1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texas living? Pros? Cons?

Discussion in 'General' started by ToofPic, May 31, 2016.

1. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

My wife and I are considering relocating to Corpus Christi TX.She works in the medical field,and has a few
    good offers in the area.Weve never lived in TX but would love to live on the water,and Corpus Christi sounds
    great.
    Any info on housing,things to do would be appreciated! Hows the track life in this area? Closest orgs?
    Do I have to wear a cowboy hat/sombrero,shit kickers?
    Thank ye kindly!

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Ain't but two things come from Texas, steers and...

CMRA (for at least a while).

ToofPic likes this.
  3. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

You can ride nearly all year long, people are friendly, GREAT FOOD!! I don't know of any cons.

ToofPic likes this.
  4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

the Cowboys.

ToofPic likes this.
  5. PATBAROK

PATBAROK I <3 Poontang

Joanna Gaines
    [​IMG]

Gixxerguy855, G2G and ToofPic like this.
  6. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Low taxes, friendly people, red state politics, hot as shit, strong job market, humid in Corpus, very segregated, good food.

ToofPic likes this.
  7. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

I may be able to help with this since I moved my family to rural Texas 1 year ago today from NE Ohio. Other than leaving family behind, I can't think of one thing I don't like. We love the heat, the sunshine, the people, food.......you name it. The only thing I don't like as mentioned above, is that it is still a little segregated. Coming from the Midwest, I kinda thought we grew out of that. I do love the conservative thinking, independence and NO BS mentality of living here. Barring unforeseen circumstances, I can't see ever going back North to live. Roads are good, no state tax, almost zero real-estate tax for me (agriculture)....its fantastic. I retired from road racing a few years ago, so cant comment on that scene.......but from what I gather, its pretty good. Me and my wife rodeo and run some cattle, so its heaven here for us! Theres no better place to be for me!

8. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Texas sucks!!!! It's HOT!!!! It's HUMID!!!! There's no JOBS!!!!

STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(just kidding, Texas is awesome, but the humidity in the CC area is HORRIBLE, even by southern standards.)

The red state BS gets old, the blue state wannabees get old. ...Politics, just in general, gets old.

Did I mention the humidity in the Corpus area?

panthercity, CMRA 270 and ToofPic like this.
  9. backcountryme

What-a-burger!!!

Drops mic

breezie, hiddentoken, drop and 2 others like this.
  10. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

North side of Dallas, here. Weather sucks. Roads suck (too small, broken up/bad soil). Food good, humidity OK, taxes high, home costs high, schools very good.

jonathanp likes this.
  11. backcountryme

But Dallas just sucks. Haha

panthercity likes this.
  12. CMRA 270

CMRA 270 Comes here for the latest CMRA gossip

The state is huge...and really, it's almost "regional" in some ways...liberal in Austin...and 100 miles south in San Antonio, it's more conservative. I don't know much about Corpus, but know peeps from there...it's a great area...beach to enjoy, affordable homes...racing is in Houston and a track near Austin.

I travel a bunch for work...all over the US. Things I like about Texas;

Whataburger
    Southwest Airlines
    Three NBA teams
    Two NFL (if you count the Cowboys)
    GREAT places to vacation without leaving the state
    No state taxes
    Reasonably priced housing
    Great mix of cultures
    The CMRA
    Great racetracks
    Texans have a certain...attitude I think. We're in the south, but not southern. Our politics seem...unique. Overall, from my perspective, the vast majority of people are socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

13. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

Aunt and Uncle have lived there for their forever and love it. They do get some tropical storm crap here and there, but overall they seem to really like it. She is semi-retired and he's a truck driver, or was, but they say the sun is great and people are friendly. Doesn't sound overrun with crap yet either.

ToofPic likes this.
  14. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

what track(s) are close to Austin? Will be moving there soon.

15. caboose

caboose I love peanut butter!

COTA.....

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Real estate is cheap as fuck (comparatively). You can live in behemoth sized house in TX for less than an average house in the northeast. Taxes much lower too.....and you can shoot people with less chance of repercussions :D

600k2 likes this.
  17. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

AMEN!!!!! lol

18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Weather ain't looking so great right now. All spring has been hailstorms and flooding. Still, I worked with a few hundred Texans on a project and I can say for certain they were some of the best folk I've ever met. Except for that boudin they had. Their brisket was the best but that boudin changed my life. In the worst way. Bleh.

19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Im forever ruined... or shall I say redeemed? I will never eat "BBQ" outside of that State again. Holy crap it made all the FL places look like amateurs!!

backcountryme likes this.
  20. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Don't. No more room.