It ain't cheating til you get caught -VW Diesels

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Sep 18, 2015.

1. caferace

caferace No.

From what I read, EU allows 80 NoX, while US allows 31 NoX.

So ...

-jim

2. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

3. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Ehhhhhh...... not really true.. Relative values (40x) only tell half the story, but same with absolute ones (5/200ppm). 5ppm of hydrogen cyanide is easily tolerated by the human body. 200ppm, on the other hand, is fatal within seconds.

40x the rate that caferace listed (31ppm) is 1240ppm. Medical nitrous oxide, the kind the dentist uses to put you to sleep, is delivered to you at only 800ppm. So, at its higher end, each of those cars driving around is basically the equivalent of opening up a tank of laughing gas and spraying it up into the air as you drive by.

4. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

5. 600k2

600k2 Well-Known Member

N2O and NOx are two different things.
    Nitrous oxide and oxides of nitrogen.
    The x can be a 2, 3, whatever.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You know what pisses me off about this drivel? That I most likely won't ever be able to get a 2.0 gasoline A3 5 door or a S3 5 door.

No way they'll bring in a "hatchback" without the diesel hipster wagon.

I hope someone kills the bitch that snitched!

7. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

8. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Similar concentrations, was the point. But if you did spray a can of N2O into the air, the N2O would eventually react with the O2 and make NO and O3, making my analogy actually surprisingly correct, lol.

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I was seriously planning on buying a sportswagen tdi. Now I don't even know if I'll be able to :(

10. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

11. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Didn't Volkswagen make the cars for the nazis?

13. caferace

caferace No.

And Godwins Law makes an appearance ...

-jim

14. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

I'll go with that. Living in the Philly area for 35 years the smog has never gone away. Most vehicles in the area are newer along with clean diesel trucks frequenting the highway.

I wouldn't be surprised....

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Every time!

The video of Hitler being pissed off about his Volkswagen's emissions is already out there though.

16. Zero sulfur diesel fuel is the norm in Europe

17. LabRat

LabRat Well-Known Member

Might want to review the chemistry here. NOx in exhaust is NO and NO2 which can create nitric acid/acid rain, Nitrus Oxide is N2O and it makes happy hippies.

18. We make urea systems for almost all NA vehicles and fuel tanks for all NA VW, this is going to be interesting to say the least. I'm over in Germany right now and it's a mad scramble trying to think what VW is going to do but either way it won't end well. I'm hoping VW detunes them and basically buys the cars off people. Them pick up a used one and have it flashed. I miss my tdi with 168hp and 398ftlb at the wheels, and it was a wagon :)

19. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

This. Diesel would be the answer to many problems if not for overbearing idiots.

20. Think VW's board meeting is going on right now, sure a few people have already packed up their things from their office.