1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMA/MOTOAMERICA Entry Level Class, KTM Cup

Discussion in 'General' started by SCHMITTY91, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What rules do you want? Buy cup bike, don't change anything on cup bike, ride cup bike. :D

2. MAZZ77X

MAZZ77X Well-Known Member

Actually there's a lot of unanswered items that should be in the rule book and out by now.....

How many races per weekend, laps, qualifying cutoff, how many practice/qualifying sessions, suspension modifications allowed, gearing, tires and allotment, livery, brakes, tech, fees, etc.

So far this class is unlike anything currently being run so speculation is running ramped. Show up and ride is not good enough for me, I need to know every little detail!:beer::beer:

3. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

First race is in June so time is a-wastin'!

4. MAZZ77X

I'm sensing sarcasm here^^^

June now..... Go figure.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  5. MAZZ77X

Will there be a no riding scheduled tracks 30 days prior rule for the RC Cup class? :up:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  6. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

including open track days?

7. MAZZ77X

I should have clarified better.....

No riding a scheduled Moto America Race Track by competitions 30 days prior to the AMA event.

Rule was in place with exceptions in the past, wondering if it will apply to RC Cup.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Is that rule in place for any of the classes right now?

9. MAZZ77X

I'd really like to know. Could impact our schedule severely if so. One of the many questions.....:rolleyes:

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Got a bike yet?

11. MAZZ77X

We have a few bikes just no KTM 390. Our dealer says KTM has yet to open North Americas RC 390 ordering. Seems we should be testing by now.......:beer:

12. MAZZ77X

Sporting rules will be released shortly, the following is an excerpt defining MotoAmerica testing regulations:

Practice or testing may not take place on any of the tracks in the current year championship from thirty days prior to the first day of the first event, until the last day of the last race with the following exceptions:

Official practice sessions organized by MotoAmerica.
    Participation in any other racing event, but not within 30 days of a MotoAmerica event at the same circuit.
    Wild cards and one event riders.
    Any activity allowed by the Race Direction.
    Teams may apply for exceptions in writing to MotoAmerica, and the test must be open to all persons with a current license.
    Exceptions to this rule may be granted, with the approval of the MotoAmerica Permanent Bureau, due to reasons of force majeure. For example, where a team recruits a qualified rider to replace an injured rider, the qualified rider could possibly have practiced unwittingly at a circuit included in the Championships

Copyright © 2015 MotoAmerica, All rights reser

13. MAZZ77X

Also found tire allotment for RC Cup is 2 Fronts and 2 Rears per race weekend.
    That seems fitting to a 1 race per weekend format to me.

Understanding that these bikes will consume less rubber it still seems fitting to have a new set for final qualifying and a new set for each race no.......

I hope my assumptions are wrong though... ugh :confused:

14. ped

ped Banned

dont most people run one set all year on 250's tho?

15. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

No

16. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Depending on the track surface, we sometimes only made one weekend on a set on the MD250. I imagine the ktm will be similar. We were racing in multiple classes, though.

17. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Little Mazz isn't most people. The kid rips and will no doubt get the most out of fresh tires. Also, I have only seen the Alpha 13 tires at the WERA GNF. Big D had them on a racer's bike collecting some data. Nobody really knows how they are and how they will last.

18. MAZZ77X

It's not the rears that go offing these type of little bikes (Not to be confused with a real GP Chassis bike) it's the fronts.

At the "Pro" level, fresh tires for Qualifing and each Race is a nessessity not a "We can get away with this set" type of thing. :beer:

19. MAZZ77X

Thanks Mike for the kind words:up: We realy wish Xavier was a few years younger, they make for some great racing together.

Sean Kelly ran them at the GNF I think and had great reviews before he was Dunlop sponsored. I'm hoping he was on them this past weekend at Homestead and can offer somemore insight.

20. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

I'm understanding most weekends are double headers. 2 fronts and 2 rears will slow the pace a little (maybe) but I dont think it will put riders on the ground. They are street tires. 30 laps a day on a 38 hp bike isnt going to smoke them. We ran 3 trackdays and 2 race weekends on 1 set of 003's on the 250 regularly. Pace never really changed we just swapped them at that point because they were cheap.