1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil cooled GSX-R 750

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by mattnes17, Oct 17, 2016.

1. mattnes17

mattnes17 Member

Hey vintage folks.

I just picked up a 1991 gsxr 750. I got it for in running condition with 30K miles for 400 bucks! PO was positive it needed a new "clutch shifter" and by that he meant that the shift lever was so loose and improperly attached it wouldn't shift. What an easy fix!

I bought the bike as a daily to zip to work, replacing my FZR. But of course, my roadracing hungry brain decided to see what classes the bike fits into. AHRMA has the Next Gen Superbike class that fits well, but it seems the V6 Heavyweight rules exclude my bike due to its 91 production year. I'm fairly sure all the 750's from 88 to 91 are damn near the same. Slight frame differences, slight engine changes, fork differences, and maybe weight differences (90/91 being heavier).

Would it be koser to run a 91 even though it's not pre 1990? Or are the 90/91 intentionally excluded because of the upside down forks or something else I don't know about. Calling all slabside, oil-boiler GSXR racers out there! Enlighten me please.

2. mattnes17

mattnes17 Member

Looks like I said a V6 no no and scared everyone off. I looked around a saw a few old threads about people wanting to run later models. They were shunned like the plague... I guess if I wanted to run the 91 I would have to propose a GSX-R 750 rule exception to allow the 91. Screw that.. I'll just find a lighter 88/89 ;)

Looks like i'll have a 91 750 for the street and a 89 7/11 for the track :p

3. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

There are a couple guys running the old oil coolers...I dont know the specifics though, sorry

4. mattnes17

mattnes17 Member

Hopefully they speak up! Or maybe they don't want me to know all their oil cooled secrets ;)

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I can't remember if there is a difference between the 89 and 90 or not - my guess is yes or they'd have been allowed from the beginning.

6. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

The 88 and 89 models had the short stroke motors. The 90 bikes went back toward the 'normal' configuration.

7. mattnes17

mattnes17 Member

"Normal" being 85-87 and 90-92 with a 48.7mm stroke. 44.7mm in the 88-89.

The shorter stroke comes with higher redline and a much more peaky engine. I've heard the longer stroke is prefered over the short.

8. mattnes17

mattnes17 Member

I'm still not really sure why the 90-92 are ixnayed. All FZR's are included, not sure why all oil cooled GSX-R's aren't in there. Maybe just because they were never written into the rulebook?

I also find it curious that the 1989 1100 is singled out. Albeit, a fairly different bike than the 88 1100, but it uses a lot of the same parts as the 88/89 750.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The rules for the class were written well after 92 so there was a reason at the time to keep them out.

10. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

I'd say hit Eric Bozel up with message.
    He knows pretty much all there is on these bikes and rules.
    Now don't quote me but I think it was motor size that was different. And I think they changed that cause parts where getting hard to come by. But the later Katana motor parts can be used.
    But honestly no one would complain.
    We all have fun and the V6 guys are super guys.
    Best of luck.

Steven Isenhower #52

11. Outsider V6 V7

Outsider V6 V7 Well-Known Member

Capture 2.jpg Matt I say wire it and bring it. Really there are only a handful of us racing V6HW and we all started on 750's before the big power push around 2003. I race both organizations and enjoy the competition in each class. Bike is completely legal for V7HW and V8HW so for sure you'd have a minimum of two classes. I believe the original cutoff date was due to the USD forks but all classes can run USD forks now. AHRMA also had a no USD fork rule in the first year they had the next gen class. It was changed last year. 1990 GSXR is considered the best year for the oil cooled GSXR but I'm partial to the ill handling and flexible framed first generations.

VFR#52 likes this.
  12. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

I knew he would pop up.
    So you know have a go. Wire that old dog up and put her on the grid Sir.
    Come on out and have fun.

Steven Isenhower #52

13. mattnes17

mattnes17 Member

I think you are right Steve. The 89 1100 was a little bigger cc and more power, but also more weight.

VFR#52 likes this.
  14. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Well E-Boz is the man on those bikes.
    Super nice guy and a big sexy man too.
    So hit him up if you need advice.

Steven Isenhower #52

15. mattnes17

mattnes17 Member

Thanks for the info Eric! V6HW seems much more appealing to me than V7 or V8. Not that i'm THAT worried about winning :rolleyes: but unless I have that 1100 engine in there, I am going to get walked all over on the oil boiler. Gridding up next to RC51's would be quite humbling..

I'm going to see if I can find an older 750, and if none pop up for cheap, I will just run what I've got. Maybe I will do some hard research and see if the 90-92 are reallythat far ahead of the older 750's. Maybe submit a rule change to get all oiler's in 6HW, unless that's going to get your undies in a bundle.I don't want to come into your guys racing org and muck everything up with my shitty "new" GSXR. haha

16. Outsider V6 V7

Outsider V6 V7 Well-Known Member

the 91 and 92 really aren't much better. They are heavier and the heads went to shim under bucket so no one makes cams for those years. All 86-92 models can be made competitive. a nicely tuned engine will make 106-116 depending on the mods. AHRMA's next Gen class has the cutoff at 92 and the rider pretty much determines the outcome. At barber I ran a 38 on my 7/12 and a 40 on my 750. The Canadian that weighed about 160lbs I believe ran a 39 on his 87 750.

VFR#52 likes this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Email me about the rules for sure if you find out anything. If it really was just the USD forks and since then we've allowed them then I have no problem changing the years at all (don't really have a problem either way, just don't want to miss something and have the class get messed up because of it).

VFR#52 likes this.
  18. mattnes17

mattnes17 Member

Just sent Sean an email about adding a SACS oil cooled GSX-R inclusion rule to V6HW. We will see what he thinks. Hopefully I didnt write anything too crazy, I'm kinda tired!

Heres some sweet oil cooled stuff to drool over:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

used2Bfast and VFR#52 like this.
  19. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

I will take it off your hands

20. mattnes17

mattnes17 Member

Take what off my hands, my new 750? I don't think so. I only paid 400 for it, gotta get my monies worth :beer: