wtb 125

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by keg0900, Mar 1, 2004.

1. keg0900

keg0900 none ya

is it possible to get a 125 gp bike for under $2000?
    if so where?

2. kamisama12

kamisama12 Well-Known Member

nope, not really

most are in the range of 2500-4000 ( or up )

check out www.usgpru.net/forum in the classified section for a good list of 125's for sale

another good site for bike is fatbaq.com

3. hey i just sold you a nice 95 machine for 2,000
    in my opinion most 125's are overpriced
    i just paid 4,500 for a 98 (i question if it is worth that much)
    people compalin and yip about the spares that go with it, big whup
    i would think anyone with a 93 or 94 bike should sell for less than 2 grand
    someone sell this guy a bike for what it is worth

4. keg0900

keg0900 none ya

thats kinda what i was thinking

maybe get something under 2000 to learn on and not cry if it got smashed and once i learn more move up the ladder with a better bike and pass the other one on to some kid who cant afford a 5000 dollar bike and could use some help.

5. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

After it's first showing at Jennings and your "enthusiasm" as you pulled out, I would question it's worth also.

6. Cliff0529

Cliff0529 Well-Known Member

Keg, I think you should be able to find a good 1991-1994 style one for that much. Colin (kamisama) sold his 1993 for $1500 so that he could buy John's 1995. Just have to stay diligent and look for them.

BTW, if you get one of the older ones ask them what shape the expansion chamber is in. Colin's went through 2 in less than a year. If you get one my first move would be to order a custom chamber from Tommy Crawford, he supposedly builds them out of a little thicker aluminum so they don't pop nearly as easily. :)

7. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

You shoud have no problem finding a Yamaha in that price range, in great shape.

I bought my Wife's '94 TZ125 last summer for $2k. It was in immaculate condition, fully kitted with J-Racing stuff, and came with a ton of spares (cylinders, heads, pipes, etc, etc).

- Roach

8. keg0900

keg0900 none ya

that sounds good about the yamaha but all you see is hondas??

9. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

There's actually quite a few out there, just not as many as the Hondas.

Until you're ready to try and get on the podium, it really won't matter what you're riding. (And even then, it still may not matter ;) ). You're not going to be able to push the bike (TZ or RS) any where near its capability.

Last year, I bought my wife's TZ and wanted to set it up for her (Ok, and have some fun). Not having been on a 125 for 3 years, I ran the Summit USGPRU and finished 7th. I raced it again at Summit a couple weeks later and got into the low 1:25s which was about 2 seconds faster than I was at the USGPRU event.

The Yamahas are easier to tune, easier to get parts for, and are a little easier to ride (IMO, having owned and raced both). Downside? Top-end speed. I actually think my wife's Yamaha handles a lot better than my Honda ... but I'm going to work on that. It definatly comes off corners better. But in the top-speed dept, there's no contest.

And ... for the $2k you're looking to spend, you're looking at a pre '95 Honda, which isn't going to be as good as a '94+ Yamaha.

- Roach

10. Litespeed

Litespeed Rocket Scientist

Unlike the other post in this thread, the spares that come with the bike are crucial assuming they are usable parts. Try pricing out a new cylinder or head and you will see exactly what I'm talking about. Spare gears also tend to get pretty pricey since you are more likely to change them on a 125 than any other bike. A full set of jets should be considered mandatory as well.