Opinions on Dunlop USA N-Tec slicks

Discussion in 'General' started by matt mckibben, Feb 2, 2017.

1. matt mckibben

matt mckibben Member

never had a pair of slicks before I wanted to get a set of battlax but can't find them. Dose anyone have any input on the Dunlop slick or a better slick that has a good wear life? Thanks!

2. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I like 'em a lot. Been running the KR448 front (medium) and the KR449 rear (medium+) compound for the last couple years. Good grip, especially from the rear, and above average durability. Tried the KR451 a couple times.

Pay attention to rear pressures, though. Suggested starting point is usually 23 psi hot. Warmers won't get them nearly hot enough to get up to operating temp (probably the case for most warmers/tires), so be sure to check psi again immediately after coming in to the pits, and don't pussy-foot around on your in-lap.

3. matt mckibben

matt mckibben Member

Okay thanks I'm not very familiar with Dunlop what is the difference between the kR449 , KR448 and KR451?

4. NemesisR6

5. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

just raced on a 2662 KR451 rear (Soft 200/55) this past weekend on my R6. holy shit thats a nice tire. durability and grip were better than the Soft DOT.

i havent met anyone that races on Dunlop's recommended pressures. higher in the front and lower in the rear.

6. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

What would the advantages be for a 190 med+ versus a 200 soft, other than wear factor? Id rather run soft for piece of mind, but if performance is effected that much (CBR600rr)

7. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

soft has lots of edge grip...medium+ you really need to pick the bike up some before getting on the gas. Some may argue this but that has been my experience, I personally only race on softs, I'll put a medium on a wheel and use it for practice.

8. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

racing or trackdays?

heres my tire usage for 190 Dunlop DOTs on 600s, CBR & R6
    Soft: min 2 races, max 4 races + half trackday
    Med: min 4 races + 1 TD, max 4 races + 2 TDs
    Med+: min 4 races + 2 TDs, max 4 TDs

the Soft is worth 0.75-1.5 seconds per lap over the Med at all the tracks ive been at. sometimes its just too cold to get it to work and you gotta run the Med.

the 200 slick is def more durable than the 190 DOT. ive got 4 races on a Soft right now and will easily get another trackday out of it.

IMO, if i was only doing trackdays, id use only Med or Med+ depending on how many days i was doing and how much i wanted to spend.

9. matt mckibben

matt mckibben Member

10. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

I run the 120 KR448 front tire, and the 165 KR449 rear tire on my SV
    I think that the KR 451 is the (Bi-directional) 200 rear tire.

11. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

Pirelli is the only legtiamate tire...

12. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

What is legtiamate?

13. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I ran pirellis at daytona in 2010 on a vesrah bike snd did not like.
    Ive got some new pirellli 200/60 sc1 slicks now.
    Hope i like them next weekend

14. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I think it means square. ;)

15. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

Ha!! One of life's mysteries!!!

And I can't spell for siht lol

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

It's your aunt's leg my friend.

Get it? Leg-tia-mate

17. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

That's what I thought when I read it ;)

18. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

If you are doing track days, I would recommend the med + slick. At a track day pace, you will get a lot of mileage out of the Med+, plus they are usually on sale from Race Tire Service online. Yes, there is less edge grip, but you have to be doing a pretty good expert race pace to feel the difference.

19. NemesisR6

Yup. Very good balance of performance and durability. I run that rear tire about 90% of the time currently.

Boman Forklift and Gino230 like this.