Vintage tires?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by crojack, Mar 18, 2015.

1. crojack

crojack Well-Known Member

Hey,

I'll be racing an old Kawasaki Bighorn this summer. Not in Wera because you guys never come out to the Pacific NW (although you should!). But I'm hoping it's ok to ask here because this is one of the more active and knowledgeable vintage racing forums I know of.

I've done some searching and the only threads I find about older tubed/18" tires are a few years old and I'm wondering what tire is being used successfully currently.

Most guys out here run the BT39SS but it only comes in a 2.50 width and I don't think that's wide enough for the back of my bike. Guys are running them on the 160's and LWT V.

Are the Conti's still good? Dunlop? Avon?

And who sells this hoops?

Thanks for all the help!

2. southsidejack

southsidejack Well-Known Member

Buff at Todd Henning racing in Georgia sells the Conti race tires for vintage.

[email protected]

R.C, Barker sells Dunlop race rubber. http://rcbtires.com/

Heidenau tires are being used by several AHRMA racers. I can't find the name of the guy that comes to the track with these. http://heidenautires.com/

I have only used the Dunlops at the track on my 350 and have no complaints. I just purchased Conti's from Buff but don't have them on the bike yet but I know several people that use them and like them. Good luck

3. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

SSJ has things covered pretty good. :up:

I've never run the stones, except on the EX500.

Started out with Avons, then went with Dunlops....I liked the dunlops better overall, but the avons were better in the rain.

My confidence (with no tracktime yet) for the Conti's is growing. I was helping out in the pits Friday, and heavy rain.....most of the guys liked the conti's. I heard "better than dunlops in the rain".

Never tried Hidenau.

I'm probably gonna go conti's when the time comes.

4. crojack

Thanks guys, leaning toward the Conti's I think. I'll probably be the only one out there with them so if I lose I can blame it on the tires!

5. CharlieY

F that man.....just blame us!:up:

Theres a real good article online somewhere about a race build of a bighorn....its very good...

6. crojack

haha, "I knew I shouldn't have listened to those guy from back east"

I did some searching for a bighorn on here, but didn't find anything.

I've been working with the Klemm guys out of AZ. for motor work, and then scrambling to get this thing done.

If I make it through the first weekend without blowing up or falling down, I'll consider that a success!

7. CharlieY

8. cyclocrossfool

cyclocrossfool Well-Known Member

i remember Kevin Cameron doing a article/race test on one for cycle mag in the early 70's

9. crojack

Yeah that page is the Klemm guys, they seem to know their stuff, and have been a big help with any questions I've had. I found some other info about them on the google- they ran the suzuki mx team in the 70's I believe, or something like that. they certainly ported the heck out of the barrel!

I'll have to look for that Kevin Cameron article, certainly be an interesting read.

anyone in WERA race old 2-strokes that weren't meant to be road raced?

10. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Dunlop's are no more, there is a limited supply available from The Dunlop track side supplier based out of Nashville TN but that is it. They have the small 825 front and the harder compound large 145 rear, they do not have any of the mid sized 145A front/rear.

If you are going to use Conti's get them from Buff!!!!!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  11. cyclocrossfool

im getting a kaw S3 400 ready for the upcoming year. in the 70's europe there was a kaw 400 only series. but today its rare to see the 250/350/400 triple on the track. as far as taking it to a wera event? maybe, being in NJ and close to njmp we get 1-uscra, 1- ahrma and 3-ccs races. may go to SP as a wera "guest".

12. crojack

Who is Buff? Is that the email that is above?

I didn't even know Kawa made a 400 triple, looks cool.

All we get out here is our OR and WA events, have to travel to even get an AHRMA event. But I live 5 minutes from our track, so that's nice.

13. cyclocrossfool

14. crojack

very cool!

I need some rearsets like that! and a seat unit

15. cyclocrossfool

having a fiberglass tank and 3/4 fairing made for it, also a box section swing arm on order. should have it together in a week or so

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  16. CharlieY

Buff is Todd Henning Racing.....they have a Ebay store.

Which track? I used to live in Maple Valley a few minutes from SIR.

17. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

Though we don't list them on the web site we have the Continental and Avon race tires as well.

The Contis are excellent but Avon has a wider selection of sizes.

18. crojack

PIR, I'm in Portland.

I emailed Todd a couple days ago, but haven't heard back. Does it usually take a few days?

19. crojack

I wish I was that far along, and first race is April 18!! :Puke: