1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Georgia "Truck" Laws

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by hinshaw929, Aug 21, 2016.

1. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

2. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

The definition of a truck changes depending on a lot of things. On the federal parkways (BW Parkway, George Washington Parkway) the definition is any vehicle or combination with a GVWR of 10,000lb. Unfortunately, this means my Touareg and 6x12 single axle enclosed trailer can't go because I have a 5200lb axle on the trailer. With a 3000lb GVWR trailer, I would just squeeze under. A good number of F350's wouldn't be officially allowed even without a trailer.

Also from a quick search that I did, an RV does not seem fit into the definition of a MotorCoach. The definitions for a Motorcoach all seemed to be talking about buses used for public transportation, so I am not sure why you think the flyer and law are really any different unless I am missing something.

3. baconologist

The fact sheet in post #1 and the pdf link I posted are both marked #07,
    but are different. The 1st was modified to remove buses and coaches

4. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

Should have been more specific. Motorcoach would be a self powered motorhome. RV is too generic. None of the flyers have the language that notes the definition of a "truck" applies only to that code section. The actual code also says nothing about it applying to a "combination of vehicles" ie a van/truck trailer combination as stated in the flyers.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed it can change from state to state. My duallies, F350 and vans would all be trucks in Illinois but are not in GA (so I could drive them on Lakeshore in Chicago legally :D)

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

8. baconologist

Absolutly, gonna have to print it and keep it in the Heep

9. charles

charles The Transporter

If only you guys would get into helicopters and ultralights, you wouldn't be having these problems on the roads!

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I may keep a copy of that just in case I get handed one that doesn't have all of the information but I am definitely going to print out the real law.

11. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I never understood that either? I use to drive a class B truck w/o air brakes.
    Was required to keep medical card,but not run logs?I by no means know all I should know
    doing this for a living.I usually learn lesson through my wallet..unfortunately
    I DO know not all cops are allowed to give inspections unless properly trained to do
    so in commercial trucks.Kinda my beef with original post,and that kangaroo print out

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, I was wondering that too on them actually being able to enforce it. I know Cobb County here was DOT certified for a while but kept getting out of hand and got it pulled.

13. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Heh, heh . . . . What a bunch of polyanna's . . . you think being knowledgeable about the law, and being correct in that regard when challenged by a police officer will make a difference in whether you get a ticket, go to jail, get rousted on the highway, or basically have any positive/beneficial effect on the outcome of your encounter with a determined, ignorant law enforcement officer. Heh, heh, . . . I want to be around to watch this . . . it's gonna be good. I have a lifetime of such experiences, and the jail visits across the Deep South to provide witness to such.

Carry a copy of the Georgia Code with you . . . that's a good one . . . . :bow: You're really gonna be incensed when after having been arrested (wrongly), and perhaps jailed (wrongly), you're convicted (wrongly) by a man or woman in a black robe who is equally, if not more, ignorant of the law and determined to show you whose on top. Again, let me know when and where because it will be entertaining, if not depressing, to watch.

Jus' sayin' . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

14. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Oh, and 2 more points (the coffee is working this morning):

Thanks to Jim for making us aware of this law. It is somewhat strange,to be sure, but it does affect a lot of us I pull a tandem wheel trailer and thus qualify as a "truck." Go figure).

Sean - Regarding the Georgia Court of Appeals, we have a standing legal research joke: you can find a GA Ct App decision for virtually any proposition, including notably, directly conflicting decisions on the same precise topic. Find a GA Supreme Court decision on the topic if you want to know what the law really is.

Cheers,

Dave

15. charles

charles The Transporter

Dave:

The legal system in Georgia, by comparison, is moving along at warp speed compared to what we got going here in South Carolina, which at times resembles a Medieval feudal system…ignorance is a profession here.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup:

Dave I totally understand where you're coming from and agree - but the one time I did get pulled over the trooper was really cool about it and if he'd gotten that flyer a copy of the full code would have actually helped a bunch.

There will always be those who it's not worth trying to talk to at all levels of the law enforcement process, have to pick your battles carefully :D

17. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

That's why I have you on speed dial. :)