1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will the Yamaha FZ-07 take over LWT?

Discussion in 'General' started by 50Joe, Dec 12, 2014.

1. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Will it? Looks pretty decent on paper and is pretty light in comparison.

2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Likely so, but I'm not gonna be the first to spend the $7K to buy it and 2-3 more to prep it to find out.

3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I'm sure some are already prepped and tested, but nobody's showing their cards just yet.

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

what race body is there?

or in English...who makes race plastics for it?

5. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

6. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Didnt they say the ninja 650 would take over the sv? Dont see many out there on the grids.

7. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

AP Moto Arts in Cali has one they are building into a race bike. Dyno runs on stock FZ07s show it's down quite a bit compared to a stock 2nd gen SV. It will be hard to tell until someone does a full SS build on one. Yamaha is showing interest in the bike by offering contingency in dirt tracking. If they offer a good road racing contingency, some will buy them to chase the $$.

8. ahastings

ahastings Well-Known Member

no rr contingency. the 2015 yamaha contingency is up on their site. r1,r6, and r3

9. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  10. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Short answer: NO

11. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

How would you know? :Poke: I heard you dont even race real man bikes anymore. :D

12. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

I prefer to race girly bikes....

13. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

I tracked my FZ a couple of weeks ago. It felt great, but it definitely needs a lot of work to compete against a well-built SV.

I've already seen one race with our local club with clip-on style bars, R6 front end, Penske shock, case guards, rearsets, belly pan. It held up really well in a low-side :)

14. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I'm curious to see how clip ons would work with the big fake air scoops on the side of the tank. Doesn't look like there's much room.

15. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Good enough to crash it apparently.

16. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

I believe they had risers. I took a few photos, but they are on an old phone that I don't have access to right now.

17. mb4lunch

mb4lunch Expert#40 SouthEast

How is the gearing on the fz-07? doesn't it have a tall (overdrive) 6th gear? I think I read that somewhere?

18. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

19. ofcounsel

ofcounsel Above the Law

Initial reports from my friends who tried this AP MotoArts-built FZ-07 out is that it was pretty impressive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, after 7 years on SV's, I'm gonna take the plunge and buy one of these FZ-07's, and then have AP MotoArts build it for me.

20. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

HP? Isn't it a Inline twin?