1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R1 Throttle tube for 2007 GSXR 750

Discussion in 'Tech' started by notasquid, Sep 18, 2016.

1. notasquid

notasquid Well-Known Member

So for doing trackdays, I'm finding the stock setup anemic in instant power delivery.
    What year R1 throttle tube works on the 07 GSXR and gives a better response?

TIA

Newyork likes this.
  2. Chango

Chango Something clever!

I believe the 06+ R6 has the shortest amount of travel to reach full throttle for stock motorbikes.

3. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

Well put! I use the same bike at the track and that is the perfect explanation. The 04-06 R1 throttle can just be slapped on but has a longer throw. The R6 throttle 06- is the shortest as said above but I believe needs to be modified slightly.

I went with a used motion pro cuz the price was right.

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I used an r6 throttle. Can't recall but I think it was the 06.

5. bigkaley

bigkaley Well-Known Member

'04-06 R1 throttle tube can be installed with just adjustment of throttle cables.... '06-up R6 throttle tube requires inside of OEM GSXR throttle housing to be relieved with a Dremel as well as adjustment of throttle cables.

6. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Just FYI, the R1 tube is 1/5 turn and the R6 is 1/6 turn.

7. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Out of complete curiosity, what's the ratio of the GSXR tube?

8. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

IIRC it was 1/4 for the gsxr.

9. chwolfe

chwolfe Well-Known Member

Your problem may be related to mapping. 06-07 GSXR 600 & 750's are sensitive to the throttle rate of opening. This causes them to go rich during a quick opening of the throttle, like an accelerator pump. Static maps don't account for this. Was your bike tuned by someone familiar with this?

10. notasquid

notasquid Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delayed response. Running a Bazzazz FI mated to a Leo Vince pipe that was set up properly. Also did the throttle valve sync.
    It's the throttle position. If I hamfist the throttle open on the straightaway it accelerates as it should. However, resorting to this is not ideal. This will be my next little project
    along with new clip ons, samco hoses, and gp shift.

11. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

I took the OEM tube and some JB weld and fashioned a cam on mine

12. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

I did the R1 mod on my 08 GSX-R 600 using this tutorial that lists the Yamaha part numbers:

http://www.gsxr.com/38-technical-faqs/85278-r1-r6-throttle-mod-tutorial.html

If you use an R1 throttle tube it is a direct plug and play affair where as if you use the R6 throttle tube you need to remove some material from the inside of the throttle housing to allow the R6 tube to fit.

I got an 04 R1 tube from my local dealer for $18 then 4 months later I came across an ad on here for a Motion-Pro Revolver setup. I think I still have the tube I will have to look around.