1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rearset Install Confusion

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Auron, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Auron

Auron Well-Known Member

I've had this problem on two different rearsets and I can't imagine why they make them like this.

- See the two #2 bolts that go through #14 and bolt to #13? Hard to see but you're looking for the two bolts used when adjusting the peg postition.

- Why is it that ID of the holes in #14 are so much bigger than the OD of the bolts that hold #14 in place?

- This allows #14 to pivot around the #2 bolts when you depress the brake lever and also doesn't allow the lever to return to it's normal position, which makes it impossible to have a working brake light.

I had this issue on a set of Dan Moto's which I chalked up to being cheap chinese crap even though Dan Moto said that's the way rearsets are. Now that I'm having the same issue with a set of Gilles I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Thanks in advance

[​IMG]

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

While your diagram represents neither brand, I can understand using it to clarify the individual parts in question.

You bought Chinese shit both times, didn't ya?

I'm not gonna tell ya how to fix it because I consider shit products in this capacity to be a major safety concern.
    ...and there should be no movement of that plate when properly torqued.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  3. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

OP says they are a set of Gilles. I was always under the impression Gilles made quality parts. I am thinking either you are using the wrong bolts or you got hosed and ended up with some ebay chinese garbage. I can tell you Woodcraft and Vortex rearsets don't move other than the actual moving parts.

4. fastfreddie

If he had Gilles, he wouldn't have a problem.
    From the looks of the DanMoto, he shouldn't have his problem.

dsmitty37 likes this.
  5. Auron

Auron Well-Known Member

Here's some videos, sorry about the quality. they show the left side screwed up too.

6. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

Looks like you have a hardware problem of some sort, bolts aren't tight for whatever reason.

7. Auron

Auron Well-Known Member

Who knows, either way everything is tight and I didn't have one bolt or washer left over. They came in a genuine Gilles box and the way look quality-wise gives me to reason to believe they're a knock off.

8. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Looks like the bolts are bottoming out before tightening onto Part #13, perhaps they are too long?

9. Auron

Auron Well-Known Member

I just went for a ride, they actually work fine except I have no rear brake light. The problem with the Dan Moto's (different design, same problem ???) was that when they'd pivot it would loosen the peg and the peg would spin. They don't do that but it's still not right, I email Gilles, we'll see what they say.

10. fastfreddie

What year is your bike, '07-'08?
    I can't find any AS31GT rearsets for it. There are AS38GTs and Factor-Xs, but the AS31GT doesn't seem to exist for those years on a CBR600RR.

11. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

As others have said, you have a hardware problem. Even Chinese parts would tighten down at first (or break). Sounds like the bolt seems like it is getting tight but is hitting something else before it actually is. Look behind the rearsets and see if there is something the bolt is bottoming out on.
    Try a shorter bolt or add a washer (or 2) under the bolt head to see if it fixes the issue.