1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli Bounty Program

Discussion in 'General' started by PirelliTireGuy, Feb 27, 2015.

1. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

Wait, when did that happen?

Also, good for Pirelli. Something is always better than nothing, and good press never hurts. People always complain about the level of support we get at the club level, and when someone does something they get crapped on. Amazing.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Did they pay Niccolo Canepa $500 when he recently broke the Jennings track record. He was on Pirelli's right? Does WSBK spec count?

3. :crackup:

Give it time. I'm sure he gets Notifications anytime the "M" word pops up online. :D

4. swiest152

swiest152 Zoran's headache

He's too busy posting it on Facebook. It's hard work but he'll catch up.

5. He is probably still in a boner-induced coma from Michelin being named the new MotoGP tire. :D

6. ped

ped Banned

now, now there's no spec pirelli

7. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Psh. It was a WSBK track day. Doesn't count.

8. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

I'm late to the party.. was dodging trees all afternoon on a dirt bike. It has michein tires on it too :)

I personally think this is awesome. And as 99% of folks would say, who cares if the fast guys setting the records (if more do get set this year) get some free tires. This is $500 MORE .. as in.. on top of whatever they were getting already. We need more stuff like this, so various tire mfgs. can consider actually doing more stuff (like this) to entice riders. Michelin, in my humble opinion, is a little behind in this department, hoping they sell tires on just a good product and customer service. I'm not sure that is going to cut it in this day and age. Racers want "more".

Eddie. Larry Denning raced Michelin too. He liked some wicked hard compound front. Ron wood called it "Larry's brick".. LOL

LOL.. stay classy Chris.. :) good one though.. ;) I'm working on a good come back for when you least expect it.

gonna roost you with the Duc later Sam ..

9. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Sure Greg. My point was at the time, it didn't matter that I was a new racer and wouldn't win contingency. I saw a guy winning races on a certain brand of tires and that played a part in me trying them (along with other variables of course). Point being, you see people winning races on X brand, that helps sales.

On a side note, Larry helped me years ago, doing a few laps when I was struggling in my first year on a 600. He came in after those laps and politely said, "Does the shock work?" :)

10. MELK-MAN

agreed. it's not just about contingency (although it doesn't hurt).. at the end of the day, potential buyers wanna see that they can go fast on em. Even if they are not at the level of said rider. And there are wicked fast riders on pirelli for sure.

And indeed. Larry was a pretty cool dude.

11. swiest152

So you're saying we're both gonna be playing in the dirt at Roebling? :crackup:

12. MELK-MAN

nothing is out of the realm of possibility ! :)

13. swiest152

Which slick is better in the rough?

Can we wait till after the TC to find out?

14. MELK-MAN

no matter.. as they say, when in doubt - just pin it. It will end the suspense. :)

15. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I couldn't agree with you more. This is racing, not track days, and winners deserve a prize. I can't imagine running at the tip of the spear of a national series and not getting a damn thing after spending thousands of dollars on one brand of tires. Michelin had an awesome contingency and I did benefit from it as a novice. I don't ever see something like that coming back but they could at least come up with bib bucks again at a smaller level. The fact that M and P don't have contingency is total horse shit. I'm sure they could offer certificates for one race a weekend for a 1000 race, a 600 race, and LW race.
    For me, nothing doesn't cut it.
    Yes it's good that Pirelli came up with something but instead of doing the bounty thing for track records, they should have put the 5 grand toward contingency. Maybe end of season championship bonus for a few classes, or even dump it all in for the Daytona 200.

16. MELK-MAN

we can't ever count out great customer service that the various trackside vendors offer, bending over backwards representing all the brands. Many customers switch tires like socks. So customer retention is always a battle.

the things i have heard trickle down (total hearsay by the way) from both M and P, was the fact that they kept tire costs down vs. instituting a contingency program. well, i hear every race weekend from some riders, even those that have a slim to none chance of earning any, that contingency is part of the reason they chose brand dunlop or b-stones.

This "bounty" from pirelli is not much, but it's something. I am hoping that Michelin has something cool cooked up for the may 2015 release of it's new tires.. you can rest assured that you will hear it from me if it's worthwhile :)

17. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I have no idea what the numbers are but I'm a bit skeptical about that claim. Obviously they have higher expenses than US Dunlops because they are made overseas but Bstones are made in Japan and the prices are in line with Michelin and Pirelli

18. GavinElstad

GavinElstad Gavin59

Exactly Chris, they won't switch because of that, they will switch though because it's a better tire, the one that can set a track record, I was the first person since I think trey batey to win the 600 superstock championship on pirellis, and I think the reason for that is that they don't pay out like the others. So maybe this is there way of offering back. :)

19. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I appreciate the customer service of the trackside vendors. It's not an easy gig for sure, and I'm sure the trackside vendors of M and P would be ecstatic if their brand of tires started up a contingency program. So, what would it take for M and P to start a contingency program? Good question. I can tell you that I won't buy a tire that doesn't offer a program. So what would happen if all racers that weren't on a support program did the same thing?

20. Me too.

If their tires were $150 a set cheaper than D and B, I would get it. But they aren't. All of the "big 4" cost about the same.

It doesn't make sense for them to say "we don't offer contingency, instead we lower the prices so everyone benefits"........when their tires cost just as much, if not more than the brands that DO offer contingency.