1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Working class men aren't working anymore

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by SPL170db, Aug 26, 2016.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

http://www.conservativewoman.co.uk/laura-perrins-working-class-men-turn-their-backs-on-work/

I find this dynamic to be interesting. More and more men in this country are "checking out" as they say and contributing as little as possible to society. W guess when you're not propping up a wife and kids a think alot of these dudes are finding out they can get by on very little.

I have no interest in the marriage game myself but at the same time I was raised with a fairly decent work ethic so I enjoy having a good job and a fairly comfortable salary but I'll be interested to see how this pans out down the road. I tend to think that it's not very often we see a major bounce back once a trend starts picking up momentum.

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Live to work? Or work to live?

3. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

People are generally goal driven, whether they admit it not. Once the "norms" of society like family are removed as a goal, what's left? I know quite a few locals who do odd jobs to beer money and spend the rest of their time just hanging out. They get to go hunting on weekdays, etc. My Dad would have called them Bums. As long as they don't hurt anyone but themselves I guess I don't care......unfortunately they also have the right to vote......

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I asked my wife last weekend if I could quit working and she can support us both.

She said no.

I tried

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

You asked?

Pussy.

ringdingding likes this.
  6. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

For myself I can say that the wife kids thing would not be bad. However I am sick of being called white and evil because of it. I am sick of everyone else getting extra points for doing jack. I do not want a wife that thinks I should act like a chick nor do I want one that thinks she is a dude.

Further I have enough and the work required to get more is not worth the time. Yep when I will lose half or more of the next dollar vs going riding or dog racing or chores it is just not worth my time.

So yep I have to admit that I kind of don't participate in a lot of society any more. I race the dogs, ride my bikes and mess with things in my lab/shop. And right now life is good.

I think therefore I am in phase II already of the great society. First the average working class guy gets paid to sit on his behind or replaced by a cheap foreign import (illegal or semi-legal). Then the remaining producers get burdened with the cost until they too quit working. Then we all don white robes and hang out being peaceful.... oh wait that is Star Trek.

Hawk518 likes this.
  7. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Interesting.

I'm quite the opposite. When I realized that no one else can/will do it but me, I started putting my head down and coming up with ways to make more. Its not that I'm interested in material things (I mean, I want "toys" like most guys), but I am interested in the freedom that being financially independent represents. So, in a sense, I'm working harder so that I can check out earlier.

All of that said, I have so many problems with this article, I'm not even going to post them here. And I, too, am sick of being thought of as white and evil. I see it more when I travel than when at home, but Michelle told me about an incident while I was out of town where someone driving erratically decided to slow down enough to ride beside her on the interstate, roll the window down, and give her the finger and yell, "White Bitch!" at her the other day... I know - different subject... just popped in my head while I was on the subject of white and evil.

8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Cause and effect people....

Because women wanted to be treated as equal the effect is get to fuckin work ladies. Carry that heavy ass furniture up the stairs on your own.

Because women wanted men to be more "sensitive" the effect is that more men have gotten in touch with their feelings and realized they don't need the "wife and kids" or that they prefer a penis over a bitching woman.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

9. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Having been married more than once, (twice?), (three times??) I am one confused puppy. My present wife of 39 years is everything I have ever wanted but if it ended suddenly I would not remarry again. I, like many others, am somewhat of a solitary person and would be quite satisfied being single again. Being married, especially when growing older, offers some mixed emotions. One big one is worrying about what I would do if my wife were snuffed in a car accident, or if she came down with some debilitating disease and I could not help her fight it,,,,,,it's scary as hell. The responsibilities of being married to someone who is the center of your world is a heavy load sometimes. Fortunately, there is a hell of a lot more positive thoughts than negative ones.

10. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

The fleecing of men by wives is slowly coming to an end.

motoracer1100 likes this.
  11. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

I am quitting my job first, don't get any ideas.

On topic - I actually have a few male friends that shunned traditional work to go chase their dreams. Dropping out of good paying jobs to "play". They own their own businesses and are some of the hardest working people I know.

The men that I do know that work menial jobs just to eke by, still live with their mommies or in frat situations. But hey - without anyone to support - that's up to you. Once you realize you can't take any of this with you, your goals change. Having fun is a goal.

All I can do is transfer as much information as possible to the two rug-rats and hope they find what they are looking for.

12. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

I can only assume you are high.

13. Fonda Dix

No maam, its just that my opinion of things differs from your opinion. But you knew that already. :D

14. Fonda Dix

On another note. I thought I might share the New Male Manifesto.

THE NEW MALE MANIFESTO
    I. Men are beautiful. Masculinity is life affirming and life supporting. Male
    sexuality generates life. The male body needs and deserves to be nurtured and
    protected.

II. A man’s value is not measured by what he produces. We are not merely our
    professions. We need to be valued for who we are. We make money to support
    life. Our real challenge, and the adventure that makes life full, is making soul.

III. Men are not flawed by nature. We become destructive when our masculinity is
    damaged. Violence springs from desperation and fear rather than from authentic
    manhood.

IV. A man doesn’t have to live up to any narrow, societal image of manhood. There
    are many ancient images of men as healers, protectors, lovers, and partners with
    women, men and nature. This is how we are in our depths: celebrators of life,
    ethical and strong.

V. Men do not need to become more like women in order to reconnect with soul.
    Women can help by giving men room to change, grow, and recover masculine
    depth. Women also support men’s healing by seeking out and affirming the good
    in them.

VI. Masculinity does not require the denial of deep feeling. Men have the right to
    express all their feelings. In our society this takes courage and the support of
    others. We start to die when we are afraid to say or act upon what we feel.

VII. Men are not only competitors. Men are also brothers. It is natural for us to
    cooperate and support each other. We find strength and healing through telling
    the truth to one another—man to man.

VIII. Men deserve the same rights as women for custody of children, economic
    support, government aid, education, health care, and protection from abuse.
    Fathers are equal to mothers in ability to raise children. Fatherhood is honorable.

IX. Men and women can be equal partners. As men learn to treat women more fairly
    they also want women to work toward a vision of partnership that does not
    require men to become less than who they authentically are.

Sometimes we have the right to be wrong, irresponsible, unpredictable, silly, inconsistent,
    afraid, indecisive, experimental, insecure, visionary, lustful, lazy, fat, bald, old, playful,
    fierce, sad, irreverent, magical, wild, impractical, unconventional, and other things we’re
    not supposed to be in a culture that circumscribes our lives with rigid rules.

15. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Has it ever occurred to you that you may have shitty taste in women? Shitty meaning incompatible. Want different, choose different.

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:crackup:

17. Fonda Dix

You are oversimplifying my position into a common trope. Its not about the quality of the women in my life. They are beyond Steel Magnolias and have enriched my life beyond my greatest expectations.

I have been with the same woman for 30 years and married to her for 16. We have a beautiful, healthy 15 year old daughter. My wife works out of the home for Caterpillar and I work with little kids with autism. I drive a coupe and she drives a lifted Jeep. We fit many traditional and many nontraditional boxes.

That being said, I have a strong dislike for a society that values the success of one gender over the other, that assigns different levels of parental competence based on gender, that utilizes its court system to rob men of their finances and their families, that mocks fatherhood, and that intentionally destroys the proven familial structures that have made many societies successful.

As far as the fleecing of men goes, I have seen it time and time again. I cant ignore the real world examples of friends and family being on the losing end of financial and custody battles for no other reason than they are the husband. I cant ignore the pushing of cohabitation laws to resemble marriage and thus providing access to those same skewed courts for women who have done nothing more than live with a man. I cant ignore the complete lack of authority men are given over the use of money they are paying in child support.

This goes much deeper than picking the wrong woman, sitting in my Moms basement, having a little penis, wearing a fedora, or being labeled a misogynist. This is about the survival of mankind to me. Patriarchal society is successful society. I want success for my country, my brothers, and my family.

18. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Notice your sisters didn't make the cut. Just kidding, sort of, just being snide. While I am putting in my king of the hill entries, can you coach me up on matriarchal societies that have been in place since the advent of gunpowder that have been less successful than their brethren? Also, why need there be either? Also, glad you found your lid. :)

19. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

OK done. So I have some questions for you. I think I have a pretty good idea of what you think, but I don't know why, and I'm not entirely convinced you do either.

1. It seems you see women in a more supporting, vs. Leading, role. Why do you think that is so? Where did that come from? Have you ever questioned it?

2. Kind of personal, but why did you get married when you did? Why not earlier? Later? Feel free to ignore...but it kind of stood out...hell you can ignore all, ha.

3. Vis a vis gender, whose success do you think society values over the other? Surely not men. I will run out of "h"'s and "a"'s...

4. Regarding different level of competence of parenting based on gender, agreed. Read on.

5. IRT utilizing the court systems to rob men of their finances and families, who, in general, is in charge of the court system? Men, women? Cite? You know, breaking down the ubiquitous "they".

6. IRT to being Inn control over how child support is spennt, agreed. See above.

20. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Almost done, on phone clack clack.

You seem to have been banging this legitimate drum about the court systems for awhile. It doesn't seem it has been directly relevant to you, so someone close to you? On that score, I absolutely agree. But that is a separate issue and check who is charge of that.

In any case, you seem at war with a sex (your own) that alternatively protects, infantilizes, values (well, almost, but don't get lippy, lol), etc. women. I guess everyone has to make up their own mind. You wanted a supporter. I wanted a partner. It appears we got what we wanted? But I wouldn't presume to tell any other man how he "ought" to be because I am a woman. Not for any reason. We are individuals, we are equals, we are partners.