How much does it cost to build a track?

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

No, it will be built in the meatiest part of the track. It will be a manor. It will be awesome. I'm thinking 6k sq ft with wet bar. Thoughts?

2. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

How wide will the track be at that point?

3. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

Build the house over the track. Like a Brew-Thru.

4. GECCO

GECCO Runs with scissors

Not so much to keep it dry above, but to keep it dry underneath (which keeps it smooth), the dirt work was astronomical, actually. With all the moisture you get in the area, the native soils expand and contract way too much for an F1 track.

Essentially, everywhere the track is now there was once a V shaped trench that was 10' deep. At the bottom it was the same width as the track, at the top it was twice as wide. The trench was filled with layers of rocks, lime, compacted dirt and God knows what else before the final layer of 6" of asphalt was laid on top of it all. All these layers act like a french drain to move the moisture away and provide a stable base for the asphalt.

Between all of the below ground work and the above ground infrastructure I don't have any problem believing there is over $200 million in that facility.

As to the subsidy question - there is a program in place where the city of Austin basically gives the track about $25 million over 10 years. Sort of a kickback for all the tax revenue the facility brings in via restaurants, hotels, etc. However, I seem to recall that deal was struck as part of the original agreement that was spearheaded by Schwantz. I think it was torpedoed, or at least heavily modified, when Schwantz was shown the door and the city saw the chance to back out.

5. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I thought for NOLA they brought in a bunch of dirt to raise the whole property by several feet before building anything.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope, as Gecco said, they dug down 8+ feet all the way around and then filled it in with better dirt than the swampland they dug out.

I agree that adds to the expense but that's why I can see 150 (a Barber or Miller level price tag for a nowhere near the two track) but still say no way on 275 million.

7. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I thought Gecco was referring to COTA.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's a whole different level of spending :D