AMA/MOTOAMERICA Entry Level Class, KTM Cup

Discussion in 'General' started by SCHMITTY91, Nov 13, 2014.

1. It would be cool to race a Grom, 390, R6 and R1 all in the same day.

2. Haha, good point. :D

3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Epic whoosh

4. Kyle when you gonna get you one and come play with me? :D

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

This. :beer:

6. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Ya'll grommets have your own special thread. Don't be infiltrating this one with your silly little bikes.:D

7. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

I would love to see a dyno at the track for post race runs. It rules out most of the post race whining by the competition.

8. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

That's just the Sharpie pen you left in your pocket. Stop bragging.

9. KWyman133

KWyman133 Well-Known Member

Man they look like so much fun... these KTM's do as well.

I wonder what other stipulations there will be in the eligibility rules other than age. Maybe JU knows.

For instance:
    Can a prior Supersport kid go down and race the KTM? Can he also race 600 STK on the same weekend if he's in the RC Cup?

10. None of that shit matters.

What matters is the Grom.

Do it. :D

No, for serious, do it...

11. Chip

Chip Registered

XR100 > Grom :Poke:

12. I have an XR100 too.

But i like racing against other Groms, on a Grom.

If i was racing against XR100's, then i would agree with you. :moon:

13. Chip

Chip Registered

I like racing against Grom's on my XR100....because XR100 > Grom :D

14. Kordyte

Kordyte Active Member

They should ESPECIALLY run the RC390 cup races at Indy/COTA. Those rounds are supposed to be 'support races only' and I think they will/should do the RC390 races and NOT the 600/1000 races there. Point being is to give them an opportunity to show their skills and meet in person the European teams. With the pattern of recent MotoGP champions being the way it is, what we need is a young (14-16 y/o) RC390 Cup standout frontrunner to get selected by a European Moto3 team for a ride. THAT's when we'll see the next American GP champion.

I'm 25, a newer racer, and would LOVE to race the 390 cup. But I don't wish they removed the age restriction. To be honest, I just wish I was 10 years younger :up:

My personal fun and glory isn't as important as developing talent for the next generation.
    I can have enough fun and glory in club racing, and maybe a 600SSTK privateer career if I'm good enough and willing to shell out the $ out of my own pocket.

15. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

We need a few more Kordytes around here for balance...

......nah

16. FD3SA

FD3SA Member

Agreed with everything you've stated. What matters most is that young kids get excited about and can afford to race in this class.

In terms of importance, here's where I'd rank the priorities for an entry class:

1. Spec machines, sealed engines

2. Lowest total amortized running cost over a race season at race pace

3. Performance (Power to weight ratio)

The KTM 390 Cup seems to have hit #1 right on the nose. Numbers 2 is unknown and 3 is a bit lacking, but this is absolutely the right direction. No more Cold War arms races between broke amateurs for an extra 5hp. Instead, the focus is on riding.

I want to get my hands on a maintenance schedule with a parts list for these bikes to compare running costs with the RS125 and MD250. They're purpose built for road racing which means they won't blow up like dirt motors. But the maintenance schedule will reveal all.

Cheers, and good on MotoAmerica for realizing that we need a national rookie class before we throw 12 year-olds onto 600s. In my ideal world, no kid would move up to 600s till they were top 5 in a Moto3 class. But that would mean having affordable Moto3 classes locally and nationally, which is still very much a work in progress.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  17. smokinsingle

smokinsingle Member

Didn't they apply an age limit the early seasons of DMG Supersport? I assume if the they don't fill the grid well enough (doubtful) the age limit would be modified.

18. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

I believe the spec class is setup to be an "affordable" option. If it is indeed affordable to run, they shouldn't have any issues filling the grid. I also think MotoAmerica's thinking is quite a bit different than DMG, whose primary objective was to make money. I'm sure MotoAmerica wants to turn a profit, but they also want to develop young racers..

I really doubt they will have any issues filling a grid, especially with a 14-22 age limit.

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Am I looking at the frame on this bike correctly? It looks like the subframe and frame are welded together, not bolted. What happens when you bend the crap out of a subframe in a crash (common)? Do you cut it off and re-weld a new subframe on? Do you junk the whole thing?

[​IMG]