1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Road Atlanta chatter

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by SmokeSignalRT, Sep 7, 2016.

1. bj

bj Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear it's so serious Doug. Heal up.

2. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

Yup... All that work for a short time... I get it back up and running... Might put throttle on left side and front brake

3. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

I holed a piston on one of the BSA's, so I didn't go out in the second practice - saving the sole remaining BSA for the race. Christy and I watched the second practice from above T10A-B. Gang of bikes all get to T10A together. Dougie goes up the inside of several at T10A, passes a few more before T10B, washes the front end exiting T10B. Bucky goes wide into the gravel trap on the left, Jerry has nowhere to go and runs over Dougie then crashes himself. All others are scattering like marbles poured on the floor. Doug gets up straight away (good sign) as does Jerry. Bucky is sorting his bike over in the gravel. Red flag.

Here is what the piston looks like:
    [​IMG]

Engine just stopped . . . . No compression. Very clean piston and cylinder. . Rings are probably still good. :crackup::crackup: Center of the piston is sagging,otherwise a little JB Weld in the pits might have been an option . . . . At least that's what the 2 stroke guys told me. Gots to get busy . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

4. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

I hate your face

wanderlust likes this.
  5. wanderlust

wanderlust Well-Known Member

I hope your beard falls out.

image.jpeg

Gorilla and V5 Racer like this.
  6. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Dam gents....nice play by play AND piston hole Dave!

Scattered like marbles....that's a great description of what it probably looked like from there.

Heal up Dougie!

7. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Sorry to hear you got hurt, heal up quickly.

8. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Heal up Doug. You're getting too old to keep breaking shit. :)

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hey Joe - what happened with the bike?

10. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

We added a kickstart assembly to the bike this spring. I think the spring to that assembly jumped off the retainer inside the case and prevented the shifter from working. Based on the symptoms, I told Ted to jiggle the kickstart lever. That freed up whatever was stuck in there and it shifted fine. But, we didn't want to take a chance it would happen again and break something. For the GNF, we will most likely remove the kickstart assembly and go back to bump start.

Ted was really enjoying riding it before the problem cropped up. Said SV's weren't pulling him on the backstraight even though the jetting was so rich we could not pull redline in 6th gear.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Or fix the spring :D

Glad it was something simple and good call on not taking the chance until you can get into it.

50Joe likes this.
  12. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

It was a used assembly bought off ebay and all looked good and tested fine in my garage and a few runs up and down the street but racing is a whole lot different as you know. Just seems odd to me because nothing about it is complex. Maybe the end of the spring loop was bent a little when it was removed which allowed it to pop over the edge of the retaining post??? Won't know for sure until the clutch cover is removed.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I thought I had the Zuma assembly in wonky, turned out the nut on the front belt pulley had come off. Glad I looked instead of just tossing in a new battery and ignoring the kicker.