1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safety wire alternative

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I have used my drill press some when safety wiring. I even bought one of those guide things, which I think stinks. However, I've gotten reasonably good at drilling while still on the bike. Maybe not proper etiquette, but I rest the spinning drill bit up against my finger, after center punching a hole. Seems to work great.....and so far I still have all 10 digits and I've safety wired quite a few bikes and haven't pulled a Dustin....yet!!!!!

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Yeah, some come from Kawi, where they use the lock washer and then use Thor's hammer to tighten the sprocket to the output shaft with the goofiest nut ever. F those things.

BigBird, Gorilla George and V5 Racer like this.
  3. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Thread locking compound. RTV is for hacks, IMO.

Slider82 likes this.
  4. You should see the Panigale. Livengood has marked every....single....bolt.

Every bolt also is either safety wired or has silicone or blue loctite.

It vibrates alot, especially at race RPMs. The shift rod backed out in a race earlier in the year so when he took the bikes back to his shop for service between races, he took the bodywork off and secured every single bolt one way or another.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Anything that can vibrate loose and ruin your race - wire it.

Will9465 likes this.
  6. BigBird

BigBird blah

I thought I was the problem. I still may be, but Kawis seem to use Red loctite on errythang

7. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

The spaghetti monster is a sewing machine compared to Buell vibration

8. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Very inconsistent as well. Some get a reasonable amount, some get blasted.

BigBird likes this.
  9. DirtNap

DirtNap used, but not used up.

He is going to name it "Semi-Pro bolt" :crackup:

Gorilla George likes this.
  10. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I've done it on the bikes a bunch but usually just pull them off. And I rest the spinning portion of the drill cupped in my hand because it gets hot. I will prolly drill for 10 seconds or so then oil it. Repeat this process on or off the bike.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  11. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

:crackup:

12. One2

One2 Well-Known Member

Here's a titanium front sprocket nut I had drilled…

[​IMG]

13. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

I dig the paint job on the counter shaft... you can hypnotize the guys you pass in right hand turns ...and the guys in tech won't notice it's a cheater bike if they are hypnotized either :D

One2 likes this.
  14. Best advice right here, I have a decent amount of stuff wired on the dirty bikes even.

15. I blue loctite almost every bolt as well. One of the sticks work great as you can just turn the bolt gently over it so you don't over do it.

16. One2

One2 Well-Known Member

Lol