New R1 is Down on Power

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Dec 8, 2014.

1. I don't like it when people say "stock for stock" because often times some bikes are at a huge disadvantage due to restrictions built into the ECU.

Personally, instead of stock vs stock, I'd rather see "equally unrestricted" so we know what the motor actually makes and know what we could be gridding up with without going into the motor. Give all of them an ECU reflash and slip-on if needed, then let me know the results.

And yes, the BMW, ZX10 and Panigale can put over 190hp to the wheel with nothing but an ECU reflash, a slip-on and a good tune. I've personally seen Livengood's dyno chart where he got 193hp out of a Panigale (1199) on pump gas (stock motor).

That is why you ONLY see those 3 bikes up front in World Superstock. Not sometimes, always...because they are the only bikes (up until now at least) that can put that kind of power down with a stock motor.

You never, ever see a Suzuki, Honda, KTM, Yamaha or even an Aprilia running up front in WSTK. They are simply too heavy and too weak.

2. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

Bang on. But if you reflash them all and give them all the same slip on. same bikes are still way ahead on power

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Blah blah blah. Who's got Westby's lap times. Spill it. :D

4. racing+life

racing+life Well-Known Member

Who says power isn't as important ;)

5. Yep.

The ECU reflash and slip-on gets rid of the emissions and puts the bikes on equal terms. And even then, the 3 aforementioned bikes are typically 15-25hp stronger.

6. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Kevin Ceasers 2012 BMW 1000 racebike with a slip on, ethanol pump gas with PCV put out 200.26 on Livengoods dyno with Brian tuning it. It was a fast bike and Kevin did quite well on it last year.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  7. osuyzfr1

osuyzfr1 Well-Known Member

Hmmm... My bike put out 160 on Mark Junge's dyno. I battled at the gnf with Kevin and wouldn't think I was giving up 40hp.

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

193 at the tire?? That thing should trap ~160mph on a "soft" pass at the drag strip.

9. ljuice26

ljuice26 Well-Known Member

Was that SAE HP or Standard? We could be comparing apples and oranges.

10. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

If you're comparing two different dynos you're already comparing apples to oranges

11. lonewrench

lonewrench Mr.Charles

Westby got a few fast times in mid 15's but, there was no effort made to turn fast laps considering he had never sat on or seen the bike until Friday night. As far as the HP goes it's a lot and it aint 160-170 either. Buy one and find out, I promise you won't be disappointed.

12. lonewrench

lonewrench Mr.Charles

TRUE. Livengood does all the tuning and engine building for Yamalube/Westby Racing, he has since 2014.

13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:up:

14. roy826ex

Kevin doesn't like barber and really barbers not a place he could use the HP. Now Road Atlanta his favorite track his bike was super fast there. I heard several guys moaning about his power advantage on the back straight.

Kevin gave it up after last year and sold the bike. He came back for one year to hang out with me because we go back a long time racing together back 2001-2004. He told me he wanted to comeback with a nice bike something he'd never had back then and win some stuff then hang it up. I respect him for that and we talk weekly via text. :)

15. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

With Mark's dyno, you would add 18% to get a "Dynojet" number. Still apples to oranges obviously.

16. osuyzfr1

I'm not trying to bash. It was fast but it didn't pull me down the straights like I would think 200hp would. Those are short straights also. We were pretty much even.

I've only been to barber twice so I don't really know the track that well either.

17. osuyzfr1

Yea, 160 was the "dynojet" number unfortunately :)

18. roy826ex

Understood, Kevin was way faster than he showed last year. He left racing way back when an Expert but Wera brought him back as a Novice which he was totally okay with. He always told me he had nothing to prove at this point just wanted to be part of the show one more time on a nice bike.

He's on a FZ07 streetbike with a Livengood tune on it now terrorizing the N GA mountains when he can. :D

19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

20. helicopter99

helicopter99 Well-Known Member

Mine was putting out 165 on same dyno. They are different dynos, old vs. newer. Put the Livengood 200hp BMW on Junges dyno and It aint gettin anywhere near 200hp. It's all relative as long as you keep using the same dyno for tuning.