1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teach me about Grunge/Punk/Hard rock/Metal...

Discussion in 'General' started by TheGrouchyCat, Aug 7, 2016.

1. TheGrouchyCat

TheGrouchyCat Don't let my friends know I'm slow

Ok so I grew up listening to classic rock. Ever since I was a little baby with my dad rockin' AC/DC in the '93 ford taurus. Then I hit puberty and I started hanging out with my grandpa more so I got into 50's rock n' roll and went swing dancing at Ohio State to meet some college chicks. (no shame that my mom was my wingman, she's badass). Then through junior and senior years of high school I was split 50/50 between 80's-90's country (garth brooks, george strait, george jones etc...) and classic rock. Now I'm a sophomore in college and for the past few months I've really been into The Offspring, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, and sometimes Green Day, Blink182, etc...
    So I'm looking for suggestions of good songs, history lessons, the usual beeb stuff.
    Lookin' at you @Metalhead

2. ped

ped Banned

so you just started listening to the mediocre mall rock crap they been playing on every lame FM stations rotation for 25 years?

you realize they're so old most of those bands have dead members, right?

motoboy likes this.
  3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Start with the Ramones, Clash, Jawbreaker, Pennywise, Descendents, Bad Religion and the Melvins. If it takes there's a whole lot of great stuff. Alkaline Trio, Dinosaur Jr and Meat Puppets if you're feeling like an adventure.

Grunge is just Punk slowed down with some metal thrown in. Tad, Mudhoney, Soundgarden, L7 . . .

4. TheGrouchyCat

TheGrouchyCat Don't let my friends know I'm slow

I was just waiting for the music to ferment, now I'm ready for it.

5. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

Queens of the Stone Age, The Misfits, Dead Boys

6. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

...to get old school, look for Kyuss (Josh Hommes original band), Dead Kennedys, Misfits (start with Where Eagles Dare), almost any DRI before Definition (Violent Pacification, Dealing with it, Four of a Kind & Thrash Zone, in that order)...and I recommend Ministry (A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste & Psalm 69). If East Coast partying punk is a sound you may like, Murphys Law. Maybe Pixies for a nightcap CD to listen to.

joec likes this.
  7. Bloodhound

Normally in dropped D tuning on the guitar...

8. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Varukers, Discharge, Accused, No Fraud, Zero Boys, Zeke, Toxic Reasons...
    That should get you started.

9. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Yes, and drop D for whatever reason is a pain in the ass to tune for Rocksmith, so I quit trying and started playing blues instead.

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Ramones, Bad Religion, Misfits...go

11. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

Also, if you SirusXM Marky Ramone has a show on Faction. He plays all kinds of great stuff, not the same few songs they normally play in rotation.

12. AndyR1

AndyR1 Well-Known Member

Descendants just released a new album. Screaching Weasels Boogada Boogada Boogada is one of my favorite albums.

13. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Don't forget the Minutemen and Television

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I was thinking to keep it simple and not all that aggressive to start. Don't need to f@ck up his brain with stuff like that, especially with him coming from dinosaur rock.

Zeke should be on every motorcyclist with a soul and a c@ck's play list. :D

t11ravis likes this.
  15. cnp1608

cnp1608 Member

Iggy and the Stooges.

ew422 likes this.
  16. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

The Clash - The Clash - Played at my cousins 18th birthday.
    Queens of The Stone Age. - catch them live at http://www.pappyandharriets.com/calendar/

Zeke
    Dead Bolt

P.S it's just music, it's all good.
    Drop Kick Murphys's , Floggin' Molly.

Give Sarah Jarosz a listen...

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Keep hanging out with your grandpa. Nothing listed here is going to get any better.

R Acree, beac83 and Yzasserina like this.
  18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

How would you know, Papa? I doubt you've listened to anything that hasn't made the top40 in your life. You smell like a Justin Timberlake fan and sound like a Beyonce Broome. :D

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  19. joec

joec brace yourself

Punk covers too many. Id throw agent orange, jfa, the faction, descendents,,early suicidal tendencies, goverment issue, charged gbh, void, bad brains, subhumans... in there no question..

Ministrys mind is one of my all time favorites. The Skatenigs is really good too. Skinny Puppy rabies. But that stuff is industrial. Avd don't forget early kmfdm with en esch.

Aweasel and t11ravis like this.
  20. Bloodhound

Forgot about Mucky Pup "Boy in a Mans World" and completely spaced Suicidal...