1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VMD

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by ravedoper, Dec 17, 2014.

1. ravedoper

ravedoper Well-Known Member

I see the AMA just announced dates for VMD: 10-12 July, the same dates as AHRMA NJMP. What were they thinking? I was hoping that, since MotoAmerica doesn't have a Superbike race there, Mid-O's schedule would be open enough to avoid this conflict. Is there some compelling reason for this date that we don't know about?

2. duck62

duck62 V7 Scooter

VMD is the better event anyway isn't it? Maybe AHRMA should reschedule?

3. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Didn't they conflict in 2014 too?.....geesh, I guess the hate still runs deep. I wish it didn't tho. It is detrimental overall.

4. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Agreed, and it seemed to me that the participation on the vintage side was down quite a bit last year.

5. CharlieY

I don't know any numbers for either. I have friends that went to Ohio. I haven't spoken with anyone that went to NJ.

I didn't pay much attention to the details because I wasn't in the mix for either....but it would be a tough choice....I've never run either track.

It sure would be nice to NOT ONLY not have to choose, but nice to run BOTH as well.

I'm with Dave in asking.....why?

6. ravedoper

AHRMA announced their schedule almost two months ago on 25 Oct.
    My understanding is that last year AHRMA made a point of not scheduling their event the same weekend. But then, it was pointed out to the AMA that they had scheduled their DMG Superbike race the same weekend as the World Superbike event at Laguna Seca. So, the AMA switched their Superbike date with the VMD date to avoid that conflict, but creating a new conflict with AHRMA NJMP. Mongo said that he pointed this out to the AMA, presumably to avoid it happening in the future: http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=312919&highlight=VMD

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think it's more to do with Mid-Ohio. If MotoAmerica didn't take the weekend they had last year and someone else did then the date may not be open for VMD. That is the most likely scenario.

I did discuss it when we were in Columbus last week but the AMA couldn't do anything about it. I am going to ask Mid-Ohio too but no clue on what the response will be. I know it's in everyones best interest to not have the events on top of each other but I also know what a bitch it is scheduling.

8. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

So will WERA be on the 13/14 - Monday and Tuesday?

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No clue yet.

10. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Ok thanks :up:

11. ravedoper

One would have thought that the AMA would have known as soon as anyone that MotoAmerica wasn't taking the Mid-Ohio date and could have jumped on it for VMD. Are they not paying attention or do the roadraces represent such a small portion of the activity at VMD that the date preference of vendors and sponsors trumps a conflict with another vintage RR a little over 8 hrs/500 mi. away?

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think a little of all of that along with all of the work they've been doing with the MotoAmerica people to get that up and running. Been a truly hectic "off season" up there.

13. slower than u

slower than u Well-Known Member

I thought there was a pretty good turn out for the NJMP round w/AHRMA.The Thruxton turn out was low ( only me ) ,but, the other classes were pretty full. No where near max ,but ,it was a good mix -Probably 100/125 venders , good spectator turn out.I was hoping they would get the schedule fixed this year ,but, what can ya do ? :beer:

14. Big Bob

Big Bob The Heavy in Heavyweight

AHRMA NJMP had about 174 entries for each day. About 40 of them modern
    bikes, the rest vintage.

Using the same definitions for "modern" (by "modern" I mean stuff from
    about the last ten years or so) and "vintage" AMA has about 68 vintage
    entries per day. And about 65 modern.

Those numbers are stuff I pulled off results I found on the internet back in July.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I remember a lot more than 3 older than 10 years bikes at VMD but overall yes, there were a lot of the more recent machines and twins.

16. joec

joec brace yourself

hey Bob! hope you and the chivin people doing well!

17. CharlieY

Thanx Bob.....looks like quite the vintage party in NJ!

18. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

I think he meant 133 entries, 68 were vintage and 65 were modern. Nice balance.

19. Hate McDead

Hate McDead Well-Known Member

It truly sucks that there is this scheduling confict AGAIN. Last year there was a scheduling conflict with AHRMA and the USCRA as well as the VMD. They resolved this problem this year by working together to avoid another scheduling overlap issue. It was very apparent last year at the AMA VMD that the event lost many entrants to the AHRMA New Jersey round. I had assumed that the powers that be (AMA & WERA) would have worked together to set up a clean date on the calender that didn't conflict AGAIN. It is a crying shame for all the competitors that this didn't happen. It is especially disappointing for vintage racer since we only have a limited number of quality events without having to choose one over the other.
    I have enjoyed racing with WERA for over 20 years and have committed to make it to their Mid-O round since they took over. I had hoped that the event would grow as more racers dispelled the old AMA/AHRMA conflict. And two years ago, this was a growing vintage event of racers from other associations. But this latest AMA doofus scheduling misque simply assures that VMD will continue to suffer poor grids again with both USCRA and AHRMA racers going to New Jersey. None the less, I'll make every effort to attend this WERA round with a bountiful supply of Detroit's best craft beers to share with my fellow racers. And even though Mongo is on my poop list, I'll probably give him a bottle or two or three or..........

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah makes sense, thought about it more and remembered a lot more than 65-70 entires too :D