1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panigale race/track prep

Discussion in 'Tech' started by kman0066, Apr 4, 2016.

1. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

Bike is a 2012 Panigale 1199 S + ABS

Already has (or have on order):
    Slip-on exhaust
    Rearsets
    Tuneboy to adjust ECU
    Sprint Air Filter
    Ducati Quickshifter

General thoughts/tips on what to get/modify/tweak? It will be a while before I get it on track, but my initial impressions are that it's a little slow to steer, so any tips on making that better would be helpful. This build will be a little different for me since it's going to be serving dual-duty (street and track).

Is a 520 setup still a good choice on a bike with this much torque? The chain has some rust and I want to re-gear it, so cost is going to be about the same whether I stick with 525 or go 520.

Brake pads? I need something that will do street and track, so I'm thinking of the EBC EPFA. The (used) bike surprisingly came with E-bay/Chinese brake pads installed, so they NEED to be changed. I know they have the feel I'm looking for on the track, but I've never used them on the street to know how well they work cold.

Crash protection? Anything particular on this bike that needs attention besides maybe a set of case covers?

Safety-wire? Any gotch-ya's on safety-wiring it that isn't like any other bike or additional bolts outside of the required stuff that should be wired?

(and I know...I talk shit about how expensive these are and then I go buy one...but it was a hell of a deal that I couldn't pass up :) )

2. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Broome to the Bling Phone!

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

He will just say "Call Livengood"

Shenanigans and TLR67 like this.
  4. kman0066

Haha, probably. And that would be the smart thing...but I'm not smart. Actually, half of my fun with racing is tinkering with the bikes. I probably enjoy it as much as I do racing itself. So for better or worse, I do all of my own work if at all possible.

5. amartin

amartin Well-Known Member

Cool bike. Congrats. My two cents after owning one:

Don't crash. It will be expensive regardless of what case covers you buy...but I used the gb covers.

If you're going tuneboy, buy the load cell kit he sells and forget the ducati qs. His autoblip setup works great.

A good quality 520 is fine.

You might want to relocate the front pickup. Stock setup I found to be a pain with warmers.

Use locktite.

Be extra prepared for race days. Unless you're some kind of mechanic freak of nature, some parts of that bike can be a real challenge to work on when you're in a rush.

Use locktite.

Good luck!

Focker and Phl218 like this.
  6. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I built Broome's bike and I would ditch the tuneboy and go rapidbike.

Yes get crash protection.

Bodywork is kinda PITA

7. My 1299S was bought and built by D&D Cycles in Pensacola, with parts from Sportbike Track Gear, then it went to Livengood Motorsports for final dyno tuning via the Rapidbike Module. Like Rob said, ditch the Tuneboy and get the RB. It is the preferred tuner for the Panigale.

Yes a 520 kit will work. DID makes a crazy strong racing chain rated for 1300cc (that is what is on mine).

Safety wire, in addition to the normal stuff, wire the Valve Cover bolts. Do this. They have been known to back out on people.

Brake Pads - I prefer SBS Dual Carbon.

Definitely get some Case Covers for it (I went with the GB Racing protective bundle, used that on several bikes, and tested it, it is great and very lightweight).

Spring rate wise, be prepared to go much stiffer on the front that you would think....and much softer on the rear. We (read: Livengood :D) went into both ends twice in the first race weekend making spring rate changes.

As far as the steering, I know they made geometry changes from the 1199 to the 1299, so I really cant help you there.

8. Phl218

Phl218 .

I have 2 "dented" spare tanks if you need one...

Also, there's an Italian company on eBay that makes a gfk tank cover. I'd recommend that.
    Also swingarm protection.

R&g makes steering stop limiters- that will save the tabs on the lower triples

Set the suspension to the flat setting.
    And as said before: loctite
    And wire the valve cover bolts

Good luck!

9. kman0066

Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like the 1199R came with a different steering bearing setup that might help with the steering. Makes it 24 degrees from 24.5 degrees. Sounds like the 1299 is 23.5 degrees. It also seems to have come with an adjustable swingarm pviot, which everyone seems to like going with the -4 setting. These settings seem to be stock/solid on the 1299, so I guess it's all around good for running this bike with slicks. The R bearing kit is affordable ~$140 (SO much cheaper than a set of adjustable triples), the R swingarm setup is a little more at $700 in parts, but from what I hear it makes the biggest difference.

Thanks for the advice on the spring rates! I was considering going softer in the front since it's so stiff stock, but now I'll wait.

I've got the tank off now, guess I'll get to wiring the valve covers.

10. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

"Kinda" is an understatement.

11. codyjphoto

codyjphoto Well-Known Member

Pics as you go along? I'd love to watch the progress. I have a measly 899.

12. kman0066

Why is that? Is it just the lack of support for Tuneboy? Or are there features that rapidbike tool allows you to modify that are more helpful? I just finished loading up the Tuneboy map tonight and added my trim file, turned on launch control (can't test for awhile), reset my oil-change light, and have started to look at the auto-tune. So far it's functioning great, other than being a major PITA to setup...but I'm done with that now.

I only did a small amount of research to pick between the two, but it was the oil-service reset that did it for me on picking between the two, but I obviously didn't get too far into the specifics. From what I understand though, Rapid-bike is a piggy-back. Assuming that's true, could I not use both? Tuneboy to reset the light, make ECU changes, and rapid-bike to do what it does best (which is unknown to me)?

Sure, this will be a SUPER slow build for me. So don't expect updates too often, but here is where I'm at today:

[​IMG]

Already done to bike when I bought (and keeping):
    1.) Carbon fiber bodywork. Yeah, used chinese levers and brake pads, but added several thousand dollars in carbon fiber bodywork to it.
    2.) Rearsets...a little nervous about VooDoo...but they're on there
    3.) Ducati quickshifter. Seems to work great. Kind of want the auto-blip though, so may need to get a different switch.

After purchase, I have:
    1.) Changed knive levers for Vortex levers. Surprisingly less painful!
    2.) Wrapped the exhaust loop under the seat and the tube touching the bodywork in header wrap.
    3.) Attached the rear brake pedal (which the previous owner had removed for "safety") (Note: The rearsets are VooDoo Moto rearsets (came with bike). From what I understand, these are made by Yana Shiki in China....gulp))
    4.) Replaced fork/seals fluid in forks (Sorry I don't have pics, but it's pretty standard Ohlins R&T fork stuff.
    5.) Replaced 1000000000000 missing bolts. Okay, it was probably more like 13-14 missing, but there was a ton of missing hardware. I see why the recommendations for locktite now!
    6.) Replaced the heat shield over the rear exhaust. So, didn't realize why my ass was on fire at first, but turns out there's supposed to be a heat shield between my exhaust and my bum. Much cooler now.
    7.) Fixed mirrors (this will be a dual-purpose street/track bike). Discovered you can order the replacement plastic clip if you look it up for a 1199R. Doesn't show up for 1199S, but same exact mirrors. Good to know that when looking for Ducati parts, search all similar models
    8.) Deleted the charcoal filter and exhaust valve. An old brake disc bolt fit perfectly to block off the old hole in tubing left my no exhaust valve/butterfly.
    9.) Added the Termignoni EVO exhaust and sprint filter (okay, filter is waiting on new OEM frame to come in, hopefully in a few days). It looks beautiful though. Can't believe I spent that much on the exhaust....wait, that car behind it I spent more...sigh.
    10.) Tuneboy. I just uploaded the V6 tune and config to it tonight. Main points: reset oil light, new fuel map to match slip-ons.
    11.) Bled brakes wth new Motul RBF brake fluid. So...learned that I have to remove the rear caliper to bleed it properly. Go Ducati! No seriously, the caliper they picked has the bleed port in the wrong location when mounted to properly bleed. Why, becuz we I'talian!)
    12.) Turn signals. I had to add some back to the bike. Made a custom braket for the plate/signals. It's nothing special, just a small piece of sheet-metal to hold it all up.

What I have planned for near future:
    1.) AFAM 520 kit (carrier, 15/41 sprockets). - Because the existing chain is worn and might as well replace with better stuff.
    2.) Case covers. Looking at the GB covers as Broome recommended.
    3.) Brake pads (Choosing between Vortex and EBC...I love EBC, but I can get a nice deal on Vortex).
    4.) Race seat. I'm liking the Ducati race seat, looking for one in the near future.
    5.) Shorai battery. The battery in it is dying...quick. Need to get another, might as well go lighter.

Then:
    1.) Fiberglass race bodywork/belly-pan
    2.) Safety-wire it all!
    3.) Lighten rear rotor or replace
    4.) Adjustable 1199R swingarm pivot
    5.) Steeper steering angle bearings from 1199R
    6.) Tank grips (probably stomp-grip)
    7.) CAN bus hookup for my AIM-Solo lap-timer/data-logger
    8.) Tank sliders (dunno which one yet)
    9.) Additional gearing for other tracks
    10.) Maybe the 1199R windscreen. I'm a tall guy, I could use all the wind-deflection I can get.

Basically, I'm in a rush to get it safe/ready for street (plus some extras like exhaust), but track form will be a much slower update, and it's not going to be as a crazy build as I usually do. But I may tinker with it over the next 2 years and make it crazy. Who knows!

Phl218 likes this.
  13. Phl218

Phl218 .

I run the TB and the RB combined. no problem.

got the TB for the mentioned capabilities, it had no auto-tune at that point.
    Then i wanted to test the RB (race) and installed that. (PITA compared to the TB install)

Both work great together, i guess as long as you don't run both autotuners at the same time (as in the one from the TB).

i guess for you the TB will suffice in this case.

14. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Lol you should read the messages from me to Broome and Swenson regarding the body...

Lol I almost threw it in the trash like 20 times and that's 100% the truth.

I literally had to admit to Broome that I was being a little bitch about it:)

Plus we mounted 1199 stuff on a 1299 which has little differences and also the fairing stay was different too.

Made it work and am proud to say I helped build it. It's art

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  15. metricdevilmoto

To complicate matters further, I'm starting off with a 2016 Panigale R. Swapped the fairing stay and subframe already once I realized my battle was more uphill than I originally thought.

Also, putting the Ducati name on anything makes it triple the price. I have no idea why the levers cost what they do. Or the rearsets. Or ... well, anything.

16. kman0066

It's been hard finding good deals on parts for sure.
    Levers I got from Vortex, which were normally priced.
    Coughed up the cash for the Termignoni exhaust, which was a rip-off, but at least it's better than the Akro price (*puke). I tried to justify it to myself by saying it's ok because comes with a free air filter, haha.
    Rearsets are stupid expensive, but my bike came with a set (all be it a cheap Chinese manufactured set (Voodoo).

I'm still in disbelief on the price of the sprockets and associated gear. That shouldn't be an expensive part...but it is.

How about that Sprint P16 air-filter, taken a look at that? People are charging $350+ dollars for it, lol!

The most interesting part for me has been used-parts prices. I've learned to always check with the dealer first, because fairly often, the parts are cheaper straight from Ducati than they are for crashed parts on Ebay. Go figure.

That all said, this bike is pretty darned good. I don't think I'm going to have to do too much to it like I normally do.

17. pdt155

pdt155 Active Member

What makes the panigale bodywork such a gut-wrenching thing to do? Honestly asking out of curiousity.

18. metricdevilmoto

There's 87 pieces where there should be one. Because Italian, where form trumps function. It makes me outright angry to see the WSBK peeps running an exhaust that would probably make working on this thing a lot less cumbersome. Especially after we sourced the exhaust they WERE using.

amartin likes this.
  19. metricdevilmoto

Take a wild guess what a set of Brembo levers retails for ... once you put the Ducati logo on them.

20. pdt155

pdt155 Active Member

Jeez, ok that does sound awful!