W. Aero is more recent.

14. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

So here are my top 3 at the moment:

M&P Sport 2 for $540 + sights and hand guard
    Stag Model 3 for $650 + sights
    AP with full size hand guard for $700 + sights

Differences I find are:
    1) chrome lined barrel(Stag & AP) vs coated/treated(M&P)
    2) M4 feed ramp(AP) vs A3?(M&P, Stag)

Razr likes this.
  15. r6khari

r6khari Well-Known Member

It would be worth your while to check out the Springfield Armory Saint. It is a nicely equipped AR that can be picked up for under $800. Google some of the reviews on it.

16. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

From those choices, I'd go with the Stag, as it's cheaper than the Aero, and the M&P sport takes some liberties with specifications as I understand it (no first hand knowledge, though.)

Aren't you in Minnesota? Maybe I have that mixed up. But if so, You could go local and buy a Alex Pro Firearms. From what I've seen they are easily on par with the Stags and Aero. They're in Alexandria, although they seem to have trouble keeping them stocked around Fargo lately. A buddy has one and it shoots great and has been real reliable.

A note about chrome lining - I bought an upper from a top level manufacturer (CMMG) about 8 years ago. About 100 rounds later, the upper blew up. I thought it was ammo, but when I called them just for kicks, they told me they had a bad batch of chrome lined ones, and it caused problems like I had. They have since switched to "gas nitride" coating, claiming it's 90% as tough and less problematic. For most shooting, I think that's a better option.

17. JeffroJ

JeffroJ 3 Ninjas and a Mexican

18. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I've narrowed it down to most likely picking up an M&P 15 Sport 2 locally(little higher price than I can get online+ffl transfer fee, but I also dont mind supporting local brick and mortars, especially when they are my go to ffl).

Havent pulled the trigger yet, because I want to be sure there isnt another firearm I want more. Theres a list of guns I want.....

19. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

:crackup:
    Welcome to another addiction.
    It's kinda cyclical. You get one, think it's all you need/want, find more, get them, end up with more than you can carry, think you can do with just one, find it, consider dumpin' the rest - but remember the regret of selling just one. Now you have more than you know what to do with...and what purpose can they all serve collectively?

I'm seriously thinking about downsizing, not that I have a lot (12?, I'm not countin'), but I can't think of a single one I'd get rid of...in fact, I can only think of gettin' more. :D
    Addiction?

So, it doesn't really matter what you get. You're gonna get more anyway.
    To your choices, I'd get a chrome-lined AR first time around...they're basically beaters in that you can run 'em to death...and they still live. Afterwards, you might be better informed of your personal likes and dislikes as it has to do with the current platform, and there's the rub. You'll go through the same process with the newest acquisition...and the cycle perpetuates itself. ;)

20. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Yeah, It's always a battle, with any hobby or interest. My problem is that I like to do a wide variety of theings, and only have so much money.

My current list of guns I want are:

AR15
    7mm-08 bolt action
    Browning Buckmark with suppresor
    Marlin 336 30-30
    CZ75

I dont shoot any of my guns very much, so trying to decide which to buy first based on what I would probably get the most use out of.

The AR would probably get shot once, then sit.

The 7mm might get some bench time as I'm interested in trying some longer range shooting, but that requires finding a range to join. I dont rifle hunt, but I would like to have a proper deer rifle in case the opportunity arises. The rifle I want is $600(Tikka T3, but then at least double that for glass, and my current budget was $1000, but I just wouldnt tell the wife. :D

The Buckmark would be for around the homestead and to carry while deer hunting and maybe some trigger therapy.

The 30-30 is because, well just because.

The CZ is low on the list as my 1911 is my carry gun, but the CZ might be a replacement.