1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Ti Valves

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Coralsnake, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

I have been trying to find information but no luck, I have a 08 gsxr600 with 4 valves leaking, but as far as i know i cant lapping because the titanium valves.
    I want to fix these leaking but I cant find the way to resolve it, i readed on a cbr fórum (I think) that someone there lapp his Ti valves and found no problem after a while, also i readed that i should just cut the valve seat with tools like NEWAY Brand or even just lapping the seat with a used valve and after that just drop the used valve.
    I know the best way to improve the performance of the head and get the correct seat angles is to send the head to be machined on a profesional workshop as EDR or KWS, or something like that, unfortunatly my pocket is tight for now and i just want to make the bike to run as good as possible.
    What can i do??
    use a used valve to lapp lightly the seat?
    ask for a friend to use his NEWAY tool?? (also i readed that this tool leave the Surface very agressive)
    or just lapping the Ti valves lightly??

hope someone can help me

2. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

You can use an old valve to lap the seat. You can use a Neway cutter to cut the seat. However, it's most likely the valve is the problem, so it needs to be replaced. Ti valves are coated to protect them from wear. Once the coating is off your valve, wear is greatly accelerated and failure follows. Replace the valves, do a valve job. Unfortunately, this is the only safe choice and if your budget doesn't allow, save up. Trying to cut corners will cost more later.

3. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

So, if I replace the valves with a new ones, can I cut or lap the seat with a used valve and just drop the new ones? new valves dont need anything than just install them on a resurfaced seat???

4. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

try a low mileage head off ebay. no way to tell for sure if its low mile till you get it, but a cheaper option.

5. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Doing a valve job with Neway cutters is not something for beginners. You will make mistakes. Have that part done by a pro. $20 per hole.

6. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

This.

Attached Files: