1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suzuki RF600R question

Discussion in 'General' started by sumguitardude, Feb 21, 2017.

1. sumguitardude

sumguitardude Member

Hey guys, a friend of mine is selling a 1996 Suzuki RF600R and I am thinking about buying it.
    Overall, looks super clean and has a few aftermarket goodies like a Corbin Seat and Yoshi exhaust.
    He says the only issue is that the bike does not return to idle right away.
    He says you will rev it and the rpm's will basically stay to where you reved it to, but will slowly return back to idle at around 1300.
    Any ideas on what could be causing this? Could it be something really simple like the throttle cable sticking? Or idle adjustment knob? Or does this sound like an issue with the carbs?

Any help/input is appreciated.
    He is asking for $700 but I think I could get him down to $500.
    Thanks

2. triffecpa

triffecpa Well-Known Member

likely a tight throttle cable or a vacuum leak.

Killswitch likes this.
  3. caferace

caferace No.

tree-fiddy.

4. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

With the age of that bike, it would be expected that some of those rubber hoses, etc.. had dry rotted and just need replaced. And I second the throttle cable idea as well.

5. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

This thread brings a tear to my eye. First bike I owned (well at least more than 3 weeks)
    Bought it new in 1996 and kept it 10 years until I bought a new 2006 VFR.
    Is it red? Might be my old one. Not like they sold many of them

6. sumguitardude

sumguitardude Member

Yep it is red! I like the added cool factor of having an old bike. It will be used for commuting about 35 miles one way to and from work with pretty much all of it being highway.
    Hopefully it is an easy fix like a stuck throttle cable. I am going to go and check it out and bring some throttle lube and see if I can get the issue fixed.

7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Katana function with Ferrari style.... I remember riding the 1100, seemed like a beast back then. No brainer for that money.

8. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Sounds like an easy fix whatever it is...buy it and tune 'er up.