1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cage Care : Swirl Marks and detailing

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Sep 21, 2015.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

What's the best way to get swirl marks out of black paint? and keep it that way.

I tried a Meguiar's diamond cut compound with a DA Porter Cable and cutting pad, and then waxed it after and the swirls were no different than when I started...

2. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

You need to polish between the rubbing compound and wax. Get a good quality polishing compound and spend a couple hours.

3. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

4. ROSS08

ROSS08 Active Member

I used a flex da polisher with meguiars m105 on a lake country orange hybrid pad to cut and the. Meguiars m205 polish on a white LC hybrid pad to finish. I did our suburban and Yukon which are both white that had tons of swirl marks. It cleaned them up nicely and are no longer visible using a either a halogen or fluorescent light. I spent a little extra money and bought the flex da polisher over the porter cable being its forced rotation. A lot of work ether way.

5. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

This is a 14 year old paint job.

[​IMG]

This is a 22 year old paint job.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the size of the picture I dont know how to reduce it.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  6. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

7. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Wash, clay bar then 4 steps of the polish depending on the paint defects and then the wax. Its an all day affair. Once you get the paint were you want it its just the lighter polish for light swirl marks and wax as needed.

8. eppy01f4i

eppy01f4i Well-Known Member

9. Don't use a buffer - polish/wax by hand. Don't polish/wax in circles. I don't care what Mr. Miyagi said.

10. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

:stupid:

This is what I use also. The "level 4" polish is the finest "level 1" being the harshest (I think that's right, have only had one cup of coffee so far). Depending on how bad it is you either work your way down or I use only the level 4 on my all black GT500 since it hasn't really had any blemishes on it yet that require a less fine polish.

-steve

11. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Blue or white foam pad and 3M swirl remover

12. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I'm going to show off my old school rationale on this one.... :stupid:

I have a DA polisher, several different style pads, polishes, compounds and waxes....and IMHO, it's all useless unless you invest the time to properly learn it all. If you don't, you're just going to have problems getting the finished product most of us desire.

I bought all the stuff above in an effort to save me some shoulder/elbow grief, not getting any younger here. :moon:

Most of my cars were black, most of my buddies growing up were all into cars so we knew fairly well what worked and what didn't. And I'm here to tell you this product> http://www.ultrafinishproducts.com/UltraFinishPolish.html worked VERY WELL on black finishes.

If you have the patience to do it by hand, follow its direction by working in only 2' square portions in a back & forth motion. I'm telling you this stuff worked AWESOME....iirc, it might show some streaks once you get the whole car polished but what I'd do is mix up a batch into a sprayable misting polish into an old Windex bottle and go over the entire car again and it'd smooth out everything leaving one stunning finish. If I still had 25 yr old shoulder's, it'd be the only way I detail a car, especially a black one!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  13. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Polishing and waxing are two different steps.

14. Thank you, Captain Obvious.

15. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

I think what his point was is that lots of people think car wax and car polish are the same thing. Then Confuse people more when products have both wax and polish in them.

Ride safe,
    AAron

16. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Instead goggling, whats the difference between the two steps?

17. 12v_dub

12v_dub Well-Known Member

You cannot correct a paint finish or remove light to moderate swirls by hand. Invest in an affordable machine like PC7424 and look up junkman2000 on youtube. He has great videos on how-to on anything from proper washing to correcting paint.

Here's one of 3 cabinets of my detail essentials.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

full detail on my boss's car
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. One of the most consistently entertaining aspects of the beeb is that it's full of "experts" who never actually read what they are replying to. :up:

19. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

i used this setup on my black CBR. i never got it to 100%. the scratches and swirls were deep so i prob needed a more aggressive polish. but it was def good enough for my taste. lighting is diff in the pics below, making the after pic look a little better than it actually is.

before:
    [​IMG]

after:
    [​IMG]

oh, ive totally used the system to remove scratches from windscreens. 2000grit sandpaper and then polishing took off pretty much everything