1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will the Yamaha FZ-07 take over LWT?

Discussion in 'General' started by 50Joe, Dec 12, 2014.

1. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  2. swiest152

swiest152 Zoran's headache

It will be a few years before everything is cheap enough to start taking place of the SV.

track wagon likes this.
  3. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

I totally agree.

I think the biggest deciding factor will be how much cash a motor build will cost to get 90ish HP.

I think last time I checked it was 4K plus to get to the 90 hp mark for a new gen SV. (edit: and last more than a couple races)

4. ofcounsel

ofcounsel Above the Law

I don't know if it will be a couple of years... It could be, but maybe not. I do know that parts won't come unless there's a need. The Need won't come until someone gives these bikes a go. That's for sure. So I'm willing to give it a go. I'm not very fast. But if I can be in the mix, running mid-pack with a good handling bike, I'll be very happy.

Anyway, with as much as I crash, I think I alone can pretty much jump start the aftermarket crash protection parts biz.

[​IMG]

5. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Nice....

Hit me up when you are ready to buy one. I have access to buy salvage and I really don't need to make any cash for fellow WERA racers.

6. ofcounsel

ofcounsel Above the Law

I don't think engine builds will be the deciding factor. I think the chassis may be the deciding factor. You can build a bike with a brute motor, but if it can't turn and brake, the motor won't help. I think that was a problem with the Kawis. Even with motor work, they were still shit, because they didn't handle well. But if you can have a sweet chassis that just does what you want it to, thats fun. And it gives confidence to go faster.

And I think getting to 90 hp on a bike like this would cost about the same.... Headwork, pistons, rods, valves, springs.... Aftermarket internal parts all cost about the same, regardless of engine they're going into.

In 2011 when I was chasing a WSMC championship, I had two 1st gens: a 94hp, fully built "A" bike beast, and a milder 81hp Flat-slide/cam swap "B" bike. On one race Sunday, I crashed out my "A" in my first sprint race, 1/2 hour later, I jump on my "B" bike and broke it off everyone else, winning the race by a country mille. My lap times on the "B" bike were only off by .1-.2 from the "A" bike. Not enough to make a difference in my class. After that, I never fully built another engine.

7. ofcounsel

ofcounsel Above the Law

Thanks!!! I'll likely start the hunt in a month or two when the slippers start coming off the production line!

8. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Keep in mind the quality behind them. A set of the Yosh's will hold up in a large majority of incidents. Something like GB's will grind right down and potentially still cause damage.

9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

bookmarked :D:D:D

10. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Very true!!

I just picked up a set for that Yosh GSXR 1000 I just picked up.

So what do you think about this new LW bike? Would you take the plunge and be a pioneer or stay with a SV?

11. swiest152

I tried to take the plunge the second the dealer got one last year but they wouldn't sell it to me since it was their only one, they wanted it to show off. I decided then I would stick with the Sv for awhile longer.

track wagon likes this.
  12. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Unless GB was one of the names in your sig line... (insert smiley face here)

13. swiest152

14. pdt155

pdt155 Active Member

Isn't the subframe of an FZ-07 welded on? What happens when you crash and tweak the subframe bad? Replacing a whole main frame from a simple crash would suck. If there is an obvious solution pardon my ignorance.

15. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

The obvious solution is don't crash :D
    Lots of bikes are raced with welded on subframes- not ideal, but wouldn't stop me from racing that bike

16. phen22

phen22 Member

If you are looking to buy a $3000 bike and go racing the FZ-07 isn't the bike for you.

But if you race in the LW Twins class you should welcome it to the grid.

Why? Because, without new bikes, the classes will fade. Y'all will become like the crazy AHRMA coots riding 20 year old bikes and wondering where all the competition went.

Trust me. Before my SV I had a GSXR750.

Without 600s racing up, the 750 classes would already be extinct [they are already gone from some organizations].

If you are addicted to tiny grids that guarantee you a plastic trophy every round, I understand the resistance. On the other hand, if you prefer big grids and plenty of actual racing, you should welcome new options. This bike isn't going to show up and dominate the class but it may give it lifeblood to continue. And, over time it will be cheaper to run.

KTM has flirted with the idea of bringing in a 650 twin. We should welcome that as well.

Plus, the guys buying and building the newer bikes in the class likely have more money then the rest of us. That usually means they have better beer. So, welcome them, drink their brew and beat them on your SV.

As for me, I am ruined since riding the FZ and need to figure out how to get one... cheap.

Gorilla George likes this.
  17. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I think my dad might. He's ready to pull the trigger on something. He has a lead on a nice cartridge kit that works with the stock forks that he'd like to help develop. Like some have mentioned, chassis is his primary concern.

18. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

If it wasn't a good product, it wouldn't be in my sig line Thomas. You should know that by now. <insert smiley face here>

19. swiest152

I am not not welcoming the FZ by any means. I want to see them show up.

You might have tiny grids there, but we have 15-25 SV's rolling around the track here. :)
    Those Cali grids are sad to look at. East Coast grids are very healthy as far as size and speed go.

They were looking at a 750 for WSS

you sure are reusing "welcome" like everyone here is saying "GO AWAY FZ07!!!!"

20. phen22

phen22 Member

good.

WERA WEST SV grid is pretty non existant but AFM and CVMA are still decent. i'd prefer 30 to 15 though.

not everyone.