1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

2. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I think he started to write something but then he ditched it.

scottn, pscook and Stumpy like this.
  3. He posted it in the FB group.

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

it's top secret

5. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

2,000 hours just on those two bikes? :bow:

6. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

that doesn't include the hours on my 2014 and 2016 ktm 350's ;) (470hrs and 103 hours respectively)

masshole likes this.
  7. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

There's a FB group?

8. WERA dirty bikes squadron

9. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

I need to ride more....

throwdown likes this.
  10. throwdown

throwdown Well-Known Member

What's an FB group?

11. This stupid shit where we make fun of each other (ok just dustin) and post about our dirty bike stuff. Mainly a bunch of noobs being noobs but melk and jeff are there making us look stupid.

Wheel Bearing and Phl218 like this.
  12. rcmike917

rcmike917 Well-Known Member

Finally got some time on the bike, about 30 miles or so of technical single track then back to reality.

[​IMG]

Loop is about 9-10 miles right now due to winter and very "trials" like, takes the A and AA guys 35 minutes or so. 1.5 miles of the loop is fast turn track, imagine Summit Point layout through open oaks. Meant to take more pics but.. was busy riding.:)

[​IMG]
    Vertical drops..vertical ups an everything in between...

Sumpter NEPG rd 1 this weekend, so out of shape will just be trying to finish, doesn't matter at all though.. riding sets me free.

Mike

13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I'm thinking you have ridden more in 1 or 2 years than I have in my life.

Great job. And you are fast as f..k even though you are an old guy. LOLOL

masshole and MELK-MAN like this.
  14. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Here ya go. I forgot to post it here.

Welllllllll. So so. My plan was only to do a couple of laps. So anyways, after registration we got the bikes warmed up and ready to go.

I con'd two of my friends to do it with me. Both also well established road racers. We all started in 40+ beginner. Figured this gave us the opportunity to get out of everyone's way. Flag drops, all three of us can't get it started lol. I get mine started and promptly dump the clutch and kill lol. So after the start of everyone leaving us, that was ok bc there was a huge pile up of stuck bikes. No wrecks just a log jam.

Now, after I get about a 20th of a lap in trying to keep up, I realize that this isn't smart with my current broken chest position. So I back off. Not that I have the talent anyways, but I wasn't going to push it. My one friend is hella fast on anything he rides and used to ride AMA road racing. So he took off. My other friend has been to some schools and is about as fast as me on the track. But admittedly, I didn't ride with any amount of confidence or conviction bc I don't have the skills yet to keep from crashing. I planning on doing 2-3 laps but after a couple of crashes I said two is good.

My time sucked but I did what I wanted to. Which was see what it was about. My fast buddy's time was a 22 flat, my other buddy a 27 and me a 32.

I'd say that I could probably take off 3-4 mins of me just stopping and waiting so people could pass. Bc I didn't want to be THAT guy when the AA guys come by.

A couple of observations.
    I have a new found respect for people who can't fly through trees with conviction and control especially at the speed in which they do it. Just absolutely insane.

Roots suck... a lot. Huge ruts, they suck too. Especially when ur front tire is out and your back tire slips in. Roots going up hill.. REALLY sucks lol

Traction, yeah what the fuck is that. Bc I don't have it. Front or rear.

And I too went through the stages. Yaaayyyyyy...

oh shit, I'm in over my head.

Oh this is fun.

Yep, I'm gonna die crashing into this tree.

Fuck me the leader is coming around again!!? Christ did he cut the course?!?!

Ahhh fuck.. stalled

I need a rekluse

Exactly HOW bad DO these tires suck?!?? Wtf!!!

No way I'm making it up that hill

Whoaaa hooooo I did it.

Shit that fast guy just jumped that shit!!?!??

I'm so miserable, I can't feel my hands or feet..

Yeah sitting down is the way to do it!

NOPE it ain't!!

God I suck even in just plain ole grass.

MAN i need an eclectic start.

Was that my sternum clicking as I picked up ten bike!?! YEP it was [​IMG]:-/

Ok I'm tired but this Is pretty fun.

MAN that little girl Is fast!!

Ok I've had enough lol

All in all. I had a good time and having never ridden a bike through the trails, I learned a lot and have way more to learn. The next race is in march. And I'll be there

The ONLY thing I learned to do well, was get the hell out the way and not crash doing it.

Stalled twice which is a miracle, and crashed twice. Got the bike so stuck in mud it could stand up. Had to walk it out.

Can't wait Till next race.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  15. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Tire question. I have some crap Sedona 100/90 tires on the bike right now. Now although I'm new to this shit, I found that I had like NO side edge grip. I ask because when looking at my friends tires theirs both have more knobbies on the side. Mine seem tall as shit. I'd have video for you guys but my stupid ass let the camera point too far down and all you see is the front of my helmet and my fender. But what tires should I run. I see the Starcross are an option. But what are the other options as well. This will be a 80% trail 20% MX track bike.

16. MELK-MAN

starcross 5 medium/medium and call it a day. the tires are awesome. (my opinion) but in all honesty, they make up over 1/2 of the harescramble field here in FL..
    soft sidewalls, light weight are just what ya need to instill confidence. i highly suggest nutech tubliss.. this will allow you to run WAY lower psi, with no risk of pinch flats. the difference in the roots from running 13+-psi is incredible..
    I would do the tubliss and new tires before you get softer suspension valving . ideal for offroad but if you are gonna mx as well, will need to talk to your guy about a compromise..

17. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

So which one first. This is an extra curricular activity as of now and still need to save money for Road Racing so don't want to put $400 in tires at the moment. I will get both for sure though. I like this and I think it is a good way to learn more control and body English on the bike.

Also Greg how much would you say you sit as opposed to stand in HS's?

18. All of this. I listened and it was good advice. Do it.

As far as suspension is concerned I still have the MX suspension setup on the bike and maybe a little harsher than I would like but confidence inspiring to say the least. I haven't touched it yet. I may got softer for the next hare scramble.

cajun636 and MELK-MAN like this.
  19. MELK-MAN

i stand more now that i'm goin faster.. but trust me, we ALL still sit when conditions permit. it's tough to put a % on it.. don't feel bad at ALL for ever sitting.

I would get tubliss first ($180 or so a set). wear out the shit tires, then go Starcross 5's , we can talk about which later,

...but medium rear is my go to tire.. front go soft or medium. (soft if there's fair amount of sand). from your vid (the bad one) i would go medium front for sure, as that's a lot of hard pack, that's the front i ran this past weekend as there was some firm open fields and much of the woods had hard pack trail.. and it still works good in the sand. I run Soft front all the other times though (cause we have a lot of soft ground and sandy soil here in FL).

just like in roadracing, the suspension becomes more a factor as you get faster.. no need to worry much for now, can back off the clickers (keep the shock rebound in middle or so, but back high speed comp on the shock ALL The way out..)

20. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Cool thanks. The tires I have now according to my friends ARE worn out lol.

This is my buddy's video. He edited it a good but but gives you an idea of the course

masshole likes this.