1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Livin' the dream--what did kid you want to be and how close did you hit?

Discussion in 'General' started by trancework, Dec 2, 2014.

1. trancework

trancework It's always now...

Dayamn, Fight Attendants bring you coffee while you piss? Pimp cup tipped in your direction--definition of baller, yo! :crackup:

2. trancework

trancework It's always now...

Thank you for your service. That's ridiculously badass, sorry about the ill health effects.

You have to know that, most likely, everyone here has wanted to be you at some point--if nothing else, when either TopGun or HotShots came out. Have you ever fried an egg on a stomach? :up:

3. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

as a kid: meteorologist. i always liked weather and science and those cool ass infared NOAA pictures of hurricanes. or Doc Holliday. or Thomas Crown.

now: for money... senior financial analyst and part time poker whiz. for fun: DH mountain bikes and motorcycles and whatever else can get me into trouble. didn't even come close. i took physics in college as my science and aced it. dunno why i totally didn't consider a science field though now that i think abou tit. money and how economics works was also interesting to me though, so i can't really complain. i still dunno what i really wanna be. i'd like to get a PhD sometimes and do hardcore research... but the thought of those loans really discourages me. state park trail builder? johnny appleseed? a wandering nomad? since i failed to get TB... doc holliday is out. i don't really wanna be a workaholic and i'm not a billionaire so thomas crown is also out. who the hell even knows... i just wanna be free to do whatever on a whim.

4. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

Then: We traveled to Daytona every year for the 200 and then the ROC when that started. Around 12 years old, we were driving across a big bridge in Jacksonville, Fl. I saw these weird looking planes with a boom sticking out of the back of it. I asked my father what they were, and he said that he thought they were P-3 Orion's, anti-submarine aircraft. I looked around the area as we were driving across the bridge and said to my parents, "Some day I am going to live here and I will be flying those airplanes." At 23 I received orders to VP-49 at NAS Jacksonville to fly those very same P-3's. Flew them for 17 years of my 22 year career, over 6,000 total flight hours.

Race team owner of an a Grand Prix race team. (F1, Superbike, Le Mans, etc, etc) I wasn't picky, just something.

Now: Entrepreneur, Business Development, Program/Project Manager. Just finished up a project for the Navy that had me in Pax River, MD and Jacksonville, FL working with P-3's, P-8's and another program office. Currently trying to figure what I want to be when I grow up.

Haven't raced since 2007, but I would still love to manage/own a team on the national/world levels.

5. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Growing up I wanted to race cars. My father was heavily involved in racing with Porsche (endurance, Can-Am) in the 70's and was employed with the company for nearly 40 years. I was around loud, fast cars and racetracks all my life and couldn't see myself doing anything else.

Fast forward.......met the girl of my dreams in high-school, went to college, got a really good job in corporate finance and had two little ones whom are by far the most challenging thing I could imagine.

I have really fun hobbies, our families are pretty much all here in FL, and my best friend just happens to be my wife........we are having a hell of a time.

6. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

He's failing to mention that they're either "fun boys" or 60 year old grannies. We do get free peanuts, though :)

7. socal

socal Well-Known Member

Kid: lawyer
    Adult: Wall Street

8. Zephyr

Zephyr Tank Killer

Kid: Automotive company founder (when I was 12 or so I'd look out the window and draw pictures of the oldsmobile clunker in the driveway, thought those boring body lines from the '80's were so cool), Fighter pilot (go figure, according to this thread lol) or Professional racer in any form of motorsport.

Now: Roll form tube mill operator/welder working some of the worst hours imaginable. Currently studying to be an engineer. Only 5 more years to go 'till the associates degree! :rolleyes: I'd almost rather be a CAD monkey making less than I do now.

9. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

True story

10. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Kid: Fighter Pilot/Evil Kneivel/Steve McQueen
    Adult: Electrical Engineer and not even a cool one

11. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Kid: Race car driver

Adult: Ran a bike shop for 7yrs. Closing that as of tomorrow to start a new career at GE. At least I get to race motorcycles still.

12. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

:up:Good Luck Tuna.

13. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

That's tits son! Congrats! What will you be doing?

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

Congrats!

where do you fit on the org chart?

[​IMG] :D

15. Steverin06

Steverin06 Well-Known Member

Where are you flying Eagles? Vampire bat here

-Scooba

16. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Dream of being a Civil/Structural Engineer.

Degree in Ocean Engineering specializing in offshore structures.
    MS studies (thesis defense pending) - Civil Engineering - Offshore Specialization.

Actual Experience - Geotechnical/Geophysical Engineer, Deep Foundations (Bridges and Hi-rise buildings).
    Pipelines: Route Engineer, Environmental Lead, Safety Manager, HDD Designer (trenchless), Project Manager, currently Project Controls Lead.

I don't know about nailing it, but definitely hitting as many fields as I can.:D

17. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Dream: Retire early and spend a ton of time with family.

Reality: On track so far. Hope to sustainably be financially independent by 45.

18. migkilr

migkilr Tool

Flew Eagles at Mtn Home and Eglin. About to retire in a little over two years and flying the KC-135 now at Edwards. If you're ever there stop by and say hi. I'm the guy with moto pics all over my office. Vampire bat as in Kadena? Know Retz?

-Manson

19. Steverin06

Steverin06 Well-Known Member

I bet Mtn. Home was one hell of a good assignment! Yep I know Retz, he's doing great things for the Cocks. Did you know Cliff, Nastee, Focke, Skosh, or Skid? They're all still at it over here.

Finalizing block 45? We just received 120Ds, and up to receive talon hate and sniper pods next year.

20. migkilr

migkilr Tool

Block 45 has some issues, but yeah getting it finished up. Gotta admit, I dig flying the tanker since I'm old and everything hurts. 120Ds, wow would love to see the WEZ on that, gotta get to a sim! Same squadron as Skid at the Academy and was with him at Eglin.