Things to do in Maine (or Banff, CDN)

Discussion in 'General' started by Lanceabillion, Apr 4, 2017.

1. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

If you are looking at going to Canada and want just a hiking/biking scenery vacation take a look at Waterton Lakes Park. It is actually nicer than Banff. If you want more amenities like the hot springs, lots of restaurant choices, some shopping and the scenery then Banff would be the place to go.

2. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

Two of my favorite places on earth. In Belfast Maine try Youngs Lobster Pound, Rollos for a beer and the food coop just for fun. Arcadia is special.
    In Bannf the scenery up the Icefield Parkway is incredible. There is a hotel about 1/2 way to Jasper that looked special, looking out over the Columbia Glacier. I don't think you can go wrong either choice

3. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

So having lived in Maine most of my life you forget how unique it is. I currently live in East TN and without exception, every person I talk with about Maine says it was the best vacation they have ever been on that wasn't themed park oriented. Most of them went to Acadia. Fall colors are hard to beat and the rocky coast is better than the postcards. Locals cannot annunciate AR words and that just adds to the charm...yeah most of them drink a lot too. July and August usually have the best weather. First of October is hard to beat for leaf color. If you go inland go to Moosehead lake region. I lived and worked in that area for 10 years. Best area for easy accommodations and selection of activities. Rangely area is a hidden gem if you are into researching and planning your trip.

Banff area is pretty awesome but to me a completely different experience. Apples to oranges so to speak.

DrA5 likes this.
  4. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Never been to Banff so I can't compare, but growing up in the Pine Tree Shithole I have to agree with the whole taking for granted thing.

Some of the most scenic non-coastal driving I've done is up through western NH and western Maine, following the rivers. Old mill towns and lots of curvy roads with hella elevation changes. Never dared to go two-wheeling out there, fer sher I'd end up at the bottom of some ravine.

5. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I would bypass Banff proper if you can work it out. Jasper and Lake Louise are nicer and closer to the more beautiful parts of the park and Icefields Parkway.

If you book early enough to get one, a room or cabin at the Moraine Lake Lodge is spectacular. All the busloads of tourists go back to Banff or Lake Louise and you have the whole place to yourself in the evening. Canoe rental is included in the lodging and worth it for views you can't see from the shore (Valley of the Ten Peaks!).

Favorite hike: Parker's Ridge (although there are tons of other amazing hikes)
    Best tourists thing: If you make it to Jasper go to Maligne Lake and take the cruise to Spirit Island.
    Best dinner: Post Hotel in Lake Louise. If you are into wines ask to see the wine room.
    Athabasca Glacier: Skip the bus sized snow cats. Either book in advance and take a real guided glacier walk or just take pictures and spend more time hiking.
    http://www.icewalks.com/

6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

We used to camp up in that area with the kids, I love that area. Very scenic, and no tourist traps. We camped right on the ocean, which of course was on the Bay of Fundy, and if you walked out at low tide, you were up to your armpits in longneck clams.

7. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Go to Dennysville and check out the interior of the old church. Lubec doesn't have much in it, but it's beautiful. You can cross over into Canuckistan there and visit Campobello - where FDR contracted polio. Oh, and say hi to all my dead relatives up there.

DrA5 likes this.
  8. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

He came down with Polio at Campobello. He was exposed at Bear Mountain a few days earlier. (I've been reading his biography recently)

I still would like to visit Campobello Island, from the descriptions, it sounds interesting.

Jed likes this.
  9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

The whole area is just scenic overkill. Worth the trip.

10. jd96

jd96 Well-Known Member

Alberta is in its worst recession in years. Might be a better time to go, hotels might be more affordable.

I live pretty close ... It isnt THAT pricey. Whistler is worse.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  11. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

If you're thinking Banff maybe consider Kelowna. It's just as easy to get to as Banff. Wine tasting, hiking, cycling, etc. My wife and I absolutely love it there and there. Also, if you wanted you could go to some of the other small towns around it.

12. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Yeah, I kind of figured things would be up and down like that. To be fair, we stayed at all the top-notch places on our honeymoon (Banff Springs, Chateau Lake Louise, Jasper Park Lodge). We were treated like gold and with the exchange rate at the time, paying fairly reasonable prices for the experience.

We were trying to replicate that experience, not going on the cheap (and including the famous train trip that we were out of season for on our actual honeymoon). We were looking at $400+ CDN a night for rooms, and the exchange rate was basically one-to-one.

All that said, I'm not dissing the experience at all. I give it a definite thumbs up. We wanted to go back for a reason, and were almost ready to spring for the big bucks. It is a wonderful place. The prices just opened up other opportunities that were the same or less cost.

Congrats on living in that area!

13. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

Drive from Portland to Ogunquit. Hit up these establishments: Maine Street, Front Porch and Yellow Monkey to name a few. Be sure to wear tight pants and say your wife is your sister. You'll have a blast.

14. pickled egg

He's planning a fall run. Unless the Massholes have all taken up year-round residence there since I moved away, Ogunquit pretty much boarded itself up on Labor Day.

15. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

Remember if you drop your wallet in Ogunquit kick it to Kennebunkport before you bend over and pick it up...

pickled egg likes this.
  16. pickled egg

:crackup:

It is kinda the P-Town of the Pine Tree State, huh? :D

17. jerseygirl

jerseygirl Active Member

Although my name is jerseygirl, I live in Portland, Maine. If you do decide to do Maine, spend at least a day in Portland. There is so much to do and eat and drink. Holy Donut is my favorite donut ever and is not to miss. Novare Res for lots of beers from around the country and world. We have a few breweries (like 75 in total0 and bigger ones like Allagash. Eventide for oysters or a lobster roll (it has been named to many restaurant lists). You can take a ferry to Peaks Island a bike around or for $15, you can take the ferry to all the islands on a little tour for about 2.5 hours. It is not a posh boat but you can bring food and drink on it. Kind of a hidden secret of Portland. At that time of the year, most tourists are coming from cruise ships. Then head up the coast or inland to many of the places people mentioned. Good luck!

DrA5 likes this.
  18. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

Go to Slab in Portland. FFS I could die eating their pizza. Portland Hunt & Alpine Club is my go to for apps and best cocktails in town. If you can get in, go to Central Provisions. If you're not a weirdo, come see me in Portsmouth and I will show you a time.