1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's an acceptible db level for gens at the track?

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Ok that's good info right there. It's about in line with all the info I've been finding.

2. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

We've sold a bunch of these this year. Good for the track and powering your home, if needed!

omatter34 likes this.
  3. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Or your own toy hauler and 2-3 other people's stuff when out dirt biking in the Florida summers.:)

ekraft84 likes this.
  4. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

40 dB SPL, A-Weighted at 20 feet from the exhaust, on axis (sensor microphone pointed directly at generator exhaust).
    37 dB SPL, A-Weighted at 20 feet from the exhaust, at 90 degrees off axis (perpendicular to the exhaust outlet)

34 dB SPL, A-Weighted at 20 feet to the direct rear of the exhaust (180 degrees off axis)

Measured with 70% of rated load connected and drawing, at standard temperature and pressure in calm wind on paved ground with no other objects within 100 feet horizontally/vertically from center of mass of the generator (exception is the ground) (sound reflections off objects in the sound field alter the readings)

Hint: I don't think any stand-alone generator made meets this spec. Perhaps some mounted into RV's with external exhaust baffling and sound-deadening insulation in the generator compartment might make it.

Did I say I like it quiet when I try to sleep?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  5. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

I have a Hondamaha EXPR6500. It's -82db at full load, there by cancelling out the noise from other loud generators in the paddock and motorbikes on track. It cost me $23000, but F it, this shit's an investment!

SmokeSignalRT likes this.
  6. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

So generator dB is on the new registration forms, pits and grid position will be assigned accordingly.

BigBird likes this.
  7. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

So, metal, did you get the Haint generator running yet?

8. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Ok...here's the deal...I'm trying to come up with acceptible db #s for a list so people will be able to reference it in the future. Here's just a basic list. It can be tweaked if I'm wrong. I'm cool with the help.

60 dbs (give or take): great for day or night use.

70 dbs (give or take) great for day use, but night use may need a little creativity such as a sound box and proper placement.

80 dbs and up: proper placement with extension cords and sound barrier.

Anymore than that then y'all park yall's asses down at turn one. Lol.

That's just a very basic guesstimation.

ALSO.....Harbor Freight....just be quiet....on the weekend of Aug 19-21, will have a 4000/3500 gen on sale for $288. It's rated at 72dbs and it gets pretty good reviews. If you're on the mailing list, the circular they sent has a coupon for that gen that you can use between now and sept 30th for $289.
    I'm thinking about being the guinea pig and buying one to try out.

Thoughts?

9. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

10. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

THIS was your giant experiment outcome??? Here I was expecting something all scientifical and shit.

11. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

It took me two hours to type all that out.

12. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

:crackup:

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

on the smutphone ..smatphone?

14. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Did you type with chopsticks? :Poke:

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  15. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Yes. Misspelled erry word at least two times.

16. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Oh, and it's a 4000/3200. Not 3500.

And 70dbs not 72.

17. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Inverter or open frame?

18. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Frame. I'm really curious about this one. That's pretty good power for a one man show. The right price for us poor folk too.

19. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Youre really gonna believe that 70db rating?!

Its simple. If its open frame 3600rpm screamer, its gonna be loud. Bigger it is, louder its gonna be. Once you get into sound insulated box models, things start to warry because then, design of enclosure starts to matter.

I have the same genny as Rob P. Red champion bought refurbished off ebay a few years back. Used a few times.

I also have a 5kw ex military twin cylinder onan cummins watercooled 1800 rpm whole house backup genny thay you can stand next to and half a normal conversation. In fact when its running, i can feel the vibrations in the house more than i can hear it.