1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 SV650

Discussion in 'General' started by Fastway Racing, Dec 25, 2016.

1. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

Go and buy what you want.....simply ride within your own limits (I say that but always found a way to push further than planned, lol)

But on a serious note, I can assure you that the SV platform has PLENTY of speed for your racing desires for the first several years....I hardly doubt you will be getting board and wanting more speed for quite some time. I would recommend showing up for Vintage Days at Mid Ohio in July where you will find 30-40 Sv's on the grid at the same time and among those are some of the fastest SV guys in the country there on the non-pro level....my hunch is you'll be pleased.

Most importantly....have fun, take a school or two, get around the right guys that are willing to help you learn the ropes the right way, and let the sport come to you and not force yourself into it!

You'll have the time of your life...I still miss it as much today as the day I called it quits!

Jeff McKinney likes this.
  2. John Hancock

John Hancock Well-Known Member

And I thought I am starting late at 39

3. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I was 42 when I started, raced for 10 years straight before taking some time off. I didn't race or do track days for a couple years, did one race last year, I was 55, came home with a couple third places finishes, and yes there were more than three in the race. ") Don't let age stop you, there's lots of old fast guys.

Phl218, John Hancock and hotnail like this.
  4. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

Wow its great to see so many starting at a late age, late i mean by racing standards. I will have to do some research

Boman Forklift likes this.
  5. caferace

caferace No.

You'll do fine. You have the right attitude, and that is 70% of the way up the hill. Yes, your prior racing experience will definitely help. The rest can be learned.

-jim

p.s... First roadraced two wheels at 26 y.o. Didn't do it again until I got serious at age 39 and could afford it. :)

rk97 and ajcjr like this.
  6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

+1
    You I agree on your attitude and that your experience will help. I'm sure you will have fun.

Don't be afraid to come ask for help. As you are progressing on laptimes, if you can talk yourself into a race weekend, your times will drop much more quickly than continuing with trackdays. I've seen that happen many times.

7. caferace

caferace No.

+1.5 ;)

AND, don't hesitate if someone offers to mentor you through your first track or race days. Invaluable advice, but pick and choose carefully. For the most part, we're a pretty large but geographically diverse family.

-jim

ajcjr likes this.
  8. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

For the record, if you know how to ride a motorcycle at all, I don't see any problem making your first sportbike ride on an SV at a track. That's what mine was. Rode dirt on and off most of my life but was never very good at it. Logged a couple hundred miles on the street with a supermoto then took it to a track day. Then bought a race prepped SV and did my second track day in it. I can't speak for other orgs but the STT coaches are really good the first few sessions are at controlled low speed that progressively build allowing you get comfortable and gain confidence. Worked fine for me. YRMV.

9. MikeDeRoche

MikeDeRoche SailCaptain

I found this forum while doing a search for "2017 SV650 Track Bike".
    I believe I am the guy that was spotted at Homestead. I was there doing a track day.
    This is the first race bike I have ever owned, first I have ever worked on and my first time racing. Learned at lot working on this project, it will certainly be easier for others to build a trackable 2017 as more parts become available. Here is run down of what I have done:
    1. This was the test bike for Traxxion Dynamics, I got an AK-20 insert and a Penske Shock installed by them
    2 M4 Full Race system
    3 Woodcraft clip ons and lever guards, used Gen 1 triple clamp for use with clip ons
    4 SV Racing Parts Rear Sets (Gen 2 fitted with some washers behind the lower bolt to get them to sit flush)
    5 Sharkskins Gen 1 bodywork (heavily modified to fit, not hard to duplicate if anybody wants to know) and a self made fairing stay
    6 Galfer front brake lines
    7. Anti Gravity battery

I saw the new Hotbodies SV650, my wife found it on Instagram. It looks absolutely stunning. The only issue I can see is that the M4 full exhaust might not fit. The tail piece looks I great and I have one on order. It looks like they solved the issues regarding fitting the tail.

As far as on track performance, I am the wrong person to render an opinion. I have a lot learn. But, so far having a good time.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated

10. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Post pictures..

11. MikeDeRoche

MikeDeRoche SailCaptain

Flat black shaker can

Attached Files:

noles19 and roy826ex like this.
  12. caferace

caferace No.

Better pictures. :D

-jim

13. ceebus

ceebus Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info and welcome.

Did you change the triple out of necessity or just for looks?

14. MikeDeRoche

MikeDeRoche SailCaptain

Just for looks. Took a chance buying used one online but it was a perfect fit. Even the key switch fit and the steering lock works. Although I will remove the switch when Woodcraft comes out with a bypass harness.

ceebus likes this.
  15. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Do they not have one already? I would think the one that fits my 03 SV would be the same as one for a 2017, but I could obviously be wrong.

16. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

A couple of other things, about running an SV.
    When you buy a set of tires, they will last several track days, or race days. I get three or four WEEKENDS out of a set of slicks, IF I don't screw something up !
    Pump gas.
    Cheap parts available on the Inter-beebs
    One of the better bikes to learn about corner speed on. It will make you faster on anything/everything you ride.
    Many guys have run them, and WILL help with set up, and questions from the new guys.
    http://www.roadracingworld.com/news...ins-race-to-be-held-at-willow-spring-in-2017/

17. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I started somewhat late, and with no other racing experience. My friend Brian Smith was racing Porsches a year ago, now he's got a Lightweight class Ducati, done a couple of YCRS schools, and he's faster than I am at some tracks. He's about 50.

Regarding the bike selection, if you could go to YCRS and ride a few bikes, that would help a lot. The problem is, the best bike for track days may not be the best bike to race. For track days, it's nice to have a little more power to squirt by some novice on a 1000. Plus, if you're racing prototype cars, you are going to be used to high speeds and hard braking. You are already used to smooooooth throttle control, so starting out on a slightly more powerful bike might not be so bad for you.

If you don't mind me asking..... with the prototype racing, were you paying for it yourself? The only reason I ask, pretty much any way you go with bike racing, it will be a drop in the bucket compared to what you were spending on the cars. So the cost factor is a lot less important when deciding which bike to buy.

If you have ANY plans to race, I would go with the Lightweight bike. SV is a great platform, cheap to run, parts everywhere, etc. Lightweight bikes like the SV force you to learn to get the most out of the tires, corner speed, braking, line selection, etc. All of these things are crucial before you add power to the equation. You will probably be a better rider (and thus a faster racer, should you choose to go that route) if you start with the slower bikes.

It's always awesome to see new people coming into our sport. Like Mr. Ulrich says, back in the day, people were Buying bikes left and right, and showing up to race in record numbers. Of course, there were very few track days, so there were fewer options if you wanted to go fast. Nowadays some grids can be pretty thin. I think you will find that the Motorcycle racing community is very welcoming, much warmer and with easier camaraderie than the car racing world. Ask for help if you need it. You will get more from this sport than you put in, I promise.

18. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

If you have the ability to attend a YCRS 2 day school @ NJMP which is not far from you...I would jump on that. Top notch instruction on their bikes. No need to bring your own. Classes are mix of all skill groups from racers to people who have never even ridden a motorcycle. You obviously have some motorcycle background so you know how to shift and accelerate so it shouldn't take you long to get the hang of it. I am looking forward to signing up for a school this year.

ajcjr likes this.
  19. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

I am definitely looking into a school, the issue with YCRS is the days they are here in May, there is a chance i could be traveling for work. How does it compare to the CSS school?

Honestly i am not sure i will race, id love to, id like to make sure i am comfortable on a bike and track before i make that decision. I paid for all my racing expenses on my own, working with a shop who performed a lot of the work for me, it was anywhere from $25k to $35k a season for 8 races including prep, gas, tires, entry fees etc... I had the car professionally prepped so i could just concentrate on my driving. Which is something i have been thinking about, how hard is it to wrench on super bikes compared to a dirt bike? Anything i buy will be looked over by a professional shop to make sure everything is sound. I dont mind paying a little extra to make sure the equipment i am on has been properly prepped for the track.

If i did take to this sport, does it look weird if a newbie buys an air suit? Not that i care but i am not going to skimp on safety equipment, it may be over doing it but i feel there is a difference between a $200 helmet and a $600 helmet as probably the same of suits and boots. Dont get me wrong, i am not looking to waste money but like to be as safe as possible.

Happy New Year everyone!

20. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

BUY THE AIR SUIT!!!! In my opinion that doesn't look weird at all. This sport is dangerous and anything you do to help mitigate that danger is good.

Consider Daytona Boots if you have the budget. That is what I want to buy my son if he starts racing again. His foot was literally crushed in a bad accident. These boots are not sylish but considered the best. Pro racers sponsored by other companies have been known to buy Daytona boots and then have an outer made to look like their sponsored boot company.

You will spend much less racing an SV.

I probably spent 25K in our season of AMA racing, but I have to admit, I hated figuring that out.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    Gorilla George and ajcjr like this.