1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cash Only

Discussion in 'General' started by GixxerBlade, Jan 18, 2017.

1. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

I've owned over 60 cars, 20 boats, and 50 motorcycles... dozens is likely an understatement.

Shitty people troll CL and offer the cashiers check purchases on EVERYTHING of value. I've even had someone try and scam me on a Rolex with a real cashiers check (bank was legit, account # was legit), but it had been modified to represent a larger amount.

You can't trust anyone these days.

dsmitty37 and ekraft84 like this.
  2. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Or go to office depot and buy a money checking pen, that's what I did

dsmitty37 likes this.
  3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

usually they are anxious to meet on saturday afternoons or sundays with the fake checks.

Canadian Bacon likes this.
  4. neckbrace

neckbrace Well-Known Member

I took a personal check for a dirt bike that I sold a few years ago. I held on to the bike and the title until the check cleared. Took almost two weeks to clear.

I've also taken and received wire transfers.

Some people like paypal but then theres always the possibility that the buyer could dispute the charges. I don't mess with paypal personally.

5. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I'm not even religious but I love this phrase: In God we trust, all others pay cash.

Sabre699 likes this.
  6. I must just have been lucky, I've never asked for cash. I have had no problems with Cashiers Checks.

dsmitty37 and MELK-MAN like this.
  7. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

2 party check from an out of state credit union if you would please.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:clap:

9. mb17

mb17 Broughton859

I usually use cash and haven't had any issues. The last bike I sold the guy wanted to use PayPal for this and that reason. It took me a few days to get it out but overall it was pretty easy. Transferred it straight to the bank from PayPal. So all it took was a couple clicks and I didn't need to even make a trip to the bank. I have heard where you can cancel the payment in PayPal and potentially screw someone over. I wouldn't be imposed to using something like Venmo though.

10. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I don't do cash and won't walk around with it in my pocket but I will gladly meet someone at the bank while they cash my check

sdiver likes this.
  11. I've paid for bikes with personal checks with no problems. But that was at dealerships.

12. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Cash only.

Plenty of false cashiers checks out there. The quality of printers makes bogus cashiers checks a real possibility.

If its a lot of cash, have them meet you at your bank. If they won't do that, find another person to deal with.

Guy showed up in the law office one day with a BIG brown paper bag full of cash to payoff a debt to a client. We walked out of the office, across the street to the bank and they (bank) handled the money. Too many possible bad outcomes in such a scenario to take the risk.

Cheers,

Dave

13. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

That's the cashiers check scam to a T.

Nights or weekends they want to meet, so you can't verify funds
    Check is from a legit account, and the bank is legit, but the funds were never there

Fucking scammers are the worst.

I have done wires to the tune of 6 figures and the only thing there is making sure they clear the Feds before you relinquish the goods.

V5 Racer likes this.
  14. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I thought cash only was a "duh" thing. The only way I'm taking a check is if I go to the bank with the guy and stand there while the banker prints it.

Wheel Bearing and GixxerBlade like this.
  15. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

16. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Thanks....I just woke up a half hour ago and have Jungle Love stuck in my head...

cha0s#242 likes this.
  17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Man, I've bought plenty of cars and motorcycles in my years and haven't even had one person try fake cash...let alone dozens? Might it be payback for your website shenanigans?

18. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

You guys with counterfeit pens, toss them. They're outdated and easily fooled. If you want to be completely sure, go to the bank or get a counterfeit machine. Most retailers don't even use pens anymore.

rpj likes this.
  19. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Let me know first when you sell the next one

pscook likes this.
  20. You can but my R6.

Cash only. :D

Shenanigans and BigBird like this.