1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to me truck time

Discussion in 'General' started by splyn, Aug 4, 2016.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Ask the dealer to pull up service and repair records to see if anything unpleasant

2. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

Yes, I believe the 15 was the year of the new body style. Interior much nicer than the previous body style.

3. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

Yes. New style starts with 14s. I was in the same situation between a 14 and 15 GMC Sierra SLT at a Chevrolet dealership recently. Before settling on those I found another 15 at a GMC dealership. Liked it better, but didn't buy it either. Bought a new 16 instead...dealer and factory incentives made it so close to used, it made no sense to buy one. Before buying a year or two old low mile one, check on new...might be surprised.

BigBird likes this.
  4. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

They should both have a 5yr/100,000 mile powertrain warranty

5. splyn

splyn Well-Known Member

my wallet isnt fat enough for a new truck, so used is my only option. im leaning towards the 15 because of the life left on the powertrain warranty, and the seats vibrate!!! also the "almost flat" way the seats fold down is more convenient, nicer interior, etc. crashman has a good point about the likelihood of city over highway miles. i think the 15 is also a "certified used" car which will give me a 12 month bumper to bumper warranty.

6. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

Is it a GM "certified" used vehicle? If so they come with a 6yr/100,000 powertrain Warranty in addition to the 1yr/12,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  7. splyn

splyn Well-Known Member

Yeah. GM certified.

8. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I put two transmissions in my 2006 Tahoe 80k and 150k Traded it at 190k and it was starting to slip again. I agree with the Sequioa comment. Fit and finish is so much nicer.

Wait till you fill that thing up the first time! My wifes 2000 had a 40 gallon tank!

9. kaoyagi

kaoyagi Well-Known Member

BigBird likes this.
  10. BigBird

BigBird blah

Past Glory likes this.
  11. kaoyagi

kaoyagi Well-Known Member

Fleet vehicles, not that much choice on my end.

BigBird likes this.
  12. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

Take the '15 with the new body style. Its much nicer than the older one IMO. Both engines and drivetrains are pretty bulletproof. I wouldn't be scared of either one.

13. river rat

river rat Well-Known Member

The 2015 vibration thing isn't exclusive to the SUV's. I bought a brand new Silverado only to return it the next day because of vibrations at 70 mph. Drove three more they had on the lot, all with the same exact vibration before I made my way to the Toyota dealership.

BigBird likes this.
  14. splyn

splyn Well-Known Member

thats one of the issues i am looking for when i test drive.

15. joec

joec brace yourself

Im pretty sure those 11 and up have known trans issues. Like was said....80k miles or so and up. And they just switch off one day after being parked a while. Boom..done.

16. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

But you'll have plenty of leg and cargo room while you're waiting for the tow truck :D

BigBird likes this.
  17. Phl218

Phl218 .

'15 ram ecodiesel

/thread

18. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Dodge makes a Suburban type vehicle now?

19. Phl218

Phl218 .

no. the rear section is convertible without top

20. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

Never had an issue with my gm's. Had an '07 GMC Sierra 1500 and now a '07 Avalanche. Both 4x4 and the Avalanche now has 170k on it original tranny. I have some general maintenance to do with some small leaks but nothing major considering the miles. My dad just crossed 270k in his '02 Yukon xl and my brother's '07 Silverado has a hard 165k on it. Not sure what you guys are doing wrong....

FWIW The wifey and I are looking to get an '09+ suburban next year. Mainly I want the 6spd transmission vs the old 4l60e.