1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WERA / Moto America Transponder

Discussion in 'General' started by MAZZ77X, Mar 8, 2015.

1. MAZZ77X

MAZZ77X Well-Known Member

So we have to buy a transponder for Moto America and plan on racing some WERA events as well.

Moto America handbook lists quite a few transponders:

Mylaps TranX Pro W/12-V Connection (10R037)
    Mylaps TranX Pro (10R036)
    Mylaps X2 Pro (10R201)
    Mylaps X2 Pro Plus W/battery backup (10R200)

They also list the older Mylaps TranX 260 model but suggest using one of the others.
    My question is what one will work with both orgs. With Moto America it will be fixed to one bike for the entire event but with WERA we'll be jumping it from bike to bike all weekend.

Thanks, Anthony

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  2. MAZZ77X

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  3. MAZZ77X

4. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

I guess DMG must have owned the transponders of past and not the AMA... as now you have to provide your own.

I'm pretty sure the AMA put a Trans X 260 model on my bike at tech last year.

5. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Kinda off topic, but has anyone used an RFID transponder system? Our club is getting this system this year
    http://www.motosponder.com/

We like the idea of putting a sticker on your helmet and not a transponder on the bike. We have LOTS of riders that share bikes or ride multiple bikes. The idea of the sticker being on your helmet and following you bike to bike is really cool.

6. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

The RFID transponder system was discussed here in the past.

Some say its not a proven system for the speeds we carry.

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Our local trackday org tried it out for their race series. It turned out to be a bit of a flop and never seemed to work properly/accurately.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

TranX 260 is cheaper, you can still buy one outright instead of the leasing deal but they do offer leasing on it, I don't think you can renew it once it's dead though unlike the new setup where you can reload their key. The new ones will eventually do cool stuff with dashboards also but I have no details yet. Either one will work for both WERA and MotoAmerica. The orrange and yellow that are for slower vehicles will not work with either of us.

RFID is just way too inaccurate for scoring for us. Cheap is good yeah but in scoring systems you absolutely get what you pay for.

9. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Well, keep in mind that we are racing minis on a kart track too. We don't have bikes doing anywhere near the speeds that Wera does.

10. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Agreed.

I'm jinxing it, but our AMB's are going on 11 years..

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've got a dozen of our initial batch from the Endurance days that need batteries, I think some of those are still in the rental fleet too.

12. KWyman133

KWyman133 Well-Known Member

I just got off the phone with Niccole. And I am canceling my order of X2 transponders because I was informed that you do not have to have those. The same rechargeable transponders that we all know and love are valid for the series. FYI

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, AMB is of course pushing sales of the new ones but the back end of the system is the same for both.

14. BEi Racing

BEi Racing Well-Known Member

That's one of the main reasons we're not doing CCS Team Challenge this year . Their transponders suck and they frequently have issues. It screwed us out of a overall win a couple of years ago, and I haven't been back since. I asked them about upgrading and got the run around....almost like dealing with you Mongo! :D

15. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Agreed on their timing system. Not sure why they haven't gotten something proper by now.

16. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

^The blue and or green ones have issues? I've had the same one for a few years and it's never failed to register a lap time.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Before I forget - AMA Members get a discount on the TranX 260 transponder through AMB. I'll try and find out the amount and details.

18. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

Good to know

19. MAZZ77X

Three years and thousands of laps, not one missed....;)

I also mount it low and unobstructed on the lower fork leg.:beer:
    Gotta a feeling they'll be switching to the AMB soon though....

Any word on the AMA member discount Mongo?

:Pop:

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Depends on where you're running which system CCS is using. LRRS for example uses the same AMB one we do. I've also heard fewer complaints about the other one they use with sprint racing than endurance but still hear them.

Anyway, AMA member discount is 20% off retail. If you log into the members portion of the AMA site you can find the code under discount codes and then scroll down to MyLaps.

To all - don't post the code here, I'll delete it and you. If you've got an AMA Membership great, go for it, if not then get one. It's great for a number of things including that discount as well as some other stuff that works out for racers. To the point where we'll be having a link to sign up through WERA and we'll probably do an affiliation next season. The benefits for our members and for our sport are worth it.