1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrist Fusion

Discussion in 'General' started by ekraft84, Jul 22, 2016.

1. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Full wrist fusion. Has anyone gone through it? Interested in anyone who has done it.

Throttle hand, FWIW.

Thanks.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Eddie spaghetti, is it completely smashed like an ashtray over buck's dome or it partially fixable and then a ton of rehab to get some movement out of it?

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

is this for you Eddie? It can't be that bad....as didn't you just win the endurance race...btw Congrats :beer:

ekraft84 likes this.
  4. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I got into the MMA thing for a minute, and a guy I trained with had it done. He'd been boxing all his life and had so many stress fractures and arthritis that they just couldn't clean it up anymore so he had it fused. He was told he'd have less pain and would be better off, but had the opposite experience.

He switched to southpaw and never hit bags with it, but after two fights was forced to retire because the pain was so severe every time he made contact with his right hand. He said that it made everything difficult and was the biggest mistake of his life. He did mention that if it had been his non-dominant hand it may have been tolerable, but still wouldn't do it looking back.

5. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

My throttle hand scaphoid is broke to. Had surgery back in 2011. It's never been right since then. So after my crash at VIR on the left hand that I broke I had the doc xray the right scaphoid. The X rays basically show the bone shattered around the screw. The doc said he would have a 50/50 chance in fixing it. He said if it doesn't bother me too bad leave it alone. I can ride and play hockey. Sometimes it hurts, sometimes it's just fine. Sometimes I do the most simple stupid shit and it hurts really bad. I can live with it for now but let me know what you find out about the fusing procedure I'm curious.

6. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

No. And no. Three surgeries so far. Progressively getting worse.

7. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Maybe that was the problem!

8. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Thanks. I've read several, "I wish I had fused it sooner" stories that make me optimistic about it. I'm not going to whine and moan, but dealing with the issues is becoming less and less "enjoyable". I have no flexion now (among other things), so losing that to a fusion wouldn't be a bad thing. If the pain goes away and grip strength comes back, I would be fully on board.

9. RollieManollie

RollieManollie I Need to Get My Beak Wet

My really good friend and former roommate has both of his wrists fused due to Rheumatoid Arthritis. Watching him struggle to do simple things like picking up something on a kitchen counter, carrying stuff, typing is tuff to watch sometimes. However, he did not have any alternatives due to RA and I'm not sure if his wrists are fused more than the average person if that's possible.

He does ride a motorcycle but he requires a thumb throttle. He said his golf game got much better when he fused his wrists.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

My wrists were jacked up but not smashed. They started to get worse the last 6 months or so but since I started throwing the lacrosse ball an hour or two a day the recovery has been amazing. No more waking up in the middle of the night with severe pain.

Not saying you should grab a stick and start playing wall ball but maybe give something of the ilk a try before you try surgery. I'm not a doctor, just a jack ass on a backwater BBS.

11. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

We've joked about that, but that sounds crazy for racing. I bet on golf. I always thought I'd have a nice advantage in arm wrestling ..

12. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

You're the most respected, jack ass backwater BBS user I've ever known, though. For what it's worth. :D

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Thanks, now where do I mail the tree fiddy it cost to have you post such utter bullshit? :D

14. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Sounds like its time for a left hand throttle to me!!!!

crazymofo and ekraft84 like this.
  15. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

eddie, I know you have been struggling with this for years now. I HIGHLY RECOMEND GETTING MULTIPLE OPINIONS, FROM SPORTS MED AND SPORTS SPECIFIC ORTHOPEDIC SURGEONS, AND PHYSICAL THEREPISTS, then evaluating the opinions, and then weigh the pluses, and minuses of fusion, and non fusion... THEN MAKE YOUR DECISION.

lynne, and I have both had catastrophic wrist injuries. my right (dominant) hand broke both bones (13+ breaks) and ruptured the thumb tendon. lynne broke her left, (non dominant) hand in 8 places, inc a scaphoid break) both of us have hardware, no fusions.

I struggle with throttle hand positioning on the track, she doesn't. we both struggle with pain periodically. she struggles with grip strength (girly strength :D) I do not have grip strength issues BUT, I lift regularly, to keep my grip strength. it isn't fun but, it is what we do, for the love of the game.

with lynne in the med field, you can call anytime for help, or referral. you have my number. we wish you great luck. Ski

16. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Thanks Eric. Plenty of research has been done, after the first surgery - the primary reason I flew to San Diego for the second and third ones. I'm more interested in finding anyone who has gone through a fusion and what it's like after.

Thanks.

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

From my Holiday Inn reading...a fusion doesn't sound like something for motorcycling..if it's something you wish to continue doing.

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Wasn't that what Nicky Hayden was told when he injured his wrist at Ducati and that was going pretty much end his riding career? He had some new surgery that left him with some movement and (mostly) fixed his issues?

19. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

That's essentially how I've been riding the past several years!

There's virtually no range of motion. I'm hoping the negative side is something I've got already, and the positive side (less pain, increased grip strength) would make it worthwhile. The range of motion limits I can work with..

20. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Yes. Dr. James Chao. Same surgeon I've had. Great guy. Fusion is his recommendation. Some stuff is irreversible unfortunately.