1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many racers with young kids here?

Discussion in 'General' started by Clay, Feb 17, 2004.

1. wera176

wera176 Well-Known Member

I have two kids, boy who is 4 years old and a daughter who is about 1 month. The boy has been going to the track since he was about 6 months and loves it, obviously the girls hasn't seen much other than snow :( . Don't know how it will work out with two, the wife usually gets bored/tired at the races. I don't even take her to track days, but the boy may start going with the guys this year. Nelson used to work good for us because Grandpa would bring his 34' motor home over to camp in, and Beaver might as well, but we usually concentrate on Putnam (got no idea what races I'll get to this year...). Putnam's nice because we pit on the back away from most of the generators/pit bikes and the kiddo will have that big field to tool around on his PW... It seems the key is how much your wife likes the whole thing because she is usually the one dealing with the kids while you are wrenching, racing, riders meeting, bs'ing, etc, etc

2. kneespeed

kneespeed Well-Known Member

kids

Two kids (6yr old:cool: and 3yr old:D). They will make it to some of the events this year.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Now how the hell are you gonna teach the kids right form wrong without us wrong people around as an example?

4. James223

James223 Well-Known Member

That is a very good point. When we do attend the races as a family Connie (wife) definatley gets the short end of the stick. Between trying to put up with the kids, keep them occupied, fed, warm, cool, etc, etc and me being busy most of the day the wives really have the hard part (or husbands for the women racers :D)

I'll tell you what worked out good for us at TGPR was this group of christians (not to get on a church thing at all believe me) they go to almost all of the SE events and they ride bikes too and spend like and hour or two in the afternoon doing projects with the kids and it really teaches them things, the are VERY VERY VERY nice can't say enough about them and it got both of us a break for a while. Look for them at the SE events it is great for the kids

Last edited: Feb 17, 2004
  5. blueduc37

blueduc37 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help dude, but I think I can handle it.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No problem, just let me know if you need help :D

7. Richard Hood

Richard Hood Well-Known Member

2 boys age 5 and 1, single "modest" income -- wife liked racing until i wrecked (she was 6 months pregnant, at the time).

She tolerates the racing but hates it

1 JR-50
    1 50cc Four Wheeler - on loan from Mr. Cobb
    1 KX-80 mini motard

8. Shingle Monkey

Shingle Monkey Schuck, Schuck

hum...first year racing but last 2 years at trackdays wife hates the MC...now I have a kid that is -2 weeks old....should be born first of march. I set down a self imposed restriction on the bike..nothing until 30days after the baby is born..after that...Im going to do atleast 2 weekend a month racing or trackdays.

9. TLsupertwin

TLsupertwin Well-Known Member

Well, let me appoligize up front teachin' y'all's chillins about normal adult language patterns. I already studder constantly around young kids and my mother tryin' to alter my normal adjectives, f*ck and g*dd*mnit.

But seriously, it's better for 'em to learn young and be ok with it than go off the deep end when they're 13 and they start soundin' like a 2-live-crew album.:Poke: It's like drugs or sex. If you try to sheild them from it, they're just gona hit that much harder when the time comes.

10. racer919

racer919 Still slow...

I race AND play hockey so I'm about double the expenditure:D

11. racer919

racer919 Still slow...

Does she have an equally delusional sister?:beer:

12. john buchanan

john buchanan Active Member

Daugther 25,she has grown up around racing all her life.I was racing in SCCA when she was born and even after her mom and I split she lived with dad and was the best crew Icould have.She attended most of the races.Now that she is grown and has her on child she still wants to go to the races,we love talking about the good times we have had.She tells me some of the best times she had was being with dad at the races.
    So if they want to go take them,because they love being with you no matter what your doing.

She told me I could'nt take my 4yr old grandson until he was 6 :D to late.

13. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

My son has been going to the track since he was 3 months old. THe WERA family is part of his family. People ask about Cody more than me!:D

As far as a budget...I have rabbit ears on my TV. The slowest, cheapest internet service avail. I drive a ugly 850.00 30mpg 86 honda civic (I do have a nice truck to go to the track in/wifes daily driver), I eat ramen noodles, cheep mac-n-cheese, .99cent menu bean burritos, and what ever else. I have sold everything I can think of that someone will buy......except for my racebike-now-streetbike tha is available to anyone for 5000.00 (Ireally need to get rid of it)........

and given the chance I would do it all over again. :clap:

14. racer919

racer919 Still slow...

All the same, as guilty as I am of spouting some four letter (and 12 letter) explatives, you do need to take into account your surroundings. You wouldn't spout off at a fancy dinner like that. You need to show some restraint from time to time.

On the other hand, kids aren't going to be scarred for life by hearing some rough language. It's my job as a parent to make sure that I prepare them to deal with what they encounter in the world.

15. john buchanan

john buchanan Active Member

Steve, Cogy is one of the best youngman at the track .

We'll pack more steaks for the track.

16. Mojo

Mojo Big Swinging Member

Well, she plays hockey but we're a single income family.

So I'm paying for hockey, even if I'm not playing it... :rolleyes:

It's all part of the balance though. If she's not happy, ain't no way I'm gonna be happy, if you get my drift. ;)

17. chaplain

chaplain MRO pulpit jockey

National Weekends

On the National weekends just before chapel service I have what I call children's Bible story time.......its lasts about 30 minutes.the kids play....and do a craft..i tell a story.we have snacks then they go back to mom and dad.

Mr Micro-phone announces it for me on Sunday mornings. If your kids wanna come bring'em on................

18. LowSider

LowSider Some Guy Racing

I'll be taking my wife and two of our children, son 8 and daughter 3, to my very first race at the Spring Classic next week at Jennings. I have two more children, daughters 18 and 15, but they won't be coming along this time. My son is so excited about going to the race, he talks about it all the time. I've got a TV / DVD player for the Durango that helps keep them occupied, and I get free hotel rooms (I travel a lot for work) which makes it comfortable and saves a boatload of money. My wife may get bored and take them to the room, go shopping, swimming, whatever.

I plan on getting out seven times this year, if things hold up. I cant' imagine doing it without my family there - I even have my mother talked into going to Barber, she's 61 (my father won't leave town unless there's a fishing boat involved)! I make a pretty decent income and would just blow it on something else if not this.:D

19. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

I guess im lucky as well. I have 2 boys, 16 and 11, they both enjoy going to the track, the 16 year old even enjoys working the corners (right now the only way he can earn money for his car).

I also have a dillusional wife who lets me (well sort of) spend every spare dollar on racing. Whats so funny is that when i first started, i thought i'd be doing this by myself, so i just bought a 6 x 15 enclosed trailer and an EZ up to go to the track with. After the first time she and the kids camped with me at Road Atlanta, in JULY heat with no A/C, and a potty that seemed to her a million miles away, on the way home, she says, we gotta sell this trailer and get an RV!!! Of course, i have no problem with that, we sell it, buy an RV and start of last year with that one. Used it the entire season, she got pissy about having to unload the toyhauler in the rain (seemed it was every race weekend on Thurs.), and decides she wants a BIGGER one! :eek: Now i pull HER 40 foot 5th wheel house on wheels with MY garage built into the back, to the track. :D:D

MISSI?? i love you!!

20. luke738

luke738 Well-Known Member

whell i'm 17, (dad's son). But my family goes like this. Me and my little brother play hockey (travel hockey), my dad races a gixxer750(whenever they ship the '04s) i race a EX500, and little bro races a RS50. So we have 2 hockey players and 3 racers total. We have way to many hobies:) dont know how the parents pay for it.