1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

video cameras, which ones, what mounts, help me out

Discussion in 'General' started by ajcjr, Mar 19, 2017.

1. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

So i have two (2) go pros , generation one and three. When racing cars you throw them on a roll bar mount and you are good to go. I know they are a little outdated so was may be thinking of something new. I have also used Replay HD bullet cameras which were nice on a race car.

So my questions are:
    1. what cameras are you using and why, can you run and control (2) at a time
    2. where do you mount them so you have the best video as a learning tool (not to look cool on FB)
    3. how do you mount them to your bike, track days orgs wont let you run them on the helmet or suction cup them to your bike (i am running an sv650).

Thank you

AC

badmoon692008 likes this.
  2. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

I'm pretty happy with how my videos come out, and others have told me the same. Gopro hero (the newish, entry level one). 3m mount on the windscreen. Drill two tiny holes in the windscreen to safety wire it to.

I don't think this version has Bluetooth though, so using a remote to control two would be out, I think. You'd have to physically click the button on both.

The sound (notably lack of overpowering wind noise) is pretty good.

Here's a sample. Just don't copy the example of my riding here...:eek:

ajcjr likes this.
  3. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

Thank you for the reply!

4. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

hard to beat GoPro for variety of mounts and accessories. If you want to add in things like heart rate, speed, location, etc then look at the newer Garmin Virb cameras. Toss up between the two for video quality. Most people shoot 1080p 30fps or maybe 60fps if you have good hardware to do your editing (big files).

lots of places on the bike to try to mount them. with the sticky mounts you can put them on the tail section, fairing on the nose, side panels, subframe, etc. Just make a nice tether so that it stays with the bike for each location, similar to the clip most use on their oil filler cap.

ajcjr likes this.
  5. DaddyPhatSaks

DaddyPhatSaks Well-Known Member

6. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

thank you

7. vco

vco Active Member

I've got a GoPro 4 Black and Replay XD 1080 mini. I prefer the Replay. Battery lasts longer (but not replaceable), the video quality is as good, and mounting options are, in some cases, better. And as a bonus, at the time I purchased, it was about half the price. When it's time for a new one, I'll get another Replay over the GoPro.

ajcjr likes this.
  8. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

i used a replay on my race car as well. Found it to work great and the bullet type was easier to mount on the roll bar. Is replay still producing cameras?

9. fallrisk

fallrisk Well-Known Member

I like it mounted on my tank so I can see what my hands and bars are doing.