1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

almost killed

Discussion in 'General' started by gixer1100, Dec 9, 2014.

1. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

or certainly badly injured. 10min ago as I was doing about 50mph a car coming towards me turned left right in front of me. I had to quickly throw the bike to the left and missed her rear end by maybe an inch (and then throw the bike back right to avoid going into oncoming traffic). this all happened very very quickly and is the closest BY FAR I have come to getting in an accident in 20 years on the street. I can honestly say that I only survived that because of the skills is learned racing and the amount of seat time I have. I didn't even have time to touch the brake. I always say racing makes you a much better rider, I am pretty sure I am now living proof of that theory. I am still shaking from it.

2. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

3. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

One of the many reasons I rarely ride on the street. You're a better man than me, I'd have chased her down and let her know she almost committed vehicular homicide.

Glad you made it out ok

4. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I asked a firefighter that has worked many crashes and asked him why so many cars turn left in front of motorcycles and he says the number one answer he hears is that they thought the bikes headlight was a car headlight and much further away. I guess they blend in with the headlights of other cars.

5. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

I have not ridden a street bike since the my first race lap. This is why.

Glad you are not a RIP thread dude.

6. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

You did it wrong. You were supposed to lay it down to keep from crashing.

Glad you're ok dude.

7. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Glad you're OK. All the idiots on the road took the fun out of street riding for me years ago. I don't do it anymore.

8. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

oh I did! hopefully the vision of me flipping on her will have her looking twice the next time she turns, and maybe save a life.

9. trancework

trancework It's always now...

Thank goodness you weren't hurt! Had this same thing happen on the HP2 enduro at dusk coming back home a few months ago. Let the smoke out of both Metzler Karoos, suspension compression felt like a jarred elevator ride.

Did you go confront the guy afterward? Mine was some old dude--"Din't see you--shouldn't let them on the street..." or some b.s. Keep riding smart and safe!

10. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

No doubt. I tell regular riders all the time to get to the track to enhance their skills, and 'fast' riders to go racing to enhance them even more. There's no question track time and racing build a rider's skills, reflexes, confidence and overall ability to survive.

Well, that and always treat every vehicle on a public road like it's out to get you. Because the average motorist nowadays is beyond dumb and distracted.

Glad you're okay.

11. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I drive my truck like everyone else on the road is "Calgary's worst driver". If you haven't seen the video just google it. This is the crap we have to drive with up here.

12. vince224

vince224 Well-Known Member

saw a bike spinning on its side, sliding across 6 lanes on the 880 today in SJC. just another day on the lovely CA fwys.

didnt see what precipitated things, but had a vision of a nice, big diesel slick at the metering lights from the on ramp in my head.... those are always fun.

glad you're OK!

vince
    :D

13. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Glad that you are not a splatter on the pavement. But I have to disagree. I really don't see how most of racing makes you any safer on the street. Yes, on track you explore brake markers, and push things closer to the limit... but....

Street riding, to me, is more about being aware of your surroundings, being defensive, scanning your mirrors... all that good stuff. None of which is relevant on the track.

Very different riding styles, different objectives.

I enjoy both, but there is a line to be drawn between the two riding environments, and not all acquired skills cary over visa versa.

14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I'll bet the butt pucker factor was at 10!
    Glad it all turned out ok, I've been in two street crashes, neither my fault. One of the worst feelings I've had was sitting at a stoplight and hearing screeching tires behind me, got rear ended, totaled my new bike, and two totaled cars. I didn't ride for 14 years after that.

15. slowzx6

slowzx6 Well-Known Member

Had something similar happen a few years ago. It was crazy because it seemed to happen in slow motion. Glad ya didn't get hit.

16. HenryZX6R

HenryZX6R Well-Known Member

I wasn't so lucky on the 6th on Nov. Lady turned left, I couldn't quite get around the car. She's at fault

Split my pelvis in half, concussion, broken right foot, broken right hand/wrist, open compound fractures of both bones in both forearms, 2 of the bones in to more than 4 pieces. Just got out of the hospital/inpatient rehab a week ago :/

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  17. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Amazing, I had the exact same thing happen to me except on a back country road. The pickup driver was a 70 YO guy who was loaded after a trip to the local bars and he was turning into his driveway. After I got stopped I stripped off my helmet and started to chase him down as he staggered to his front door. I was about 10 steps away from decking the jerk...he never even knew I was behind him, when I figured out I was about to be arrested for attacking a guy for no discernible reason....I just walked away. He never had a clue.

18. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

Welcome to my morning commute. After a while you can predict what the idtios are going to do and be ready for it. No one can see you, those that can don't give a shit and all the others want you dead or really need to finish that text.

Glad you survived it, learn something from it and live to ride another day.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  19. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this, sounds intense. I hope you heal up quick.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I could see being much more comfortable with the absolute limits of bikes/tires helping out a lot but overall you're right, the street skills to survive are pretty different.