Torque Split

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Sep 19, 2015.

1. I don't know what "idiot savant" means, so I'm just going to assume it is an insult and throw one of these out. :moon:

:D

2. Thanks :beer:

I love it so far. It has the optional performance exhaust and sounds badass. Especially when I'm accelerating hard from a stop and it is banging through the gears (7spd trans). It let's out a pop like a Quickshifter and shifts immediate with no lag at all.

But it will be a while before I get it all figured out. So many buttons and I'm scared to press half of them while driving because I don't know what will happen. One of them might be an Eject button. :crackup:

3. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Google torque on demand. Drives fronts as only as needed

4. joec

joec brace yourself

So, if you put it into reverse, then stop on it, whats the blinky thing do then?

5. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I just don't understand why he put the word "savant" in the sentence...:Poke::D

6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

It's very important that you monitor that display at all times.
    Porsche put it there so you could quickly react if the torque split gets dangerously out of balance.

7. I'm not sure how "I had never heard of that" translates into "I'm smarter than the engineers at Porsche". :confused:

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I'm sure the car is a lot smarter than you. Any button that will mess anything up will be deactivated while the car is moving.

9. :moon:

Nope, it got on my nerves so I changed that screen to Nav. If you want to play with the radio, you can put the Nav map on the dash in that same right hand box. It is identical to the big radio one, just smaller.

I did it by accident when I was spinning the little menu ball on the steering wheel. But I'll keep it because it is less likely to get on my nerves.

10. Good point, hadn't thought of that.

11. joec

joec brace yourself

Yeah, but if youre sitting still, you can just get out. Its when youre moving that you need to eject. Just sayin.

12. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

because it's a Saturday of a non race weekend, and I'm bored :crackup:

13. Daekwan

Daekwan Ant Gobert's fav. rider..

I'm pretty sure almost all AWD "sport cars" work like this. Meaning they are rear wheel biased with the torque will be variably split between front and rear to provide traction where it is most needed. Launch from a dead stop should be 50/50.. but anything beyond launch will be more rear bias as that offers the most performance during straight-line and corner exit acceleration.

This type of tech doesn't just exist on $150K sports cars either. Most current AWD vehicles.. including cheap commuting $30K crossovers like the Honda CRV.. also do the same variable torque splitting. However with many of these cheaper vehicles being FWD based.. the AWD option if often FWD biased and sends power to the rear when needed.

4WD is alot different than AWD because there usually a 50/50 torque split between the front and rear. 4WD vehicles also generally have the option of a 2x4 mode, low/high modes and the ability to lock the differential to make all 4 wheels turn at the exact same time. This is incredibly helpful in the mud or snow where one wheel spins and the vehicle will not move forward or backwards.

14. Can't argue with that. :D

15. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Why doesn't anyone just Google it? I did because I was curious...explains it perfectly...

16. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

There you go throwing logic into the mix. :Poke:

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Why Google when you can WERAGLE?

18. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Hmmmmm...I like the idea of that, but it sounds strange...let's call it Beeble...somebody TM Pronto! :D

19. Because there are lots of guys on here with real world experience with this shit. Not to mention the fact that this place would be boring as hell if everyone just googling everything instead of having active discussions about it.

20. throwdown

throwdown Well-Known Member

Effin A