1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carrier to stay in US saving 1000 jobs...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Robby-Bobby, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Rrider

Rrider Well-Known Member

It was a long ordeal and is more complicated than it sounds, but in the end, Trump did close the deal.
    Carrier received $10m the past few years from fed govt grants, and in Feb they said they that money would allow them to expand in Indy
    Then they said they were pulling out 1400 jobs, then 1000 and that 400 "good" jobs would stay.
    Pence went ape shit on them and got them to pay back some of state grants they received.
    Trump wins election, has discussions with Carrier and they decide to keep "nearly 1000" jobs at Indy (not sure if this includes the 400 "good" jobs or not).
    If your interested, detailed and very long timeline is here: http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/timeline-1000-carrier-jobs-saved-from-moving-to-mexico

I've wisely chosen to put this relevant youtube link of what Barry said at a June 1 town hall meeting at a plant run by Carrier regarding Trump keeping jobs in the US:

2. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

My dad had the most obnoxious saying that is fitting after watching the video....can't never did a damn thing.

3. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Jobs that are coming in now? Which ones are those again? Walmart greeter? McDonalds fries technician?

Its not like the damn AC units are never going to be built again (or furnaces), they are just being offshored.

Now, you're a damn saddle maker in the 1920's and sure, you can say something about THOSE jobs...

418 and speeddaddy like this.
  4. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Barry couldn't run a Five & Dime store for a profit, so it's no surprise, to me, that he's completely clueless on how to entice a business to stay stateside. Man, I hope/pray that he keeps pulling shit like this off, there would be no better way than to stuff his success down that clueless SOB's throat every couple of months.

5. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

Carrier did most of its manufacturing in Syracuse, NY and shipped the manufacture side out to other US States, Mexico, and Asia back in 2003. Most of their R&D is still done in Syracuse

6. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

The fruit Josh Earnest said that while this is a good thing Trump has a long way to go to match the Obama job creation record.

Good grief.

7. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

What the fuck are we paying obama for? The only thing he can do is talk about his legacy..

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

At least he hasn't got too much longer to build it.

9. ductune

ductune Well-Known Member

I don't think giving taxpayers dollars to companies in exchange for keeping some jobs here is the answer. It's been the practice for some time and hasn't worked.

Years ago China started requiring American manufactures to partner with Chinese companies to manufacture products in China if sold in China. Maybe it's time to have the same requirement here. Sell here, manufacture it here. Of course that would open up the can of environmental worms that no politician wants to address.

Clean air and water VS manufacturing jobs. Same old argument, nothing has changed.

zippytech likes this.
  10. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

+1
    I wish politicians would consider the second order effects of everything they do. Artificially subsidizing a company to get them to stay is only a short term bandaid. Take Boeing for example. Effective tax rate of zero, yet they are continually negotiating better and better deals for themselves under the guise of "keeping jobs in the state".
    All we get is an artificially inflated housing bubble, traffic, and we're overindexed on aerospace jobs. If and when Boeing does leave, all that will burst.

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Next Obama will brag about how "he didnt need blind trusts & aggressive seperation plans to take office! :D

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Trade agreements have been fairly one sided with our markets being relatively open for import while some of our trading "partners" are pretty restrictive on what they will permit from here. A fair agreement would be if the restrictions were the same both directions.

Another random thought...if you have government contracts and you export the jobs, you lose the contract.

scottn and turtlecreek like this.
  13. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I understand politically why this is important but it is not a method to improve anymore than Obama's planned green economy was. What is needed is general changes that make it easier and more profitable to operate in the US. Time will tell if he is a micro manager type or something great for our economy.

EDIT: oh and the change to make it better should do so for both large AND small companies

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  14. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

It's kind of an ongoing process from what I've understood. When the Feds keep piling on more and more regulations that hamper industry the profits go down so they move offshore in order to make a decent profit. Then local government directly involved with those industries offer incentives to the companies to stay in place. In other words, for the cheaper prices we pay for the end product, we locals pay the company an extra profit that equals what the product would cost if it had stayed here in the first place. The Feds of course, make some extra loot enforcing the regulations. As usual, the taxpayers end up getting the shaft while paying for it all.

15. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Hopefully, Trump will follow through on his promise to eliminate regulations that are detrimental to US based industry. Even though he offered incentives to Carrier maybe those incentives will cease to be needed with the removal of the costly regulations.

16. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I heard the incentives amount to about $800 per employee.

Seems to me we waste a helluva lot more tax payer money than that.

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Carrier is shovel ready

18. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I'm in the no subsidies boat. Let them leave, then tariff the hell out of them on import.

motoracer1100 and cpettit like this.
  19. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

One, Boeing isn't leaving. Boeing can't leave. I wish people would stop saying this. Last year alone they received nearly 17 billion in Federal contracts. Over the past 5 years, it's close to 110 million. Yes they will operate and invest in many other countries because that's what large multi-national companies do. But specific to the United States, Boeing isn't giving up that cash. And based on what they are manufacturing and providing the the Federal Government, they can't import it. The trade laws are specifically set against it.

If anything, it's going to be easier (potentially) over the next 4 years. Obama made some very difficult obstacles for government contractors to overcome. Trump will most certainly remove those obstacles because he is business friendly.

Orvis likes this.
  20. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

C'mon ... don't let a silly thing like ITAR get in the way of a theoretical debate. :D