LT tires vs. trailer tires

Discussion in 'General' started by Scott Swensgard, Oct 11, 2015.

1. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

I switched to LT tires this year and am very happy. I have 16 inch rims.

2. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

3. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

This.

4. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Call me cheap, but....8 wheels and tires for my 6 wheel TH (including 2 spares) adds up to over $5k...

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I could see one bad tire doing $5K worth of damage.

6. Dano711

Dano711 Well-Known Member

7. Red Fox Racing

Actually, you only need 6 wheels and tires. Your current spares are the same size as the new tires, but you won't be needing the spares or braking the side of your slide outs. $$$$ big dollars to fix. Worth it in the end if you don't feel like changing blown tires, at night, in the rain, on the way to your race weekend. Just a thought, your mileage may very.

8. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

I did say might, 16" wheels are available as both 5 lug and 8 lug variety, 17.5 are only 8 lug.

I went the G614 route as getting a tire while traveling is much easier for a 16 than a 17.5 wheel. Caveat the G614 are almost always special order tho just the ability to get a temporary replacement while traveling if you destroy a tire, (I never had one blow out in over 12 years of towing with them)

9. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I had the same goodyear bias plys on my tow dolly for 10.5years before one finally blew out. Way overloaded it with econoline vans and whatnot all the time too. Guess I got lucky.

10. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Went LT and not going back.

11. Red Fox Racing

Sorry, didn't think about a five lug on a TH. My bad, assumed they were all 8 lug hubs. Thanks.

12. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

They totaled Randy's Hobbi toy hauler after a blowout.

13. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I had these on my 46' trailer. They were the worst tire I've had on a trailer, ever, I've been towing trailers since the 80's. They would last between 5 and 30k miles. not one ever wore out. They all exploded with good tread. Plus at dealer cost they are right at $350.

I switched to a P.R.C. (Peoples republic of China) and have had much better luck. They have been on there since the end of 2012. Better tire, and they cost just under $200.

I was afraid of the P.R.C. tire at first, but I decided that the Goodyear sucked, so at worst these would also. But they would be cheaper. Turns out, the Chinese are way better at tires than Goodyear.

I know a lot of people running the Bridgestone Transforce with good success.