1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which riding school

Discussion in 'General' started by RedReplicant, Nov 12, 2014.

1. RedReplicant

RedReplicant Well-Known Member

I've been riding for eight years and done eight trackdays, 6 of which have been in the past year. Thing have started coming together for me a little bit, especially in the past two trackdays since moving from a GSXR750 to a Duc 749.

In March I had a lowside that ended in a concussion after dipping into the front brake too much while trailbraking and running up on someone a lot quicker than I'd planned (T1 at AMP). Last week I had a lowside that I'm assuming came from overloading the front in a right to left transition (14b at AMP).

Two crashes in a span of six months after never having a crash before is starting to make me think a little bit and I'd like to take a riding school... and give racing a try next year. I'm in Arizona and I don't mind going to California or a neighboring state. What sayeth the beeb for affordable schools for someone slow but wanting to get into racing soon? :)

2. tunawest

tunawest Well-Known Member

dunno if he is still doing it or not, but the peris school at Inde is pretty awesome. I attended their very first one and had a blast. It was not cheap but I learned a lot and had a ton of fun.

3. Chip

Chip Registered

Yamaha Champions Riding School is moving to Tuscan for the winter. It ain't cheap by any measure, but they have an extremely well thought out and tested program/curriculum.

4. RedReplicant

I may try and reallocate funds to make this happen since I didn't realize they are down in Tucson right now. I'm up in Phoenix so that's closer than anything else will be by a long shot.

The prices on the website seem very reasonable but there have been no updates on the site / facebook since June or so. I'll give the number a call though. :)

5. dammyneckhurts

dammyneckhurts Well-Known Member

Yamaha Champions School is very very good.:up:

6. KWyman133

KWyman133 Well-Known Member

Chris Peris is now heavily involved with Yamaha Champions Riding School, and we do have our winter schedule together set to run at Inde.

The December schools are completely sold out already, but we have actually just finalized our January dates - January 22-23, 2015 (Thurs/Fri)

In regards to your crash - it may sound odd at first, but it's very possible that the front tire was underloaded. We talk a lot about contact patch, trail-braking and body position and how all of these variables manage front grip in different circumstances.

Like Chip mentioned... at $2395, we are not a cheap school, but we believe that we save multiple crashes, and our 43% rate of return students speaks to that.

Check out this latest article from the man himself, Nick Ienatsch:
    http://myemail.constantcontact.com/...etter.html?soid=1116659473087&aid=LHmEZvF8JAQ

7. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

american supercamp or road race factory. Danny says you can crash the bikes all you want.

8. IL8APEX

IL8APEX Well-Known Member

^^^^ American Supercamp changed my life.

-T

9. whitarnold

whitarnold Bike #137

JDSA and CSS???? I have never been to a school?

10. AZ-MilleR

AZ-MilleR Well-Known Member

Rickdiculous at Chuckwalla, no question.

http://rickdiculousracing.com/calendar/

Taught by Ken Hill, Shane Turpin and others, based on YCRS, all about safer, faster. I went to their school at Miller this past summer and it was incredible. I'm going to try to get into some of their dates at Chuckwalla this Spring.

11. ZiaThunder

ZiaThunder Girly Racer

YCRS hands down.

JDSA, Peris school and Rickdiclous racing are all based on YCRS. Peris, Ken, Shane all instruct YCRS.

I've done a couple of the schools and had private lessons with a few of them. It was so much information that I still want to go back because things that didn't at the time mean much now are clicking and I want to learn more.

12. RedReplicant

Hey guys, looks like I am set on doing a Rick or YCRS camp in the first quarter of the new year, dependent on scheduling. I haven't been this excited for anything in a long time. :)

13. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

Another for the Rickdiculous guys. If for any reason over the YCRS, there's only ever 5-6 people on track at any time. Adam, Josh, Shane, Ken and everyone else are fantastic and easy to deal with. (Not to imply the ycrs guys aren't)

14. Question about Rickdiculous. Do they provide bikes or can I ride mine? That information is a bit vague on their site. I would prefer to ride mine...

Edit: I should of read further. They rent bikes @ 250-350 a day.

Feb/March sounds good for me for the elite coaching @ chuckwalla. I could use all the help I can get!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  15. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

I've never been to one of the big-money schools, but for a much smaller price Ed Bargy puts on a fantastic school. He gives you a ton of things to think about and practice for the next time (and the next time, and the next time ...) you go to the track.

16. khill

khill Well-Known Member

For sure you can ride your own bike.

Here's the Rick Schedule through June of 2015......spots are selling out...

Ken

---------------

KH Coaching // RR Racing Private Coaching Days

Here’s the scoop on our private days, they are going to be very limited and we worked hard to keep the cost at approx. what a normal coaching day would be with me, except instead of sharing the track with 50+ riders at a normal trackday, you share it with no more than 10 riders, with open track all day.

The cost is 1k per day and $350 per day for bike rental if you want to rent a new R6.

• Open format with a max of 10 riders on the track all day
    • Maximum of 2 riders per instructor with lots of 1-1 coaching time all day
    • Video every session with review immediately after you ride.
    • Snack/Drinks provided
    • Rental bikes available-Fly in and ride our bike! (AMA Prepped bikes available!)
    • Want to ride with us with on an open track but with no coaching? $500 for the day.

2014 Chuckwalla Dates:

- October 29,30,31 (Sold Out)

- November 19,20,21 (Sold Out)

- December 3,4,5, (Sold Out)

2015 Chuckwalla Dates:

- Jan 26-28 (3 Spots Available)
    - Feb 2-4 (Sold Out)
    - March 2-4 (Sold Out)
    - March 9-11 (Coaches Only Workshop)

2015 Thunderhill Dates

• March 31-April 2
    • April 21-23
    • June 2-4 (2 spots left)

Don't forget, YCRS kicks ass as Kyle mentioned. The program at Inde is going to have less riders with way more 1-1 time. YCRS does an amazing job and we just opened some dates in Jan since the Dec dates filled up....

https://ridelikeachampion.com/#menu-item-40

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/...etter.html?soid=1116659473087&aid=LHmEZvF8JAQ

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  17. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Hoping to do YCRS in early Spring.

18. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Really..... Care to elabortate?

19. KWyman133

KWyman133 Well-Known Member

Originally, based on the Freddie Spencer school.

YCRS, JDSA, Peris and Rickdiculous all have instructors who were once involved with Freddie and carry on his influence in one way or another.

20. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

I think your over thinking it. Back it down a notch and take that money and run the wera race school and sign up for some races, run about 10 of them and see where you are.

Also get some shiny new pirelli tires.