4K UltraHD

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Jul 12, 2015.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

So I decided to make the jump over today from my old 60in 1080p Vizio LED to this sucker: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-m...lack/3858039.p?id=1219606085774&skuId=3858039

Did a bunch of reading around and it seems like these models are the best bang for the buck. I wasn't a big fan of it until I've started doing some comparisons with some 4K videos on Youtube that I'm streaming from my Mac. But holy crap, the level of detail and clarity is on another level. It does a decent job of upscaling lesser content as well. Now just hurry up and wait for UHD Blu-ray and PS4 to update their hardware (if needed) so I can go buy one. And some day, some day when MotoGP/WSBK/etc start broadcasting in 4K, its gonna be the shit....might take 5-10 years but oh well :crackup:

2. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

And you hit the nail on the issue.
    Why buy the 4K TV when hardly anything is broadcast in it?

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Well, Amazon and Netflix have 4K content for it (the TV has both apps so you can stream 4K video straight to the TV). There's 4K content out on Youtube and like I mentioned before it does upscale regular content too so it looks a little bit better.

But I guess I was going to get a TV anyway (old HDTV was being hand-me-down'd :) ), and the price makes it pretty attractive for a 65 incher.

4. dteal23

dteal23 Well-Known Member

Nice. Ive been eying a couple of different models for the past month lol

5. MatthewS

MatthewS Well-Known Member

I do a fair bit of production work and when shooting for ABC recently they had me acquiring footage in 720p and had me frame with a 4:3 aspect ratio in mind...I can only hope the internet takes over in terms of content delivery and cable goes the way of the dodo. Double-edged request perhaps though, but it's going to be adopted much quicker in the internet/computer market due to consumer equipment having 4K modes and the overall nimble-nature of the market. There are more gears that have to turn in the cable arena to get things in motion and it's certainly not a quick process, remember the antenna fiasco...

With all of that in mind, a 4K TV isn't terrible, just focus on the market that can get you said content if you really care. It's usually free or next to free content anyway (Netflix/YouTube).

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

7. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

4K downloaded movie? Man, you better have serious Fiber along with a strong, un-congested backbone coming to your neighborhood!

Can't imagine the size of a 4K downloaded movie. Live 4K, that would really be tough. However, I'm still amazed that I get streaming HD on a cellular connection, so who knows what's possible with compression in the future.

Just hate to see my internet come to craw cause my neighbors want to see the hair follicles on some actor's face.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

My parents just bought a giant TV and I think it's one of these. It's almost TOO real. There's so much detail and the colors are so rich that it seems fake.

9. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

When it comes to time to kill my Panasonic plasma I think I might go with something from Vizio. All the CNET reviews rank it pretty well in the bang for the buck category. I wish I had bought the last gen of the plasma's from best buy when I had the chance.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I don't like it. It hurts my brain.

11. jd96

jd96 Well-Known Member

A lot of these 4k tv's aren't even supported by netflix for UHD content. Careful what you buy.

12. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

We bought a Samsung plasma a couple years ago before they were gone. Glad we did.

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Its possible, though I didn't notice any issues with my broadband connection. As time goes on they will be developing more efficient compression coding I'm sure.

The TV comes with the Netflix app specifically for it :up:

14. jd96

jd96 Well-Known Member

Sadly that doesn't mean it supports uhd. There's a small list of supported tv's on their site. There's more than a few uhd tv's that will only do 1080 over netflix

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  15. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

I got two Panasonic Plasma - one 52 and one 47 - and love them. But I am going to have to get a new TV sometime here in the near future and prices on those Vizio sets look pretty good.

I used to kinda know where to look to find the best set per dollar ratio on the AVS forums and stuff but have not looked for like 4 years and as such am WAY out of the loop and behind.

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23881

"The below list of Vizio devices currently support Netflix in Ultra HD.

P series
    M series"

yay :clap:

(not that I didn't know that already thought :D )

17. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

is that model 4:4:4 chroma?

18. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

It can do 4k @ 60 hz, but not with chroma 4:4:4. I don't plan on using it as a computer monitor so its a non-issue for me.

19. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

4k... what we got instead of going straight to 8k because TV MFGs want to sell us two upgrades instead of one...

20. Daekwan

Daekwan Ant Gobert's fav. rider..

Ehhh broadcast programming isnt the only use for the extra resolution. Having more pixels on a bigger screen makes for an awesome computer monitor & should make any upscaled content look better than what you would get with 1080p. The other factors for buying a 4KTV now:

• They are cheap. Why buy a 1080p set.. when 4KTV's are now just a few bucks more. You can get a 50" 4K Vizio like this one for around $750 bucks at Costco: http://www.costco.com/Vizio-50"-Cla...mart-LED-LCD-TV-M50-C1.product.100212121.html
    • Newest Tech. 802.11AC wireless means much faster speeds for streaming networked content to the TV from your router. Quad/Dual core CPU's should give fast switching & navigation when using the built in 'smart' apps just like on your smartphone.
    • HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 = Futureproof connectivity. When real broadcast and/or physical media 4K content does arrive it will use these connections to playback that content.

As others have said. Make sure to shop for 4K@60hz through displayport or HDMI 2.0.. and 4:4:4 chroma if you want to use it as a computer monitor. Both of these features are important for showing clear text and smooth picture with no scrolling issues.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015