1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A truly sad day for the rock climbing community. RIP Dean Potter :(

Discussion in 'General' started by cortezmachine, May 19, 2015.

1. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

I'm a sport climber and I look at it like this.
    a 5.12 climb will have a bunch of 5.12 moves, but also a handfull of 5.10. This is solely because of the length of the climb
    a V12 boulder problem is all V12 moves, because its much shorter/compact.

I also like climbing bigger stuff more than bouldering but I see the allure and skill in the bouldering.

2. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

^this

I'd discount the being validated part, as thats in sport we do (i mean, look where we're posting). The social aspect in that you can get 10 people hanging around a single problem and everyone will have a shot at it within 15 minute is nice, and works a little better than hanging around a single pitch climb that is going to take 30 minutes for one 2 person team to climbing & clean.

3. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

Story I read had stock photo of him & his dog after a jump. I was worried I was going to read the dog was with him on his final jump.

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I get what you all are saying and it makes sense, as there were groups of people at different boulders. Looked like they were having fun, it just seemed way too serious to go up 20'. But as OSHA says, you can die from a four foot fall.

5. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Dude Whisper is a trooper. She went most places with him, even climbing. Trust me when I say she enjoyed it as much as him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, clearly she looks overjoyed in those pictures. :D

7. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Watch te video of her jump. She's perfectly calm.

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I have seen it before. I'm not saying she hated everything he made her do. I don't know the dog. I'm just saying those pictures you posted don't back you up. :D

9. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

She's calm as hell in the first two.

The third was right as she jumped off

10. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

bouldering is actually pretty fun once you figure it out. Like said before some of the very first moves on a v10 will make you shake your head as you try to figure it out.One of the hardest places we have here to boulder you literally start on your back and then have to make your way up. it takes me more time to do that 30' problem then it does to walk 100 yards and climb a 200' trad climb.
    I was actually not a fan of it, but once I started going it helped out my regular climbing as I learned new techniques that I never really tried before. If you climb, I think bouldering is just an added way to learn. , its fun to that you can have 10 people hanging out doing the same thing, you can't get that climbing regularly.

11. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I think.... Yup....

I just decided to start climbing again.

12. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Didn't you see the motorcycle?:D

13. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I love bouldering but my passion was for trad/big wall. It helped calm the storm in my heart and mind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only non "hood" tattoos have. An oldschool friend, a bolt, and a set of pitons

[​IMG]

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Really? That's your play here? You're gonna try the smartass angle? :D

15. ton

ton Arf!

it always stings when one of our little tribes loses one of its own.

i boulder/"train" at the Front once a week and if the rain ever quits, i'll be out in the canyons some evenings...
    heading to RedRocks this weekend.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  16. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Well it is too late now to do much else, would it help if I posted a photo of a couple FZR's or asked for a quote to repair my fence?

17. gripped

gripped Well-Known Member

Cortez you realize you're in one of the best cities in the US for climbing right! For trad go check out little and big cottonwood canyons, American Fork is also right outside your front door and has some great sport climbing. Little cottonwood, Joe's and Moe's valley and Triassic have some world class bouldering and are only 2 hours away! DO IT

18. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I delivered a customers vehicle in brighton Friday. I almost veered of the road a few times because I couldn't stop drooling at the walls around me!!

19. ton

ton Arf!

lone peak cirque
    [​IMG]

20. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)